• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Crystal PLUS

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2018
    Pokemon Crystal PLUS (BETA)

Introduction

The main goal of this hack is to improve Pokemon Crystal by rebalancing the level curve, increasing the diversity of wild pokemon and trainer pokemon, and other tweaks to the game. This hack doesn't add any moves, pokemon or types. It's a simple hack made for people that enjoy crystal and want a more refined experience. I know this isn't a new concept and there is probable a million of these types of hacks but I just couldn't find one that was to my liking.

What this hack is

- An authentic gen 2 experience in the Johto and Kanto regions
    - A better level curve with better overall difficulty progression
    - The ability to use Pokemon that were originally not obtainable until much later in the game or not at all, version exclusive pokemon, and pokemon that originally evolved through trading.

What this hack isn't

- A kaizo hack, or a hack that is made overly difficult.
    - A 251 hack (yet)
    - A new region
    - A hack that introduces new moves, types, pokemon or mechanics to gen 2

Features

- 245 obtainable pokemon
    - Every trainer in the game has been retooled to be more interesting and later in the game, more challenging.
    - All routes have changes to the pokemon that inhabit them, Pokemon originally not found until later in the game such as houndour, tyrouge and larvitar are available much earlier.
    - Retooled Gym leaders, Elite Four and Champion.
    - Evolutionary Stones available at the Goldenrod Department Store
    - Trade evolutions changed to level up or stone evolution. Example: Graveler evolves into Golem at level 38.
    - Entirely new Rival team
    - Entirely new trades
    - Practically anything with wings can learn HM Fly

So why should I play?

If you're anything like me you've played through Crystal 1000 times. This hack is meant to become your go-to hack when you're in the mood to play through it again. The team combinations possible in this hack are much higher than in base Crystal. The level balancing in the game has been improved as to not make most of the trainer battles in the middle to late game trivial. Bottom line is that this is a simple hack, intended to make Pokemon Crystal more enjoyable overall.

Screenshots

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_001.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_002.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_003.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_007.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_008.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_009.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_010.png

Crystal_PLUS_BETA1_011.png

Dowload link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bc6uz3fut16v8hh/CrystalPLUS_Beta1.0.zip

Release notes

The game is finished up to Red. I have plans to make the legendary birds, Mewtwo, and mew obtainable at some point in the future. If you find any bugs, please post them on this thread so I can fix them. Or e-mail me on my Gmail.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2022
    What are gym leaders Pokémon and level? and if you don't want to give it out just put them in a spoiler tags. Thx

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Is there a system for infinitely reusable TMs or a system that allows you to get multiple TMs? I think the ability to buy duplicates of every TM would be neat. TPP Anniversary Red had a new floor under the Celadon poke mart for that

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2018
    Is there a system for infinitely reusable TMs or a system that allows you to get multiple TMs? I think the ability to buy duplicates of every TM would be neat. TPP Anniversary Red had a new floor under the Celadon poke mart for that

I've thought about this but I haven't been able to find a way to implement it yet.

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
    Years
  • Hello.

I tried your game this afternoon, and even though i liked the fact that you changed most trainers and make them stronger (which itself alone is really good!), I'm a little disappointed... I'll be honest with you. But, you did great efforts so far! ;) I stopped my game at Goldenrod City's mart due to my disapointment! (In fact, I was worried of something since I began palying your game!)

What I didn't like in your game:
    - The fact we can buy Moon Stones for FREE! Seriously, it really doesn't make sense at all! It means we can get millions of moon stones (which are known to be rare) for free! I really doesn't make sense. I know it's the same in the original game (It's not your fault, and I'm not blaming you!) But, you could have made moon stones obtainable in the Game Corner for a price of coins, or by putting an item trader (example, a person who give you a moon stone in exchange for a stardust), or by putting new item balls on the field which are moon stones (though you need flags for this), or not putting them on sale at all (it would make the game challenging)... It's just suggestions, but the choice is yours! ;)
    - The dialogs are all the same as the original game.
    - Marts haven't really changed too, beside the one I stopped in Goldenrod City...
    - Same story as well! (But I was aware of this, so don't worry, it's not a big problem!)
    - No new areas (well, i haven't seen one, but I was also aware of this...)

However, here's what I liked in your game:
    - The fact you changed most trainers in your game! It's really good, coz it makes your game different! Good job for this! ;)
    - Different In-Game trades (Well, I've seen the one in Violet City, and it's a good one!) ;)
    - A slight change in Smoochum's moveset. (Switching Powder and Lick was a very good idea!) I don't know if there are other changes in movesets, but changes in movesets is always good for making a game different, as long as it makes sense! ;) Good job for this! ;)
    - The fact you keep the 251 original Pokémon and original moves! It's important for trading with other games, including the originals! ;) It was a reason for me to try your game! Thank you! ;)
    - The new wild Pokémon in certain areas! It really makes your game differetn than the original, and it's good in itself, as long as it makes sense of course! ;)

Bref, your game is good on the basis, but it could have some fixes and improvements (such as the things that I told you before!). I don't know if you,re a beginner in game making, but your game has potential! I'm sure if you fix the issues I pointed, your game will be greater and better! :) And I'll be interested tio play it again! ;)

If you need some help, you could visit my website about game making for Gen 2: https://pokemongsscriptingeg23.wordpress.com/

I don't want to blame you! I was a beginner once, but with experience and passion, we can become better! I could try to help if you wish, coz I make games with Gold versions generally, and I know lots of things! ;)

I wish best success and luck in your next projects, if you have some! ;)

Take care of yourself! ;)

Baadar

I'm nothing...
    Years
  • A small tweak i'd like to see is one i saw in a hack a long time ago... Swap Ghost from Physical to Special and Dark from Special to Physical... Such a small and "insignificant" change makes the type a bit more viable even on mons that don't have the stab.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    A small tweak i'd like to see is one i saw in a hack a long time ago... Swap Ghost from Physical to Special and Dark from Special to Physical... Such a small and "insignificant" change makes the type a bit more viable even on mons that don't have the stab.
    There's more good than bad effects, but I can't really say it's small and without hurting others. Here's what would happen compared to vanilla gameplay:

1. Sneasel gets Stab. Houndoom, Murkrow, and Umbreon aren't really effected due to stat mechanics and them having near equal stats in both sides of attack. Tyranitar gets buffed, but could already use Crunch beforehand.
    2. Ghosts get stab. This is good for both ghosts, no question there.
    3. Some Normal types lose Shadow Ball's viability. This hits more than you think, for example remember that Snorlax gets no Crunch until next gen. Some Normal types with higher special also gain Shadow Ball as a nice option in return. Some other Pokemon are also effected by this, but not as much (Weezing for example wouldn't really care). Also Feint Attack is viable for more Pokemon, especially via egg moves.
    4. Eeveelutions gain Shadow Ball, except Flareon who could use its better attack with it beforehand (which in turn decreases sp. def for its fire moves). On the flip side, the reverse happens with Bite (whatever, but at least Flareon gets something).
    5. Some Psychic types can use Shadow Ball now, most notable is probably Alakazam to go with the punches (though it already could run Hidden Power Dark if really needed).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Are you still working on this hack? also how do you evolve pokemon who require special items like metal coat etc,?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Anyone know if this hack fixes the apricorn balls? Is there any documentation on encounters?

Back