• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writing some ideas on paper...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Sit down with your ol' pal Meganium and hear me out.

So, all week (sadly I was so busy with work and I managed to get some time out), I've been trying to think of some ideas for new roleplays as well as bring back a couple of roleplays that I've done in the past, especially one that had some success in. I used to be big on roleplaying 3…4…maybe 5 years ago and I remember joining a wide variety of roleplays, especially sandbox roleplays where I first got my start. So, quite honestly, I don't remember of even know the majority of y'all. I was a little bummed that Pokemon Trainer Academy got inactive for more than one month because that was the roleplay I've been meaning to join/return.
    I was hoping if we could bring back something similar to Pokemon Trainer Academy, so that way we can welcome new roleplayers, as well as bring a simple roleplay where you can just do whatever as long as they abide by the rules. I haven't fully fleshed out the idea yet, but I will come back to that once I am not too busy.

I also have two ideas for roleplays. I'm a huge Splatoon fan and I can't get over the hype of Splatoon 2 coming soon to the Switch during the summer. I kinda want to do a roleplay of that with an original plot. Part of me wants to bring back the concept of the Octarians from Octo Valley taking over Inkopolis but I also want to do a much original story.

Then there's this. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292793

I need to do a rework on this, and I would like to bring it back! I'd like to add more characters since Smash 4 came out, so the roster has increased as well as more items and stuff. I could scrap the plot altogether and try coming up with a brand new one.

Again, those are just fresh, penned on paper ideas that are currently in progress. I'd like to know what everyone thinks! I know I'm stepping into a new generation of roleplaying but I don't mind adjusting.

Thanks guys!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Welcome to the new generation, baby.

Recalling what I saw of Trainer's Academy some months back, there were some elements I wasn't too partial towards—the absence of an evident objective, the excruciating mundanity of being limited to a school setting, and on a much smaller scale, Gary Oak being a Pokémon Professor!? I do think something can be made out of the concept though, and of course I was only an onlooker so my perspective could be skewed somewhat. I know a lot of people are automatically turned off by school-setting RPs but I think, with the right amount of creativity invested, they can be a great deal of fun. It's how I can like Hogwarts while barely recalling academies like Beacon from RWBY; Beacon relies on preconceptions of how high schools function and bulk of the students' experiences there are far less interesting or relevant to the plot than when they're engaged in the outside world. Meanwhile, the Harry Potter series puts an emphasis of Hogwarts' defining principles and policies, fleshes out its history and importance in the minds of the characters, as well as makes the location overall feel necessary. Essentially, Hogwarts incorporated better world-building skills, in my opinion, and if Trainer's Academy did or its new iteration does do the same, I can see in being a fun time.

I would be cautious about making a school RP a free-range sandbox, though, because even in an interesting setting, the purpose of any school is for students to follow a strict order of daily proceedings—going from English to Science to Mathematics; the nature of school in itself contradicts the liberty prioritized by a sandbox because what else is a student to do other than go to Location X, whether it be his/her dorm or the study hall? At the same time, I don't know whether Trainer's Academy was based off of high school or further education. I'd think, if it were the former, to make it more free-range-friendly, model it after a college, since then students' schedules aren't necessarily set on rails and, when they aren't expected to attend classes, they have time to do whatever.

UHH, and SPLATOON ROLEPLAY. I think a combat-heavy Splatoon RP would actually be really fucking fun. I have no idea how many people are conscious about the game here, other than my boy, Foxy, but I'd love to see how you would handle it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Wow, thanks! <3

Yeah, I'm gonna aim for a combat-heavy plot for the Splatoon roleplay. I'm also gonna try to make it more inviting for beginners where they can have the freedom to customize. I'm gonna draft a plot probably tonight.

The Trainer's Academy was basically your average Pokemon Trainer's School...like those ones you always encounter in the games. Except the fact that it's actually a boarding school located on a secret island and you have to learn basic pokemon trainer stuff (like Pokemon biology, battle tactics, etc), and battle other trainers/players. You can play as a student trainer or a professor. I played both in the past. :3

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    The Trainer's Academy was basically your average Pokemon Trainer's School...like those ones you always encounter in the games. Except the fact that it's actually a boarding school located on a secret island and you have to learn basic pokemon trainer stuff (like Pokemon biology, battle tactics, etc), and battle other trainers/players. You can play as a student trainer or a professor. I played both in the past. :3
    The "secret island" setting definitely sounds intriguing. I might even give an incentive for characters to stray from campus. Do you think the school in the reboot would have a level of mystery to it, too? Similar to the many weaving hallways and supernatural rumors of or surrounding Hogwarts (Hogwarts is, like, my go-to "cool school").

