• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Worst songs and albums of 2017

Years
  • What were the worst things you heard this past year? It shouldn't be difficult to find something, 2017 was a banner year for bad music.

For me it's Look What You Made Me Do, It's Everyday Bro, Body Like A Back Road, and all the indistinguishable mumbly trap music.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Maroon 5's "What Lovers Do" had me dying, almost. Also "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran.

Bay

Years
  • >Half of the responses will be Ed Sheeran and/or Taylor Swift.

To be honest, I actually like a few songs from Ed's Divide, but I'll admit compare to the other 2017 albums I've listened to his is the weakest. It didn't help his album came out fairly early so the other albums get to outshine his and wasn't as enjoyable as Multiply, so Divide is more disappointing than ultra bad. There's probably one or two albums I'm eh too but I can't recall them at the moment.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2021
    would call 2017 overall a great year in music. We had several fantastic releases for this year that I could go on about, but as mentioned, this had some remarkably bad music this year. With that being said, I find Divide just inoffensive at worst. Reputation had some bad moments, but Taylor putting out Endgame and hinting at hopefully Getaway Car as singles makes me much more confident in her place in 2018.

What had no excuse, however, was AJR's "The Click" and Machine Gun Kelly's "Bloom". One of the things that can anger me the most is when a major record label takes a sound of an artist and has one of their artists make that same sound in most corporate, manufactured way possible. AJR and MGK did this in the vein of Jon Bellion and Tech N9ne respectively, resulting in two of the most insufferable projects I heard all year. MGK added salt to the wound by comparing himself to David Bowie, which.... ummm..... NO!

If we were to talk about songs, the entire discography of hits from Kodak Black and 6ix9ine were enough to set me off, but otherwise I couldn't tell enough of the mumble rap hits apart aside from a few of them. In fact, a lot of what I would call the worst songs of the year have a lot of laughable qualities, like "Bad Things", "Body Like A Back Road", and especially "Rake It Up". I could talk about how "Now or Never", "Dusk Til Dawn", or "Issues" frustrate me to no end, but not even these in my opinion are nearly as worth getting mad at.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Divide was a big let down, I can't stress that enough. Castle on a Hill is okay, at least, but fuck, that album is just disappointing. I know it's the cool thing to hate Sheeran now, but I was a big fan of Plus and especially Multiply, so I was stoked for Divide. And it's just bad.

Look What You Made Me Do and whatever the hell the one where Taylor raps is bad, but I don't think I have ever made it any secret that Taylor Swift is just not for me. Even through her changes, she never was an artist I enjoyed, but I feel like with what she releases now as compared to a decade ago, I can look back on that and see the appeal. It's very singer-songwriter, definitely captures the spirit of a teenaged girl, and clearly appeals to that demographic. It does have a certain cheesy, youthful charm. And it's very relatable. But this stuff? I don't get it. I'm not saying she has to be relatable all the time or stick to the same stuff, but it doesn't feel as personal as it once was. And that's coming from someone who has never enjoyed her music.

With the obvious out of the way, I didn't really listen to a lot of music this past year, so it's hard to comment. I didn't enjoy Katy Perry's Witness, apart from a few songs. DJ Khaled's Grateful had fun singles, but the album as a whole is a fucking slog to get through. It's just too damn long and tends to run together. Maroon 5 always gets on my nerves and SZA did not need to be dragged down and into that song. Body Like a Back Road is just?? Weird??? I know what he's going for there, but it just isn't very flattering. If I got told I had a body like a back road, I would assume I'm looking lumpy. Give me a body like a POM bottle. At least with that, I know it's smooth and has shape. A shape I can't possibly make with my body, but I'll take that over a fucking back road.

And I hate to do this to a track that has, from what I've read, increased calls to the suicide help hotline. However, I'm inclined to believe it's not the song itself that does it, but the fact the number is so openly available as a pop song title. But that "who can relate!" line needs to fucking go. Like yeah. I can relate. But why is THAT in the song... I appreciate the idea here, but you gotta. Leave some shit out. That can go. I may be giving this one line too much shit, but honestly...it has NO place there.

Back