• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Alola-mon Competitively?

GloomyFrost13

Commander of the Almighty Bergmite Army
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Emergency Exit can activate multiple times per battle if Golisopod gets over 50%, then gets knocked into that range again. Emergency Exit also synergizes well with its signature move, First Impression, which only works on the first turn Golisopod is in battle. Golisopod also has access to Leech Life, allowing it to help remain healthy throughout the battle.

If anything, I can see some good sides in having Emergency Exit: Golisopod can fire off a priority attack before it hits 50% from an enemy attack, which allows you to make a switch into something more appropriate. Speaking of priority, Golisopod learns three priority moves (First Impression, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch) to make up for its terrible Speed.

Yeah, this. Golisopod has become my favorite Bug-Type (even over Mega Beedrill) because of this. Just one question: Swords Dance with a Sitrus Berry or Leech Life with something else?

Years
  • I actually use the Ghost/Flying and Psyhic/Flying Oricorio because I notice most people carry Mimikkyu on there team with Sword Dance. But you must absolutely must have Tapu Lele and Normal Type on your team!

The little bird is absolutely a mind-game dancer. Other then that, I don't how else you can use it. I also like using it to speed up slow Pokémon to, if the birds survive or it's fast enough.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I actually use the Ghost/Flying and Psyhic/Flying Oricorio because I notice most people carry Mimikkyu on there team with Sword Dance. But you must absolutely must have Tapu Lele and Normal Type on your team!

The little bird is absolutely a mind-game dancer.

How does that deal with Mimikyu at all? Wouldn't the Fire-type forme be better, seeing as it's not weak to Ghost and also resists Fairy? Both Lele and Oricorio are slower than Mimikyu, so unless you're running Scarf, you won't be able to outspeed it.

Years
  • How does that deal with Mimikyu at all? Wouldn't the Fire-type forme be better, seeing as it's not weak to Ghost and also resists Fairy? Both Lele and Oricorio are slower than Mimikyu, so unless you're running Scarf, you won't be able to outspeed it.

Well people use shadow sneak while the psychic terrain is up, then I switch out and use Oricorio Hurricane to get rid of Mimikkyu ability (some people had the audacity to still use sword dance while I was still in) then I use agility then baton pass to Alolan Dugtrio and use Iron Head. BAM! Dead Ragdoll.

Alternatively I could just burn Mimikyu since his disguise ability doesn't work against Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave. But that's boring. I like to prolong my sweet victory.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well people use shadow sneak while the psychic terrain is up, then I switch out and use Oricorio Hurricane to get rid of Mimikkyu ability (some people had the audacity to still use sword dance while I was still in) then I use agility then baton pass to Alolan Dugtrio and use Iron Head. BAM! Dead Ragdoll.

Alternatively I could just burn Mimikyu since his disguise ability doesn't work against Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave. But that's boring. I like to prolong my sweet victory.

Wut?! Why would anyone use Shadow Sneak while Psychic Terrain is up. Oricorio wouldn't even get a chance to Hurricane as it's slower than Mimikyu and easily OHKOed after a SD. Your Dugtrio would then come in, break the disguise then get OHKOed. Your "sweet victory" relies on your opponent playing worse than an NPC Gym Leader.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I would say Lurantis. It's hidden ability is completly useless, and it's default ability is just decent. Then you have the stats. It has terrible speed, and it's highest stat is attack, even though it has mostly special moves!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I would say Lurantis. It's hidden ability is completly useless, and it's default ability is just decent. Then you have the stats. It has terrible speed, and it's highest stat is attack, even though it has mostly special moves!

Correction: Lurantis' physical move pool is better than its special one. It has interesting coverage options like Brick Break and Leech Life. Then again, it doesn't have the Speed to do much, and Serperior outclasses it as a Contrary user.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Correction: Lurantis' physical move pool is better than its special one. It has interesting coverage options like Brick Break and Leech Life. Then again, it doesn't have the Speed to do much, and Serperior outclasses it as a Contrary user.
    Ah, I was counting all the hidden power types as different moves. I suppose if you didn't do that, it's physical pool would be bigger.

