• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X/Y Underwhelming

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2017
    I have to say this is the first Pokemon game I really didn't like. Don't get me wrong, the animations are beautiful and it makes the Pokemon come to life, but that really wasn't enough for me.

-First of all, why do we need such an annoying friend group that keeps interrupting you while playing, keeping you from your enjoyment (seriously, the dancing dude is the worst).

-These gym leaders are a push over. I feel like they should be fired and replaced with competent counterparts.

-Why is the day/night change so subtle? Seriously? Nighttime looks exactly like daytime (its true, having a headlight on your bike doesn't change this Gamefreak). Were the little kids scared of the dark? Is the nighttime too scary for you, Georgie? I think so.

-The "improved" story argument makes no sense. The story tailored for half-cognizant 5 year olds isn't better than any of the other games (Black/White were decent, this is tween trash).

-Generally underwhelming tween trash. I'm going back to the good days of Poke-mania.

Y'all say "Genwunner" like a derogatory slur, but we know 7 year olds can't think of more nuanced speech. Its okay if someone doesn't like the trash being spewed to elementary kids nowadays. Unfortunately, you never saw the good aspects of the previous generations. Have fun kiddies.

I rest my case

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I dont really understand where all this hate for XY games come from. They were the FIRST 3ds Pokemon games and Im sure they could have been improved if it had a Z version. like the other gen games. And honsetly, I enjoyed Kalos ALOT and its among my fav games, prefer it over gen 7 and Alola

Years
  • I dont really understand where all this hate for XY games come from. They were the FIRST 3ds Pokemon games and Im sure they could have been improved if it had a Z version. like the other gen games. And honsetly, I enjoyed Kalos ALOT and its among my fav games, prefer it over gen 7 and Alola

I think it's because the plot feels rushed, Team Flare were underwhelming and the characters didn't get much development, if not any. The games did have the largest regional Dex to date, but its crappy stuff tends to overshadow its good stuff.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    X/Y did have it's problems, no doubt about that. Were they terrible games? Perhaps not. The first time through I hated it and actually put the game on hiatus while I worked on other games. The second/third times through I enjoyed a lot more (although it's still my 2nd least favorite generation)

Guest123_x1

I never even finished my copy of Y-in fact, I've only defeated maybe two or three Gym Leaders, and I haven't even touched that game in months. You're far from the only one that's not all that impressed with X/Y.
    -The "improved" story argument makes no sense. The story tailored for half-cognizant 5 year olds isn't better than any of the other games (Black/White were decent, this is tween trash).

-Generally underwhelming tween trash. I'm going back to the good days of Poke-mania.

Y'all say "Genwunner" like a derogatory slur, but we know 7 year olds can't think of more nuanced speech. Its okay if someone doesn't like the trash being spewed to elementary kids nowadays. Unfortunately, you never saw the good aspects of the previous generations. Have fun kiddies.

I rest my case
    I know many people will claim that video games that focus on story are better than others, but my enjoyment of any game is based on how good the gameplay is, not because of a rigid storyline and excessive cutscenes. Despite what people say about it, I find Sun and Moon to be even worse in this regard-a good half of the time playing those games is spent on unnecessary cutscenes. (If cutscenes are necessary to help younger players, how did my generation manage to make it in Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal when they were new, considering most of the player base (including myself) were between 7-12 years old at the time those games first came out?)

I consider myself to be a "genwunner" in some ways, and I'm not ashamed of it at all. To me, Generations I and II felt more like comfort food compared to the most recent entries in the series (particularly X/Y and S/M).

In fact, with the way things are, I might very well finish all three of Red, Blue, and Yellow, and perhaps Gold and Silver as well when they are released, before I ever finish Y or Moon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I think it's because the plot feels rushed, Team Flare were underwhelming and the characters didn't get much development, if not any. The games did have the largest regional Dex to date, but its crappy stuff tends to overshadow its good stuff.

Well, before XY came out I did play the other Pokemon games, but I wasnt SO into the franchie like I am now. XY changed that and made me go crazy about Pokemon (And SM anime brings the hype down but thats meant for another thread). So the facts speak for them selves. I really like Team Flare, I liked their motive and I especially loved the lure of Kalos and the plot. As well EVERY single one of the new Pokemon designs (Actually brought me into competitive play). I dont think that many cut scenes, like in Sun and Moon, enhance the plot and the region lure. It's really subjective and while many people dislike XY, Some acually do.
    I do agree however that it has its flaws and it DID deserve a 3rd version/sequals etc, in order to perfect it. Look at R/S.. I doubt that without Emerald people would have loved gen 3 so much .But that's just my opinion I guess.

Last edited:
    Years
  • XY was... OK. I really didn't like the other NPCs that tag along with you (especially Shauna and the guy who likes dancing Pokemon), there was absolutely NO postgame plot besides the Looker missions in Lumiose, and I didn't see the point of Mega Evolution and thought it was a useless gimmick.

I'd've preferred Game Freak come up with better NPC friends for your character and a post-game plot instead of putting so much emphasis on Mega Evolution. I was hoping this would come with the rumored Z version *sadface*.

Back