• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animated Water Tiles

MarvinLock

Starting with Pkmn Essentials!
Years
  • I read that it is possible to add animated water tiles to your game. Someone had posted this tile:

Animated Water Tiles

How is this possible?

Thanks!

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I read that it is possible to add animated water tiles to your game. Someone had posted this tile:

Animated Water Tiles

How is this possible?

Thanks!

Well basically, each one of those oceans are one animation frame. This is the reason why it's a long file, there's 11 frames to it. They pretty much all have to be squares, as when you put them in the game, the game will grab pieces of the square to make up whatever formation you put down. Usually RPG Maker only supports four frames, but Essentials supports longer than four.

tl;dr they're frames put into the same file properly and the game animates them from there.

MarvinLock

Years
  • Well basically, each one of those oceans are one animation frame. This is the reason why it's a long file, there's 11 frames to it. They pretty much all have to be squares, as when you put them in the game, the game will grab pieces of the square to make up whatever formation you put down. Usually RPG Maker only supports four frames, but Essentials supports longer than four.

tl;dr they're frames put into the same file properly and the game animates them from there.

I know that each picture represents a frame but I still don't understand how to animate them in a game. What do you mean by "put into the same file properly and the game animates them from there"?

Thanks!

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    All you really need to do is import those tiles as one .png via paint, having the images in the order you wish to animate them, horizontally.

The import it to the 'autotile' folder in RMXP, then add to desired tileset.

MarvinLock

Years
  • All you really need to do is import those tiles as one .png via paint, having the images in the order you wish to animate them, horizontally.

The import it to the 'autotile' folder in RMXP, then add to desired tileset.

I added the first frame to my tileset.

Animated Water Tiles

I also added the png with the frames to autotile folder.

Animated Water Tiles

What do I do now?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    Everyone is overcomplicating it. Take the picture you posted in your original post for the question and put it in the folder called "Autotiles" then in the database tileset editor choose the file as an autotile. In your tilesheet it will show up as a single square but when you place tiles next to each other they will get the correct shape and animate in the game.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    Animated Water Tiles

Stick it in here.

Animated Water Tiles

Find and add it in here.

Animated Water Tiles

It should be here now.

Now go swimming.

Last edited: