• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
So im having a little trouble with making an above water bridge that will let you encounter pokemon underneath (with a water background. got it to work once but with a grass bg :/ ) but not encounter pokemon up top. i know it worked in emerald with the cycling road, and that was set to just 70 00. i tried that on FR, but no luck. I tried several different combinations that i could think of, but nothing seemed to work

and no, the encounter rate was not all the way down. i checked it. you can find pokemon just fine in the normal grass and normal water blocks.

anyway, if someone could help me out, itd be appreciated, because having pokemon not appear under a bridge above water doesnt make sense, especially if the can be found the next tile over. What, are they trying to avoid getting eaten by a troll or something lol?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So im having a little trouble with making an above water bridge that will let you encounter pokemon underneath (with a water background. got it to work once but with a grass bg :/ ) but not encounter pokemon up top. i know it worked in emerald with the cycling road, and that was set to just 70 00. i tried that on FR, but no luck. I tried several different combinations that i could think of, but nothing seemed to work

and no, the encounter rate was not all the way down. i checked it. you can find pokemon just fine in the normal grass and normal water blocks.

anyway, if someone could help me out, itd be appreciated, because having pokemon not appear under a bridge above water doesnt make sense, especially if the can be found the next tile over. What, are they trying to avoid getting eaten by a troll or something lol?

Your Emerald method didn't work because R/S/E's behaviour and background byte effect don't correlate with FR/LG's effects. Try setting the behaviour bytes to 11/15, 04 (depending on what type of water you're using) and the background bytes to 00, 22. This should allow you to find Pokemon underneath the bridge, but I'm unsure as to whether you'll also find them on top the bridge as well. You'll have to try that out for yourself :D

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
So i have a few questions here, so im hacking ruby just so you know. Now i know in Firered in APE there is the offsets in the bookmarks that allow you to change the background where oak is introducing that stuff but does any one know the ruby offsets?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Your Emerald method didn't work because R/S/E's behaviour and background byte effect don't correlate with FR/LG's effects. Try setting the behaviour bytes to 11/15, 04 (depending on what type of water you're using) and the background bytes to 00, 22. This should allow you to find Pokemon underneath the bridge, but I'm unsure as to whether you'll also find them on top the bridge as well. You'll have to try that out for yourself :D

Those bytes didnt work. the first behavior has to be set to 08 or 70 to work as a bridge, and they both seem to define the terrain as land, unlike RSE, where 70 was over water. by setting the behavior bytes to 70 04 and background to 00 02, the bridge works fine (except wild pokemon also appear on top :( ). maybe theres a way to fix this byte to work like it did im RSE through hex or asm or something. unfortunately, thats my poorest area of rom hacking, so id have no idea how to do it

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
When using the countpokemon command, can you have it check if the variable is greater than a number, rather than simply equal to it?

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
Feebas - The Magnet of Fishes

Does anyone know how the Feebas script works in Emerald? I've been looking through the Awesome Phrase scripts and that route's scripts, but find it I can't.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
Are there currently any tools or tutorials for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for the Game Boy Advance?

So far, the only tool I've been able to find from the past couple of years (and the only completed tool) has been Sebby's partner changer tool and the only tutorial I've been able to find was something that recommended Sebby's ultimate tool (unfinished, as far as I know) and WordPad (which can't handle files that size and replaces nonstandard characters anyway).

Additional key words (for those searching this later): PMD, GBA, Gameboy

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
When using the countpokemon command, can you have it check if the variable is greater than a number, rather than simply equal to it?

Yes, it is most certainly possible to this. The countpokemon command is essentially useless if you don't have the 'compare' and 'if' commands following it. While compare sets a number that you want to check in comparison to the number of Pokemon in your party, the if command sets a condition that determines how the script should continue.

If you want to see whether the number of Pokemon in your party is greater than 3, you could make this script:
Code:
countpokemon
compare 0x800D 0x3
if 0x2 goto @Continue

Rather than using 0x1 in the if command's condition to indicate that both numbers should be equal, 0x2 will see if the size of your party is greater than 3 members. Here is a table that you can use that shows the conditions that you can set and their respective HEX values:

diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial said:
Lower Than (0x0)
Equals (0x1)
Greater Than (0x2)
Lower than or Equal to (0x3)
Greater than or Equal to (0x4)
Not exactly equal to (0x5)

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2011
Hello all.

