• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Porygon ban

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Made this thread after being reminded of the unfair porygon ban from CodeHelmet's post

Porygon did nothing wrong, it was Pikachu that primarily caused the flashing. Yet they have to take it out on an awesome pokemon even though the animators shouldn't even animated a bunch of crappy flashing in the first place. Now Porygon and consequentially its evolutions Porygon2 and Porygon-Z will never get any spotlight while Pikachu will be hogging the spotlight for the rest of time until it becomes engraved in the minds of children everywhere, eventually becoming the first word every japanese toddler speaks when they learn to talk.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The anime is really uptight because it's for babies.

Earthquake also got permabanned due to Japan's recent earthquakes.

But they were never going to write out their star Pokemon. Of course they'd spin the story and pass the blame.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Porygon's ban was very unfair to it, and honestly, they could have put it in another episode many years later after the incident...since it's clearly obvious Porygon was not the cause of the incident. Porygon2 & Z at least got very, very, very split second appearances in one Pokemon movie intro, though. Once. Then never again.

As for Earthquake, that's completely understandable. The 2011 earthquake tsunami (and whatever anime episode banned the move, that unaired Whiscash one, right?) was quite devastating. I really don't think Earthquake should return to the anime after that.

Also...the anime is not for babies, it's for grade school to middle school children. Children's emotions aren't as developed as you think, so they'd be sensitive to certain things, you know. =/

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I could somewhat understand Porygon's episode being banned, since it DID cause a lot of kids to be hospitalized (and it nearly got the anime cancelled). Unfortunately, they didn't need to block Porygon out, since as some people pointed out, it wasn't even Porygon's fault, and if anything it was Pikachu's fault.

So far as the Earthquake move being banned, well, to be fair, the event that got it banned was devastating even by Japan's standards (I think the only time it got even worse than that earthquake-wise was the one a couple years back, and that was mostly because the earthquake/tsunami managed to also damage a nearby nuclear power plant.). Still, it stinks that the earthquake move had to be banned as a result, especially when Japan's been prone to earthquakes for quite some time. Here in Georgia, we barely even HAVE earthquakes, and yet we still sometimes get them, yet no one raises too much of a fuss other than talking about how we got one in an unusual manner. I would understand if Japan rarely gets them.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I could somewhat understand Porygon's episode being banned, since it DID cause a lot of kids to be hospitalized (and it nearly got the anime cancelled). Unfortunately, they didn't need to block Porygon out, since as some people pointed out, it wasn't even Porygon's fault, and if anything it was Pikachu's fault.

So far as the Earthquake move being banned, well, to be fair, the event that got it banned was devastating even by Japan's standards (I think the only time it got even worse than that earthquake-wise was the one a couple years back, and that was mostly because the earthquake/tsunami managed to also damage a nearby nuclear power plant.). Still, it stinks that the earthquake move had to be banned as a result, especially when Japan's been prone to earthquakes for quite some time. Here in Georgia, we barely even HAVE earthquakes, and yet we still sometimes get them, yet no one raises too much of a fuss other than talking about how we got one in an unusual manner. I would understand if Japan rarely gets them.

As stated, Pikachu caused the seizure flashes. Porygon did nothing.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
What they should have done was just ban the episode itself but still let Porygon have its fun with everyone else.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
It sucks that Porygon and it's evolutions can never appear in the Pokemon anime again, all because of that one banned episode. Like others have said it wasn't even Porygon's fault, it was Pikachu's fault.

Years
I think it is clear the reason the entire Porygon line got retconned out of the anime is because the writers probably didn't want bad memories reminding viewers of the episode despite 20 years passing since then. Yet somehow, Porygon-Z got a voice in the PokePark games despite no proper anime appearance.

Last edited:

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
Porygon obviously took the fall for Pikachu since there was no way that the show was gonna ditch its biggest cash cow. And it's easy to see why Porygon's infamy would cause the whole evolutionary family to be banned (for the most part, cameos notwithstanding).

And as for Earthquake, I don't see what's so special about the move to begin with. From an animation standpoint, it had always looked dull to me, so idgaf that it's banned in recent sagas. :p

Last edited:
Years
And as for Earthquake, I don't see what's so special about the move to begin with. From an animation standpoint, it had always looked dull to me, so idgaf that it's banned in recent sagas. :p

From an animation standpoint Earthquake would be an awesome move if the animators weren't so lazy.

The Earthquake issue was that in 2004, there was an episode of Advanced Generation that was never aired, which was going to feature Barboach and Whiscash. A devastating earthquake hit Japan a week before the episode's intended airdate, and because of how bad the disaster was, they knew it would be in extreme bad taste to air the episode, which was why it got pulled from the schedule and has never made the light of day.

The move Earthquake got banned from the anime because natural disasters are a very sensitive subject in Japan, and they don't like being reminded of such disasters in an obvious manner.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
I also just realized that Kadabra might also be banned in the anime these days since the last time we saw one was in 2005 (with the exception of a quick cameo in Movie 15). So it looks like Kadabra followed in Porygon's footsteps.

Last edited:
Years
I also just realized that Kadabra might also be banned in the anime these days since the last time we saw one was in 2005 (with the exception of a quick cameo in Movie 15). So it looks like Kadabra followed in Porygon's footsteps.

You've got Uri Geller to blame for that. In 2000, he tried to sue Nintendo by claiming Kadabra was made in the image of him as well as its Japanese name sounding like his own name, and called the Pokemon "occult". He lost the lawsuit, but it definitely has scarred Nintendo so much that Kadabra got completely erased from the TCG, and of course hasn't made an anime appearance since that opening episode of the Battle Frontier saga.

Last edited:
Back