• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS Rom Hack Change Levels of Legendary Pokemon

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Hello Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could please help me with how I can change the levels of legendary Pokemon in Platinum and HGSS on DS

I have managed to alter Wild Pokemon , Trainer battles, Items, moves etc using PPRE and some use of the tool on HackRomTools
But I cannot for the life of me find a guide or way of changing the levels for Legendary Pokemon such as Giratina in the Distortion World , Regigigas in Snowpoint Temple, Arceus in Hall of Origin etc

I'm trying to increase the levels to make them more of a challenge to go with my first ROM back , but it is the only thing I cannot seem to find a tool or guide for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
M

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
PPRE can do that using its script editor (which is part of the map editor), though it can be somewhat buggy and there aren't many (if any) tutorials around for it. The basic idea is to navigate to the map which contains the legendary Pokemon event you want to edit, then change the number in the script that corresponds to their level and save your changes.

For example, opening script 5 for the map named "Distortion World R1-10" will bring up this script:

Code:
Fanfare 1500 
Lockall 
Cryfr 487 0 
Message 2 
WaitCry 
CloseMsgOnKeyPress 
Setflag 142 
LegendBattle3 487 47 
Clearflag 142 
CheckTrainerLost 0x800c 
StoreGiratinaStatus? 0x800c 
If 0x800c 2 
CheckLR 1 func_3 
If 0x800c 3 
CheckLR 1 func_3 
If 0x800c 5 
CheckLR 1 func_4 
If 0x800c 6 
CheckLR 1 func_4 
If 0x800c 4 
CheckLR 1 func_5 
AddPeopleDistortion 130 
AddPeopleDistortion 129 
Applymovement 129 mov_1 
Waitmovement 
Message 3 
CloseMsgOnKeyPress 
Message 4 
Jump func_6
The part you want to edit is "LegendBattle3 487 47." 487 is Giratina's species number, and 47 is its level, so you can change 47 to whatever you want and that will change Giratina's level in game.

When you're trying to find these scripts (or any script for that matter), the easiest way is to look through the text section instead of the actual scripts. Once you find the text for the event on a map, you know you're in the right place and can just look through that map's scripts to see which one calls the text line you just found. As an example, Message 2 in the above script is "text_2="Giygogagohgwooh!\r"", which is what you see right after talking to Giratina, so you know this is the right script.

Hope that helps!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Thank you so much!

I was literally racking my brain on this for a few nights, can't believe I missed that when I was looking through the scripts

This will help me a lot going forward when I have a bit more time to play around with adding in more Legendary Sprites and Events

Many thanks for the fast responce and detailed help :smile:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Hi Buffel!

Me again sorry

Is there also a way to do this on Gen 5 for BW and B2W2?

PPRE doesn't seem to work on these, I can open it in PPRE 2.0 but there is no script editor in that

I have tried using SDSME, but after matching up the Map Headers etc, (Iv used the Giant Chasm in White first) and locating the Script (601 in this case), the Script consists of 'Levels Script File'
So I am a bit stumped to altering this for the Legendary Levels - again I may be missing something stupidly obvious!

Thanks in advance
M

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey! Gen 5 is a little trickier, as far as I know the only script editor for it is CheapScript. I've never used it, but it looks pretty good, even if it is unfinished, so it may be worth a shot. The only other method I know of is to edit the scripts directly with a hex editor, which I could probably walk you through if you'd like to try it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Hi Buffel

Iv spent a couple of days on CheapScript but I cant seem to get it to do level edits, only text and repositioning so far.

If you are able to give me a walk through on Hex editting the levels for Reshiram / Kyurem / Zekrom that would be very much appreciated! :)

I have found a link to the BW Hex Codes on Pokemon Thundaga ready

Hopefully then I can probably work it out for the other legendary's after then alll being well.

When I get more free time I am going to try an ambitious attempt at seeing if I can input the encounter for the opposite Dragon in BW and B2W2, so it can do the same cutscene for the other dragon after you beat the main story - that does seem quite far away however!

EDIT ----------------------------

Finally cracked it and managed to edit the Legendary Pokemon levels using a mix of SDSME and NPRE in BW and B2W2 :)

For anyone who wants to know, I used the Map Headers from SDSME to locate the correct Scripts in NPRE (Narc file is a, 0, 5, 6 in BW and a, 0, 5, 7 in B2W2)
Then I just used a hexadecimal calculator to work out the values, copied and pasted the Script from NPRE into Notepad ++ , used CTRL + F for finding the correct value, altered it and pasted it back into NPRE and saved the ROM.

As I thought, it was actually something incredibly obvious that I missed !

Now to move onto the more Advanced stage of putting my own Legendary Pokemon into the game to appear after certain conditions... wish me luck, I may be back soon for help!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Hi Buffel

Just wondering if you have done much regarding Flags for Added NPC's in B2W2?

Basically I am trying to make an NPC pop up in a certain location (The room before Kyurems in the Giant Chasm), only after battling Kyurem in the post-game.
However the NPC is always spawning there even when I have SetFlag on that location and put a ClearFlag of the same number at the end of the Kyurem battle

I have seen the B2W2 tutorials on Youtube, but none covered Flags in much detail

Thanks
M

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hi Buffel

Just wondering if you have done much regarding Flags for Added NPC's in B2W2?

Basically I am trying to make an NPC pop up in a certain location (The room before Kyurems in the Giant Chasm), only after battling Kyurem in the post-game.
However the NPC is always spawning there even when I have SetFlag on that location and put a ClearFlag of the same number at the end of the Kyurem battle

I have seen the B2W2 tutorials on Youtube, but none covered Flags in much detail

Thanks
M
I haven't actually tried anything like that in gen 5, but I assume it'd be the same system as gen 3 and 4. Have you assigned that flag to the NPC's event data? Normally that's all you'd need to do for it to work.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2020
Sorted it! I wasn't putting the SetFlag command early enough in the sequence....Rookie error 😅

Back