• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone here still playing Pokken Tournament?

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
  • Is anyone here still playing Pokken Tournament? I have finally managed to get around to it myself. I'm playing the Switch version.

I'm HORRIBLE at fighting games though and I've just started this so I suck. If you want an easy win then add and face me. lol.

Unless there's someone here who's experienced at this game and help train me to not suck at this? No? Okay... ;-;

I'll post my Switch Friend Code but only if someone else responds.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2018
    I'm pretty good. I've beaten the game and I'm in s rank. Mewtwos pretty overpowered but shadow mewtwos sucks.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I'm pretty good. I've beaten the game and I'm in s rank. Mewtwos pretty overpowered but shadow mewtwos sucks.

Good for you.

I can't even seem to do the combos correctly in the combo dojo because I can't consistently do the button combinations right.

I also almost lost again as Pikachu. But I'm pretty sure I suck as Pikachu. The CPU difficulty was on Easy.

I seriously don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's probably because I'm just HORRENDOUSLY BAD at fighting games.

:cry:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    When you say that you "can't consistently do the button combinations right", is the issue that you have trouble memorizing the button combinations you're supposed to do, or is it that your fingers don't respond well enough?

Also, play around with all the characters and see what one(s) click for you. Most people are naturally inclined towards a certain playstyle, and most characters in any fighting game are built to play as a certain playstyle, so you need to see which one fits you best.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • When you say that you "can't consistently do the button combinations right", is the issue that you have trouble memorizing the button combinations you're supposed to do, or is it that your fingers don't respond well enough?

Also, play around with all the characters and see what one(s) click for you. Most people are naturally inclined towards a certain playstyle, and most characters in any fighting game are built to play as a certain playstyle, so you need to see which one fits you best.

I'll do the button combination and nothing will happen. So my guess would be the latter.

I'll press forward plus Y in Duel Phase and nothing will happen. All that happens is the Pokemon goes forward and nothing else.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • no i don't play it anymore. i played it on my wiiu when it first came out. never bought it for my switch sadly.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I played as Blaziken, Empoleon, and Mewtwo last night and seemingly did better as them then as Pikachu and Braixen. But I didn't have enough time to try facing Easy difficulty CPUs.

It's seeming more and more like I just suck as Pikachu and Braixen. So I may not use them/play as them anymore.

I'll try out those 3 some more and try to face some Easy difficulty CPU opponents the next time I play the game.

TimmyTom

TimmyTom
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    I really loved and still like playing pokken but I got really pissed that they went and released the two dlc packs that they did despite the switch version being the "dx" and supposedly most complete version. I do enjoy occasionally getting a battle in or two from time to time but I've never played online yet. I think I'm really good with lucario and decent with most other pokemon.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I've never been a 'metagame' person either so I tend to avoid online in fighting games as well. Especially with how bad I am at them.

I may try online with this but I probably won't touch it for very long as I'll likely end up with a winless record.

:cry:

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I'm legitimately unsure of how much longer I'm going to play this. I'm not improving and I keep getting my ass kicked.

It's infuriating me and practicing doesn't seem to be doing me any good or improving me. It's beginning to seem like an effort in futility. Unless I can find someone to train me to get better at this game there's a distinct possibility I'll quit this game.

Years
  • I love the game, but I'm so not good at it :) . I get beaten every time I try to play online. I also have problems at combos; there are a lot of them. Anyway, I keep mashing buttons and sometimes something good happens.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I love the game, but I'm so not good at it :) . I get beaten every time I try to play online. I also have problems at combos; there are a lot of them. Anyway, I keep mashing buttons and sometimes something good happens.

Yeah but I can only take losing for so long before I have to resist the urge to throw the damn game out a god damn window.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I tried the demo of this game and I did not enjoy it at all.

Pokemon doesn't work as a fighting game, a la Street Fighter.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I tried the demo of this game and I did not enjoy it at all.

Pokemon doesn't work as a fighting game, a la Street Fighter.

I'm beginning to somewhat agree with this. It would have been more enjoyable as a 'Smash Bros.' type fighting game then what they made.

Particularly because the Pokken Tournament Discord is expecting me to remember way to much and also pretty much expecting me to do research. If I wanted to do research in something, I'd still be in college.

This is not what I wanted to do with this game. At all.

DjKniteX

A trainer that is a musician
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2023
    Are you still playing? I haven't gotten the new DLC but I play it very casually.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I just started actually!! I think I'm still getting used to it cause I get my ass kicked in online mode a lot but in single player and the league I'm killing it! Still figuring out the moves and been training in between matches so hoping eventually I can kiss some ass!

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Are you still playing? I haven't gotten the new DLC but I play it very casually.

Yes I am. I refuse to let this BS beat me. For now.

I just started actually!! I think I'm still getting used to it cause I get my ass kicked in online mode a lot but in single player and the league I'm killing it! Still figuring out the moves and been training in between matches so hoping eventually I can kiss some ass!

Pretty much my situation. Losing constantly online is beginning to ruin it for me.

Back