I don't usually advocate for playing more than one character in a roleplay and I think playing a character on a higher level of authority from another might spread the game a little thin in terms of what individual characters can discover, how a character can preoccupy himself/herself, etc. if that makes sense. I also think activity would be harder to guarantee when players also controlled the teachers within the school; if, say, Malignant who plays the Battle Strategies professor is inactive, so is that professor, and Ech, who wanted to play out a Battle Strategies class, is severely disadvantaged. For a sandbox setting, As the Dust Settles overall had the best idea, making professors dependent on "NPC" characters they create in-character that anyone could then bring to life in proceeding posts. I would want to see how the professor-student dynamic was handled in the original thread, though, before I jump to too many conclusions though.

I'm looking forward to that Splatoon draft!! Love me some squid-kids with supa shootas.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hello, you may remember me from PTA. I know your name, but it has been a while since I have RPed.

I am also wanting to see another PTA RP. I don't know if it should be exactly the same, and I think it should be a bit bigger than an island. I think it should also be far more wide spread. If you are just on an island with 1 school and 1 town, you run out of stuff to do and it is hard to spend so long on just an island without a change. When I joined, it was starting to slowly becoming inactive. We were on a single JP for almost a year before more activity was brought back in, but then it completely vanished because it took forever for that JP to be put in.

But yes, I would really really love another PTA RP. And I have had hopes for someone to make a new one or to revive PTA in a way. I do think there needs to be some type of storyline in it, as there wasn't much of a storyline in PTA it was almost too sandboxy.

I can't say much on the others as I have not played Splatoon before, and I don't know much about Nintendo games outside of Super Smash Bros, Pokemon and Mario Kart. But if that one RP is similar to Smash Bros, I am not sure I like the idea too much if it is nothing, but fighting like the games. I think it would become boring after a while.

As for the combat heavy plot, I understand it, but again, I think it could be boring after a while. And I find it really hard to write stuff that involves guns or gun like things. Playing a combat heavy game is fun, but just don't know if it would be too fun with RP.

If you do make a new PTA or something similar, please please please let me know.

One reason I liked "As the Dust Settles" was because I found it similar to PTA, but my group completely fell apart before we even got to the first mission and we had so much planning in the mission. I think combining the things from both the RPs could be amazing. Especially if you divided it into Team Valor, Mystic, and Instinct, and possibly a 4th team.

Last edited:

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I was just thinking last night about how much I missed pokemon trainer rps. I wasn't in PTA but hey, I think I can imagine what it was rather easily.

I've never played splatoon so I can't really judge too much on that...

A smash RP? Strange I hadn't heard or come across it before. I'm kind of a huge smash fanboy. So my thoughts on "remastering" that would be something like:
    giphy.gif

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm already working on revamping the Smash roleplay. I looked back at the IC post and I realize the mistakes I made (it was so cringey). That's one roleplay I'd like to go back!

Hello, you may remember me from PTA. I know your name, but it has been a while since I have RPed.

I am also wanting to see another PTA RP. I don't know if it should be exactly the same, and I think it should be a bit bigger than an island. I think it should also be far more wide spread. If you are just on an island with 1 school and 1 town, you run out of stuff to do and it is hard to spend so long on just an island without a change. When I joined, it was starting to slowly becoming inactive. We were on a single JP for almost a year before more activity was brought back in, but then it completely vanished because it took forever for that JP to be put in.

But yes, I would really really love another PTA RP. And I have had hopes for someone to make a new one or to revive PTA in a way. I do think there needs to be some type of storyline in it, as there wasn't much of a storyline in PTA it was almost too sandboxy.

I can't say much on the others as I have not played Splatoon before, and I don't know much about Nintendo games outside of Super Smash Bros, Pokemon and Mario Kart. But if that one RP is similar to Smash Bros, I am not sure I like the idea too much if it is nothing, but fighting like the games. I think it would become boring after a while.

As for the combat heavy plot, I understand it, but again, I think it could be boring after a while. And I find it really hard to write stuff that involves guns or gun like things. Playing a combat heavy game is fun, but just don't know if it would be too fun with RP.

If you do make a new PTA or something similar, please please please let me know.

One reason I liked "As the Dust Settles" was because I found it similar to PTA, but my group completely fell apart before we even got to the first mission and we had so much planning in the mission. I think combining the things from both the RPs could be amazing. Especially if you divided it into Team Valor, Mystic, and Instinct, and possibly a 4th team.

I don't think I remember you when I was part of the roleplay. Remember, it's been almost 3-4 years since I was last active. xD

I really really love your idea of sorting students by GO teams. It's a great idea and I think people can use their GO personas from their account. I was leaning towards making a Pokemon GO roleplay, but my ideas weren't up to par. Back then we separated students by Suicune, Raikou, and Entei.

I will let you know if I do decide to make a new, revamped version of PTA...except it won't be called PTA, or be extremely sandboxy...but I really want to make this roleplay beginner-friendly.

Keep them coming, guys. I'm actively working behind the scenes right now so I should get some work in by this weekend or so. Really appreciate the input <3

Back