• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Authentic Remake of Gold/Silver/Crystal?

Sour-Sauce

Sour Sauce
Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    Hi! I'm looking for the most authentic remake of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal for the GBA.

I don't really care about extra content and features, as I would like to experience a GBA version of generation II that's close to the original as possible. Word-for-word, and event-for-event, would be amazing should that exist.

I've heard of Liquid Crystial, Shiny Gold, and Crystal Dust. I'm not sure which one is the closest remake to its original, and if any other hacks exist.

I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

Aryan 10

Battle Legend
    Years
  • Liquid Crystal is a superb remake of crystal with extra events.....

If you want the same story then play Crystal Dust....

If you want something special then play Shiny Gold or Shiny Gold X.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Crystal Dust stays most true to the original games.
    That said, Liquid Crystal is a great remake as well.

For me those are the top two GSC remakes(among fan games/hacks).

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • I've only ever played Liquid Crystal, but as the posters above me have stated - it's not 100% true to the original. I don't feel like the extra content detracted from the Gen II feel of the game at all though, it was really just a bit of a fresh spin with goodies added into an already amazing story.

Personally I chose Liquid Crystal over Crystal Dust because I preferred the look of Liquid :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    crystaldust is definitely more accurate but it's only johto for now. liquid crystal is complete johto/kanto wise and looks nicer visually but really it's your choice, and crystaldust would probably be your best option for accuracy despite the length

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • Crystal Dust is the most accurate remake of Crystal if you're looking for an almost perfect recreation. Unfortunately, it's only Johto for the time being.
    Liquid Crystal is both regions, but it adds too many new rivals that quite frankly take away from the main story if you ask me.
    Shiny Gold is alright. It's not the most accurate recreation, but it's pretty good. Most of the Johto music is gone though, and the battle with Red doesn't exist.
    If you don't mind playing games in Japanese, Pokemon Golden Sun might be the best way to go. It's an almost perfect remake of Gold from what I remember playing of it. I don't remember if it was actually completed or not though...

Aryan 10

Battle Legend
    Years
  • For now I think there are only five G/S/C remakes for GBA

Liquid Crystal - Best remake with lots of new features
    Shiny Gold - Remake of Gold but lack of features
    Crystal Dust - The most accurate remake of Crystal but unfinished
    Golden Sun - Remake of Gold but this hack is in Japanese
    Pure Gold - Hack of Ruby with FRLG graphics but unfinished

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The most authentic are probably Crystal Dust or Golden Sun. Most other remakes you'll find on here aren't very authentic imo as they add their own content not found in the originals (new locations, custom rivals, etc).

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I only played Liquid Crystal, which played really well imo, so maybe there's that. Crystal Dust, yeah I also hear it's pretty good and authentic. :]

Back