• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon retypings

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    If you had the power to go back in time and design these games which pokemon would you change the typing of? Like Magneton.

I'd make Ampharos Electric/Dragon like it was originally intended. It's too much of an awesome typing to pass up

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Butterfree as an early game Bug/Psychic type would be far more interesting

It can already learn confusion and psychic, but can't learn fly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Typhlosion - Fire/Ground
    Meganium - Grass/Poison
    Feraligatr - Water/Ice

Those typings alone would have made all three SO much better in the games. ESPECIALLY the Chikorita family.

Politoed - Water/Grass. Not sure why but always gave me that vibe. Woulda been so much more fun to use but probably wouldn't have made a difference tbh.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • The Type wasn't revealed until much later than Gen2, but I feel that Celebi should've got Grass/Fairy instead of staying Grass/Psychic. It's movepool would probably need a makeover, but it looks more like a Fairy than a lot of actual Fairy-Types! I feel that Chansey and Blissey should've got it as well (pure Fairy or Normal/Fairy like the Jigglypuff line), but I'm sure they had their reasons.

As far as Types that did exist as of Gen2...

• Croconaw/Feraligatr: Water/Dark
    • Noctowl: Psychic/Flying
    • Ampharos: Electric/Dragon
    • Sudowoodo: I feel that Rock/Fighting could've worked, but I'm fine with pure Rock
    • Misdreavus: Ghost/Psychic
    • Pineco: Bug/Grass (since its shell is made of tree bark)
    • Dunsparce: Bug/Ground
    • Gligar: Poison/Flying (though Ground/Flying is a lot cooler)
    • Granbull: Dark (Dark/Fairy for modern games)
    • Remoraid/Octillery: Water/Dark (somewhat fitting, being based on artillery)
    • Stantler: Normal/Psychic
    • Elekid and family: Electric/Fighting
    • Magby and family: Fire/Dragon (with a redesign of Magmortar to better reflect the Type)
    • Suicune: Water/Ice (I would say pure Ice, but that would throw-off the legend of Ho-Oh and the revived beasts)
    • Lugia: Water/Flying or Water/Dragon (they even made it a Water-Type in the TCG!)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Typhlosion - Fire/Ground
    Meganium - Grass/Poison
    Feraligatr - Water/Ice

Those typings alone would have made all three SO much better in the games. ESPECIALLY the Chikorita family.

Politoed - Water/Grass. Not sure why but always gave me that vibe. Woulda been so much more fun to use but probably wouldn't have made a difference tbh.

Venusaur has a grass poison typing already. It could work but Meganium doesn't seem like a poison.

The Type wasn't revealed until much later than Gen2, but I feel that Celebi should've got Grass/Fairy instead of staying Grass/Psychic. It's movepool would probably need a makeover, but it looks more like a Fairy than a lot of actual Fairy-Types! I feel that Chansey and Blissey should've got it as well (pure Fairy or Normal/Fairy like the Jigglypuff line), but I'm sure they had their reasons.

As far as Types that did exist as of Gen2...

• Croconaw/Feraligatr: Water/Dark
    • Noctowl: Psychic/Flying
    • Ampharos: Electric/Dragon
    • Sudowoodo: I feel that Rock/Fighting could've worked, but I'm fine with pure Rock
    • Misdreavus: Ghost/Psychic
    • Pineco: Bug/Grass (since its shell is made of tree bark)
    • Dunsparce: Bug/Ground
    • Gligar: Poison/Flying (though Ground/Flying is a lot cooler)
    • Granbull: Dark (Dark/Fairy for modern games)
    • Remoraid/Octillery: Water/Dark (somewhat fitting, being based on artillery)
    • Stantler: Normal/Psychic
    • Elekid and family: Electric/Fighting
    • Magby and family: Fire/Dragon (with a redesign of Magmortar to better reflect the Type)
    • Suicune: Water/Ice (I would say pure Ice, but that would throw-off the legend of Ho-Oh and the revived beasts)
    • Lugia: Water/Flying or Water/Dragon (they even made it a Water-Type in the TCG!)

Why bug for Dunsparce? I understand ground but not bug, Dunsparce resembles a snake more than a bug.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Why bug for Dunsparce? I understand ground but not bug, Dunsparce resembles a snake more than a bug.

Dunsparce's design is a pun on bachi hebi (bee-snake), another name for the cryptid Dunsparce is based on (tsuchinoko).

On the subject of going back and making changes, "Land Snake" is a mistranslation. Dunsparce should've been the "Hammer Snake" or "Mallet Snake" Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Back