GloomyFrost13

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Wut?! Why would anyone use Shadow Sneak while Psychic Terrain is up. Oricorio wouldn't even get a chance to Hurricane as it's slower than Mimikyu and easily OHKOed after a SD. Your Dugtrio would then come in, break the disguise then get OHKOed. Your "sweet victory" relies on your opponent playing worse than an NPC Gym Leader.

That's... not a nice thing to say...
    If you're gonna give advice, please don't be so aggressive or patronising.

Years
  • That's... not a nice thing to say...
    If you're gonna give advice, please don't be so aggressive or patronising.

At no point did I give any advice. I was pointing out the flaws in TrendyHipsta's strategy. Could I have been less *patronizing? Sure, but it was done for emphasis. We're discussing the viability of Pokemon at a competitive level which means we assume our opponents have a decent understanding of game mechanics and Pokemon sets. Proposing a strategy that relies on your opponent running a sub-optimal set and horribly misplaying isn't likely to succeed against an NPC Gym Leader let alone an actual person. On the off chance it does work, it's not something you should make a generalization about e.g. "Well people use shadow sneak while the psychic terrain is up".

I realize it's hard to gauge tone when reading text but my comment was far from aggressive, more surprised than anything as the situation described wasn't something I could see happening. There are beginner players reading through threads like these for ideas, I don't feel like giving them false information.

GloomyFrost13

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    At no point did I give any advice. I was pointing out the flaws in TrendyHipsta's strategy. Could I have been less *patronizing? Sure, but it was done for emphasis. We're discussing the viability of Pokemon at a competitive level which means we assume our opponents have a decent understanding of game mechanics and Pokemon sets. Proposing a strategy that relies on your opponent running a sub-optimal set and horribly misplaying isn't likely to succeed against an NPC Gym Leader let alone an actual person. On the off chance it does work, it's not something you should make a generalization about e.g. "Well people use shadow sneak while the psychic terrain is up".

I realize it's hard to gauge tone when reading text but my comment was far from aggressive, more surprised than anything as the situation described wasn't something I could see happening. There are beginner players reading through threads like these for ideas, I don't feel like giving them false information.

Ok, look, I'm new here. I don't know what PC sees as acceptable conduct or not, but from where I stand, your reply seemed like a straight up insult is all.

Years
  • I think Shiinotic looks to be pretty terrible. A very low BST of only 405 (Torracat has 420 for reference) makes it struggle to do anything particularly well. It has some great moves in Spore, Leech Seed, maybe Strength Sap but won't live long enough to use them. Maybe it can be run as some sort of Special Wall but there are far better options. It can't take hits too well and has unreliable recovery (Moonlight). I don't know enough about Doubles to comment on its viability but I assume it would be bad there too.

Years
  • I find it understandable why ShanWow said what he said. Oricorio are very gimmicky Pokémon but their stats are lacking to take hits. That and everyone and their mother uses Xuritree online. Even the electric form can't stand up to it. : /

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I take back what I said about Alolan Marowak, I completely forgot about Thick Club and Shadow Bone is a great new move for it. It's good against Electric types because of Lightningrod and its Ice resistance. It's also good for Pheromosa so there's that, too.

RetroBacon

~ <3
    Years
  • Pyukumyuku is absolutely terrible from what I've heard. No idea about any of the Alolan forms really but Ninetales might be somewhat usable. The rest seem underwhelming at initial glance.

Some brilliant bastard found a way to use the little sea cucumber! It requires a lot of support and prediction, but Mimikyu can be a beast.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think Toucannon. It may have a ton of Attack but it's slow which doesn't pay off from it not being very bulky.... It's signature move, "Beak Blast" is pretty neat from the possibility of giving your opponent a burn, but again it's not that bulky, Beak Blast always goes after its opponent, and that's basically the only good Physical move it has from having a limited move pool. + there are other Bird Pokémon that are wayyyy better than Toucannon.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Other than Gumshoo and Alolan Raticate, because really the majority of early route normal types are crutch characters, I would have to say Oricorio, because it struggles even in doubles with its lackluster movepool, and Crabominable, because Ice types in general are bad competitively thus putting their existence as a type in question.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    I think Vikavolt because it's slow and the defenses aren't too good. It doesn't have good physical but only special attack is good. Fire type Pokemons can screw over Vikavolt since it doesn't have coverage for that.

Back