• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GB/C Hacks Board Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
  • As you may (or may not) know, I only currently support GBC/GB hacks. Mainly because the majority of GBA hacks are made with nothing but tools. If I see a GBA hack (and this is on a rare occasion) that I like, it's usually made by someone who has a talent, who understands the GBA format and knows how to HEX edit. You've heard this all before.

I only ever browse the hacking board now to check on Prism and Brown's threads. And possibley Miksy's threads. Would it be possible that the mods/admins create a seperate board for GB/C hacks? I know this may sound like a strange request but in practice I think it may let those GB/C hacks I miss come into the lime light.

If you agree with my idea, please post XD

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Personally, I don't see the need for one. Emulation already has plenty of subforums and the Hacks Showcase forum (along with its subforums) already houses hacks of all generations. And if you just want to find GB/C hacks, you can always use the filter feature to find threads with the GB/C prefixes.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Personally, I don't see the need for one. Emulation already has plenty of subforums and the Hacks Showcase forum (along with its subforums) already houses hacks of all generations. And if you just want to find GB/C hacks, you can always use the filter feature to find threads with the GB/C prefixes.
    Added the fact that there aren't that much GB/C hacks out there as much as there are GBA hacks. Like on the Challenges forum, it was made because "challenge" threads have been overwhelming the forum its on.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2014
    I completely support the idea
    gb/c hacks are my faves. I dont even play gba or ds hacks

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
    Years
  • I like the idea of a subforum, if just because it's a bit annoying to sift through all the advance stuff where the tools or advice don't work with the older games. But if there's really so few people, it might be alright to just make a thread where we link to all the in-progress games and tools, and use that thread also as discussion.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • @Red. Ofcourse we use tools, because they are there. If they wherent we'd be coding with hex too. Likewise, if the specific tools where there for GB/GBC, wouldnt you use them?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    @Red. Ofcourse we use tools, because they are there. If they wherent we'd be coding with hex too. Likewise, if the specific tools where there for GB/GBC, wouldnt you use them?

Sora makes a valid point, but everyone is entitle to their own opinion, I guess the message you are trying to put forward is that it takes a larger effort to hack 1st and 2nd gen games as compared to the 3rd generation games.

Then again anyone who is hacking regardless of the generation is putting in a great deal of effort so i respect that.

kringlur

Years
  • Personally, I'm not out to be a hacker. I'm out to make a Pokemon game. I just happen to want to use the games that have the least amount of tools. I'd like it if there were more tools and such, but I'm not going to forfeit my "dream game" by using the advanced games, because I like the Yellow graphics best. I didn't know there would be so little help for the gameboy games (I thought "simpler, older games probably mean it's easier to edit"), but on the other hand I also didn't even know what it takes to make a hack before. If I wanted to make some random parody game and didn't care about it much, I'd use whichever game version was easiest to edit.

Should I go make a thread like I suggested earlier, a list of resources, in-progress games/ideas, and finished games for GB/C stuff?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Would it be possible that the mods/admins create a seperate board for GB/C hacks? I know this may sound like a strange request but in practice I think it may let those GB/C hacks I miss come into the lime light.

It wouldn't be that organized if the only separate thread was for GB/C. But if they were to separate the hacks by all generations, it would make sense. A thread for 1st gen hacks, 2nd gen hacks, 3rd gen hacks, 4th gen hacks, and 5th gen hacks.

kringlur

Years
  • But if they were to separate the hacks by all generations, it would make sense. A thread for 1st gen hacks, 2nd gen hacks, 3rd gen hacks, 4th gen hacks, and 5th gen hacks.

I've seen it done on other forum sites, and considering we have different tools between some generations... I wondered when I first joined this site why it wasn't already organized like that.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Honestly, it's a good idea. It's the reasoning behind it that I have a problem with.

Say you need to paint a backdrop for a play. You have the paint, and everything's ready to start. Do you dip your hand in the paint and start smearing it across the set, all while calmly ignoring the paintbrushes that are right next to you?

No. You don't.

