• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ESPN reassigns commentator because of name

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
_97492031_sidebyside.jpg

Sources: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41022954
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/article168813917.html

ESPN has removed a sports commentator from covering an American football game in Charlottesville because he has the same name as Civil War General Robert E Lee.
Robert Lee was scheduled to cover a University of Virginia game in the city for the broadcaster on 2 September.
ESPN said it had moved Mr Lee "simply because of the coincidence of his name".

PS; ma boi Phillip de Franco already did a nice barbeque roast on ESPN's decision over tje matter.

So the drama or the aftermath of Charlelottesville is not going anywhere given that decisions such as this happens just because the name "Robert Lee" is a controversial matter as of late.

As said in Philip de Franco's reporting of this ridiculous switch, ESPN was concerned that by having Robert Lee as a broadcaster, there was a possibility that he will be "subjected to memes and jokes".

Go.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
As said in Philip de Franco's reporting of this ridiculous switch, ESPN was concerned that by having Robert Lee as a broadcaster, there was a possibility that he will be "subjected to memes and jokes".

A quick perusal of his name on Twitter shows that this is happening anyway, so... instead of attention maybe being brought to it on the day of the game, it's getting massive attention now.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Wow I feel bad for the guy... to pretty much lose your job because of a name...

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2018
Wow I feel bad for the guy... to pretty much lose your job because of a name...

He didn't, he was swapped out to commentate on a different game in a different place on the same day.

Given that the guy in question seems to have agreed that it's for the best, if not outright brought it up to start with.

This is kind of overblown for what amounts to nothing

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I think we can now say the world has officially gone mad. -_-

I don't wanna even know how crazy people are going to be when the next full moon hits.

Back