• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what's the point of Everstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    Well, some people don't want a certain pokemon to evolve because maybe their first forms can learn moves the fully-evolved form can't or it can learn those moves earlier. Some people don't like to evolve their pokemon because they think it's cute or something.

Everstone's can be used for passing on natures too. If you breed a pokemon with a Ditto, let the Ditto hold an Everstone and their will be a 50% chance of the baby getting the pokemon's nature. This is the same for female pokemon. It won't work if a male pokemon holds the Everstone though. Oh, and if you're breeding a female pokemon with a Ditto, you need to let the Ditto hold the Everstone otherwise, it won't work.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Also, I think if you give an everstone to a ditto, there is a 50% it will have the same nature. Correct me if I am wrong.

That wasn't until Emerald.

Before that, it just stopped a Pokemon from Evolving when held.

There are some Pokemon that learn different Level-Up moves than their Evolutions. In GSC, it was pretty pointless for that use, as most Pokemon that learned different moves than their Evolutions only could evolve via Stones (Exeggcute, for Example)

R/S Introduced Pokemon like Nincada and Surskit, who had a completely different Movepool than their Evolutions.

Years
  • I never saw the point of Everstones...they always just took up a hold item space, so until Emerald came out (when the natures thing was introduced) I usually just mashed the B button whenever I didn't want one to evolve. Didn't bother me, and I usually didn't want to keep them at a low level for long. ;)

Lusidea

Lolwut
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    Its to do with some pokemon learning certain moves only as pre evolvtions, and some pokemon learning moves much earlier when they havent evolved, and if you want to keep a pokemon to stop evolving, of course.

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    There's the obvious use, but I also believe its used in breeding to get a correct nature.. or maybe its something else. Something like that.

slaughter077

Thread is Getting Way Bigger!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2014
    Also, I think if you give an everstone to a ditto, there is a 50% it will have the same nature. Correct me if I am wrong.

I believe you are correct (not sure about 50% exactly, but the concept is right.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I believe you are correct (not sure about 50% exactly, but the concept is right.)

Yes, when you breed a pokemon with a Ditto holding an everstone, there's a 50% chance of the baby having the same nature as the Ditto. But if you're breeding a female with the Ditto, it won't work if the female is holding the Everstone.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Possibly trading. Yes, that Haunter the NPC trades you that can't evolve annoys a lot of people; but if you're trading an evolution-trade Pokémon to a friend and don't want it to evolve yet for some reason (I think Haunter looks a lot cooler than Gengar...), then you might forget to tell your friend to press B, he might forget to, or he might just be malevolent and decide to let it evolve. If it's got an Everstone, that won't happen. (Then you've just got to hope he'll trade the Pokémon back to you if he'd be enough of a jerk to let it evolve when you didn't want him to. :P)

I think that's the main reason it was introduced. Besides the annoyance of B-mashing if you don't want your Pokémon to evolve, it's one way to guarantee that someone you might temporarily trade a trade-evo Pokémon to won't accidentally let your Pokémon evolve without your say-so.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Everstones are really useful, I use them quite a lot (Cloning ftw).

They come in handy for the type of training I do, which is to level up a Pokémon until it knows its strongest move before evolving it (Eg, train a Magnemite to Lv 45 on Silver so that it knows Zap Cannon and has a full moveset as opposed to waiting til Lv 53 with an evolved Magneton). Removes the inconvenience of having to pause and hammer B after every level raised, anyway.

Willis

Savior of Parcelyte
    Years
  • It is a fifty percent chance to pass on the nature of the mother and if the other mate is a Ditto.

Other then that, its used to stop evolving like stated.

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • Question:

This is a pretty general question, IMHO, but move it if necessary.

I know that IF

~A ditto is holding an everstone
    ~OR the female is holding an everstone

Your egg will have a 50% chance of having the same nature as the everstone-holder.

BUT - If you have a Ditto and a Female pokemon with the same nature, and have them BOTH hold everstones, will the rate be 100%?

I'm guessing no, but whatever.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    Nope, it won't. If a Ditto is breeding with a female, having the female hold the Everstone will do nothing.

TravelerTrainer15

You know Bidoof and Magikarp are too godly for evolution.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • A few reasons. For starters, if you play Smogon Tiers there's an ENTIRE meta-game built around Not Fully Evolved Pokemon, so it benefits that. Or if you just really like a certain Pokemon but DON'T like its evolved form (like me with Dragonair, Dewott, Fletchinder, and Haunter) it's a blessing.

There's also Breeding benefits and the fact that a lot of Pokemon learn certain moves much earlier if they don't evolve first.

A perfect example of a great use for the Everstone is Vigoroth. Slaking is absolutely abysmal in combat because of Truant and it's also not fun to use as a result. Vigoroth, however, is actually surprisingly effective... especially if it uses an Eviolite. So giving it an Everstone while you're training it is beneficial.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The Everstone is just another method that allows people to play the games how they want them to be played. If you want to play the game without evolving a Pokemon, or being forced into the evolution screen, every time it levels up: just slap an Everstone on it. Unevolved Pokemon learning moves faster? Even better. Being able to breed certain Natures on certain Pokemon, when a parent is holding an Everstone? Just another thing, that makes its existence better.

Also, just a little something: in gen 2 you got an Everstone for hatching the Togepi egg. At the same time Misty in the anime had a Togepi. Now guess what Pokemon that Everstone was intended to be for. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back