I started work on a Let's Play of Pokemon Crystal a little while ago (on VisualBoy Advance), and I was hoping to find an editor or whatever that would let me change the evolution requirements of pokemon that require trading (as I obvious can't evolve them otherwise). I'm not sure if editor is the correct term, but that should get the gist across. Do you have any suggests? As far as I can tell YAPE doesn't work on gen 2 games. Thanks!

I did a search for this, but being new to the forums I have no idea how well I did, but obviously my search was unsuccessful.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this even the right thread for this question? Is this question even forum appropriate (I'm assuming it is since a mod hasn't wiped it already)?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I want to use the SeaGallop boat (in the Sevii islands) animation in FR, but when I insert it into a script (special 0x17B), instead of warping the player to where I want, it warps them to Vermilion City automatically, even though I placed a warp command after to take the player to where I want. :/

Is there any easy way around this without having to hex edit? Thanks.

Years
I want to use the SeaGallop boat (in the Sevii islands) animation in FR, but when I insert it into a script (special 0x17B), instead of warping the player to where I want, it warps them to Vermilion City automatically, even though I placed a warp command after to take the player to where I want. :/

I'm pretty sure it's only through hex editing. I think somewhere in the Tutorials section there's an explanation.

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2011
Sawakita said:
Try reading this documentation. You can apply the modifications using a hex editor.

Awesome, thanks. I believe I can work with that, it looks very well spelled out. Now...where can I get a hex editor? (I'm completely new to hacking) I checked the tools resource, but it looks like the links are out of date.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Are you able to rom hack and edit Pokemon pearl platinum diamond soul silver heart gold fire red leaf green and add the new black an white Pokemon into the games? By editing and Rom hacking? Thanks :).

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Are you able to rom hack and edit Pokemon pearl platinum diamond soul silver heart gold fire red leaf green and add the new black an white Pokemon into the games? By editing and Rom hacking? Thanks :).

For 3rd Generation, (FR, LG, R, S, E) you can do that easily. Use YAPE to change the stats, UNLZ to change the sprites, etc. For later games, I'm not so sure. We've haven't even reached the point where it's easy to make a 4th or 5th Generation hack - though some people are still doing it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
Is there any tools or information on how to do rip the tile sets from gen 3 games? Advance Map does not rip them the way I need them to be. I need the top/bottom layers to not be merged.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Is there any tools or information on how to do rip the tile sets from gen 3 games? Advance Map does not rip them the way I need them to be. I need the top/bottom layers to not be merged.

Uh, just go to A-Map's block editor and click Save Tileset 1 (for the top part) or Save Tileset 2 (for the bottom part). In addition, it'll save the tileset in whatever palette you're currently viewing in the block editor.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
For 3rd Generation, (FR, LG, R, S, E) you can do that easily. Use YAPE to change the stats, UNLZ to change the sprites, etc. For later games, I'm not so sure. We've haven't even reached the point where it's easy to make a 4th or 5th Generation hack - though some people are still doing it.

Hm so for 3rd gen you can only change the stats and sprites of the gen 3 Pokemon to make then "become" the gen 5? But not have gens 4+5 with gens 1-3 already in it? Basically can I have all 649 with editing and hacking in a gen 3 game? Lol.

And when it comes to gen4 games, now I've seen a white version edited with having all 649 in it. Couldn't you use the same editor and make all 649 for a gen 4? Or would it involve some heavy scripting? This may be way out of left field but could you use Pokemon essentials for adding or editing or the pmb files into a gen 4 game?

Sorry I know that doesn't make Sense lol
But I don't know how to do it and was just hoping you could :). Basically im replaying all the games from gen 5 to prob gen 3 and I was wanting to take my serperior with me but maybe at a lower level. (make Sense) it would be like ashs Pikachu.

Edit:I guess I understand how the editor of Pokemon white could add in the remaining 4** other Pokemon since your able to have them in there. But I just want to edit/hack and bring some newer ones into the older gens :.(

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years

There actually is a way to do this easily. Before the special, you have to use set variable 0x8006 to:

0x0 for Vermillion
0x1 for One Island
0x2 for Two Island
0x3 for Three Island
0x4 for Four Island
0x5 for Five Island
0x6 for Seven Island
0x7 for Six Island

The special only warps to those eight ports. The only way to make it go anywhere else is to either make a warp from one of those places to the town/route in question, or simply not use the special.

Note: I'm pretty sure its variable 0x8006, but if that isn't right, it's definitely either 0x8004 or 0x8005.

Now for my question. How do I make the strength boulders go through a hole and pop out in the next level (such as in the Seafoam Islands) or activate a script (such as in the Tanoby Key)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back