If the second generation of games had all the tools that the advance generation has, you'd be using them too. Does that make the hack worse because you can do the same thing I can with a click of a button while I poured through the hex? No.

When it all comes down to it, effort is irrelevant to everyone but the hacker. I could be the worst painter in the world, do everything the long "right and pure" way for weeks and weeks, and still produce a backdrop that looks like crap. Likewise, a painter who's good and takes shortcuts could paint a great one with less effort. Who does the effort matter to in the long run? Not the audience watching the play, it matters to the individual painters.

Advance Gen hackers use tools because they're there. Sure, it's less effort, but it's the end product that matters to the audience. Refine your reasoning, because it really is the same rehashed invalid argument.

But maybe a specific searchable tag could be added just for G/S/C hacks, tools, and tutorials so a subforum isn't needed. Then everything would be just a quick search away. The only problem is that the lurkers can't use the search function, they'd need to register first.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Honestly, a GBC section is far from necessary. It would be pretty empty and I highly doubt it would ever go past a page. A special tag for searching, however, would be pretty cool, I think.

Hm. Actually, I'm gonna add on to Deokishisu's point. Sure, I'm off topic; sue me.

I don't get why you dislike ROM Hackers who use tools. What does it matter to you whether they use tools or not? Tools are a human thing; it's one of the biggest things that differentiates us from other animals. To criticise people for the use of tools is almost equivalent to taking multiple steps backward down the evolutionary chain. Humans are tool-using animals, for goodness sakes.

You know, I bet that you're using a web browser to look at this page and read my rant. That's a tool. I bet that to get to the page, you used a Bookmark. If not, you went and typed "www.pokecommunity.com" into that convenient bar up the top of your browser. And you know what? You're using a tool! "www.pokecommunity.com" is not the actual website name; it's a domain name. That's laziness! That's using a tool! You should be typing in "174.133.255.180" instead, because that's this forum's IP address. Why are you using a tool and simplifying your browsing experience? I bet you also use a computer with a GUI. Why are you using that? Tool!

The answer, I think you'll find, is the same as why we use tools. Because we're doing it for recreation! For fun! I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't hack to look cool; I don't hack so I can feel good about my self because I write in hex, making me superior to other people. I hack because I can, because it's fun, because I want to exercise my creative ability. Taking that into consideration, why would I want to spend time coding inefficiently using hex when I could speed up my time and make it actually fun by using tools? "But that means I'm not a real hacker!" I don't care.

Now, I find there are two types of hackers. Those that spend their time researching the game, sorting through the code and figuring this out. They enjoy what they do, and the like learning stuff and helping out others. These guys often lack somewhat in the creative departement and choose to not make hacks, but tools. They like it and they spend their time for the betterment of others. Most of them don't make real hacks, because they'd rather do something else. These, I guess, you could call 'true' hackers.

Then there are others, like me. I don't like messing with walls of incomprehensible code, and I have quite the short attention span. Instead, I use the tools and information that the other guys made or found so that I can make a hack. I, as well as a very large group of the ROM-hacking population, use the hard work of the 'true' hackers to make hacks. The ROM Hacking beast is a cooperative one - 'hackers' put in their technical prowess and us 'modders' our creative abilities to create amazing hacks for everyone to enjoy.

To deny tools is to deny the tool creators their hard work. They make the tools for us to use; for us to enjoy and to make good hacks. It's how ROM hacks are made.

Now, don't take this wrongly, I'm not trying to say that you're wrong; it is, after all, your own opinion. You are entitled to one, no matter how much we dislike it. Hate tools all you like, but what I am telling you to do is not strut around spouting it like the word of God.

Because it's not.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Alrighty. So, this thread has gotten horribly off-topic. Frankly, I can't see the Administrators supporting the idea that this thread was originally proposing and seeing how the thread isn't even discussing that idea anymore, I'm going to close this.

But maybe a specific searchable tag could be added just for G/S/C hacks, tools, and tutorials so a subforum isn't needed.

That's why we have prefixes for threads in the Hacks Showcase (and its subsections).

Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back