• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Advance Map/Text issue with text - Fire/Leaf GBA

Hinxray

n00b
Years
  • Thanks in advance for any help. I've been off and on attempting to make a pokemon Fire Red or Leaf Green hack. Using tools like Advance Map and Advance Text. I've gotten pretty far into multiple attempts, but again and again the project fails, I'm crushed and I quit for 3-6 months. I'm great with editing maps, pokemon and most things, but the issue I keep having is text.

Eventually all of the text in the game becomes jumbled. I edit a trainer mid game and it overlaps with Oak's text in the beginning. I edit a gym leader and it overlaps a random trainer somewhere. Before I know it I'll test the hack and nearly all the character's texts are ruined. How do I fix this issue? I've tired only using Advance Map/code for text, Only Advance Text and even using both. All attempts wind up the same. I attempted another hack about 2 days ago and I didn't even make it out of Pallet town before multiple texts were jumbled.

I made an account here, because It's obvious I'm going to keep having this issue without any help from some experts.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Yee. Don't use AdvanceText. It's not a good tool.

If you're only changing what is said (as opposed to what happens as well) then knowing how pointers and free space wotk should be about all you need to know.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Do you mean for the intro?
    As in, the one where you input your player name etc.)

Since again you just need to know where the game stores and accesses the code for it and redirect to where you store your new text.

Either that or use a tool called Advanced Intro Editor

MM980

"You said you have a dream...That dream...Make it
    Years
  • Do you mean for the intro?
    As in, the one where you input your player name etc.)

Since again you just need to know where the game stores and accesses the code for it and redirect to where you store your new text.

Either that or use a tool called Advanced Intro Editor

not the intro, all of his events (receiving pokemon, pokedex, not allowing player to go out)

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2022
    Like everyone said, don't use Advance text. My tiny suggestion is, Use Pokémon Text editor instead(if you are editing and repointing pre-made text). It's like Advance text but at least it won't try to cause bugs like Advance text did in repointing(yes, I know this because I used advance text and moved on to Pokémon text editor).

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Hmm how come?

Can't you just click the event in AMap?
    The one at rhe exit of Palette Town to Route 1

Edit it from there

MM980

Years
  • You have to select a Script Editor in A-Map. It's in File > Choose script editor, I think.

I have already done everything, but i cant edit oak's any event, that ugly old GRAMPS 😠. But I can edit all other events with XSE...

FireFig

Ignite
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    I am pretty sure you are clicking oak to view his script, but he doesn't use person event script. He uses script tiles which you can find at the top of map 3.0 (entrance to route 1) Click the script tile and the script will open :)

And always remember everyone are doing their best to help you in this thread :)

Years
  • I have already done everything, but i cant edit oak's any event, that ugly old GRAMPS 😠. But I can edit all other events with XSE...

Are you referring to "Gramps, I'm tired of waiting"? That's a level script. It can be found in the "Header" Tab in A-Map.

MM980

Years
  • Are you referring to "Gramps, I'm tired of waiting"? That's a level script. It can be found in the "Header" Tab in A-Map.

and what i meant by gramps does not refer to BLUE, i just called OAK gramps.

MM980

Years
  • I am pretty sure you are clicking oak to view his script, but he doesn't use person event script. He uses script tiles which you can find at the top of map 3.0 (entrance to route 1) Click the script tile and the script will open :)

And always remember everyone are doing their best to help you in this thread :)

Yeah, this is the best community with people with good mind :)

Back