• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unofficial Crystal

Years
  • PLEASE REPORT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING TO [email protected]
    ***: Please report any bugs and feedback to my email or you can leave a comment here in this post but you'll get it to me faster if you email me. My email is only temporary until I can get a Discord Server setup then you may report bugs and feedback through the server.

RELEASE UPDATE:
    A first release is near, up to Violet City to see what people think and if I should keep going or not. As such this post will be updated with the download link to the patch.

This hack was made in memory of my three best friends...

Brock Toothman

Brian Wilson

John Jump

Features

• Different take on events of Johto & Kanto with a side story in memory of my friends
    • ALL Pokémon from Gen 1 - 8 are capturable thanks to Dynamic Pokémon Expansion with new areas to explore
    • Revamped battle engine thanks to the Complete FireRed Upgrade
    • Real Time Clock with a clock in the start menu thanks to a ASM Routine written by Pokemon_XY
    • Day and Night system based on time
    • Time of day wild encounters
    • Swarms
    • Raid Battles in different Raid Dens spread across Johto, and Kanto
    • Gen VI EXP Share from the start of the game
    • An EV/IV Display Screen in every Pokemon Center(just look to the left of nurse joy) thanks to Acimut and Versekr Dark from the Whackahack forums
    • HGSS Music(the music patch used for this I had to do some modifying to remove the ipatix HQ mixer because it caused a weird audio bug with the CFRU. If you wanna hear all the tracks in the music, wear headphones otherwise you can't hear the drum tracks at least I couldn't.)
    • Reusable TM's NOTE: TM's 72, 73, 76, and 77 are right now unobtainable due to the way the TM/HM Expansion works. All other TM's will be placed in shops, found as ground loot, or received from gyms.
    • HM moves can be deleted without the move deleter.
    • A training ground before you reach the elite four to train your Pokemon at your desired level. The levels go in 5's and go all the way to the max level. Before the elite four it'll only let you train up to a certain level then after beating the elite four you can either train to max level before exploring the rest of the game or not lol.

• THINGS DIFFERENT FROM G/S/C:
    • The Pokegear is not implemented and is not planned to be implemented unless someone can help me out with this(due to requiring ASM knowledge, I'm barely able to read ASM). Leaf sorta replaces the calling card, instead of calling people to get quest information, Leaf will be there to give you that information.
    • Due to not being able to trade with other games, the player will start out with all three starters. Chikorita, Totodile, and Cyndaquil.
    • Due to this being a FireRed hack, there will be no animating sprites for Pokemon.
    • Storywise this is different than G/S/C and some characters look the same but are new. Ex: Noland with a blue coat and different colored hat is Brock T. and that's only because his overworld sprite looks just like the real Brock T.
    • Leaf is your narrator, she guides you throughout your journey.
    • There is no naming of the rival in this hack as such the "Rival" is now Silver and when battled is referred to as "Perpetrator Silver" instead of "Rival Silver"
    • There is no Ruins of Alph puzzle due to my lack of knowledge on ASM.
    • There's obviously a lot more differences that you'll see but these are all I could think of right off. If I think of anymore I'll add them here.

PLANS FOR THIS HACK

***: This section will be updated soon, if people like the first release and want me to keep going then I will post my plans for this hack.
      ***: Obviously don't judge the game by the title screen and I will be doing another title screen as soon as I can get the right software to create the "Crystal Version" banner.
      ***:

NOTES
      ***: For right now there is no region map until I figure out how I want the map names ordered and which region maps I want them assigned to.
      Even though Guide Gent gives you the town map, it's kinda useless until I get a region map setup cause it won't show your accurate location.

KNOWN ISSUES
      As much as I've tested and had a couple other people test this hack, there are some issues. Nothing major right now mostly minor things like grammar errors or typos or somebody's text color was black instead of red/blue.

ORIGINAL POST

I'm expecting heavy criticism from this because its been done so many times...but with my main Emerald project put on hold for certain reasons, I started on this and it progressed. I debated whether or not to make it public because of how many times Johto has been remade and I'm not really bringing anything new to the table...but I was convinced by a friend of mine to make it public...

Pokémon Unofficial Crystal Version

Story

My take on events of the same ol story of Johto & Kanto. You are once again in the shoes of Gold or Kris as you travel through Johto & Kanto.
      Your character wants to start a Pokémon Adventure and tells their best friend Leaf to catch them a Pokémon. Leaf who has retired from the role of champion travels to New Bark Town to catch the player a Pokémon but before she can...Prof. Elm gets robbed and Leaf and the player get caught in the middle of the event. Then the story unfolds....
      Familiar characters you know and new characters appear in this story.

Screenshots

Pokémon Unofficial Crystal

Credits

• Acimut and Versekr Dark from the Whackahack forums - EV/IV Screen
      Skeli & Ghoulslash - CFRU and DPE
      Dark Gyrados & Gold - Mini Text Box
      LukeeGD, GoGoJJTech, ipatix, Wobbu - HGSS Music
      Alisa180 - All Instruments Patch
      Againsts - B/W Summary Screen
      JPAN - Hacked FireRed Engine & Extended Overworld Tables
      GameFreak - For creating Pokemon in the first place
      Pokemon_XY - ASM Routine that shows time in start menu
      dearman4 - For allowing me to use his Altering Cave EV Training Ground feature from his hack Pokemon Emerald Final, you should check it out!
      Alex Sanchez - For some sprite graphical assets used from his hack Pokemon Shiny Gold Sigma
      THERE ARE ASSETS USED IN THIS HACK THAT ARE NOT MINE AND I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THEM! IF ANYTHING IS USED OF YOURS PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL CREDIT YOU!
      AND MANY MANY MORE! THIS LIST IS NOT COMPLETE! YOU HAVE MY WORD I WILL UPDATE THIS LIST! 😇 (I still have to go back and find names for people)

Bugs

• This list will be updated when release time comes.

Download

COMING SOONER THAN YOU THINK! 😅

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I absolutely love this, and have no qualms with another reiteration of Pokemon GSC. I'm actually digging the screenshots (I feel the title screen can be redone to look more appealing), plus I'm curious as to how you'll go about incorporating the gen 5 and above Pokemon in your style. Eagerly looking forward to a release!

Years
  • I absolutely love this, and have no qualms with another reiteration of Pokemon GSC. I'm actually digging the screenshots (I feel the title screen can be redone to look more appealing), plus I'm curious as to how you'll go about incorporating the gen 5 and above Pokemon in your style. Eagerly looking forward to a release!

Aside from the current areas in the game I'm working to add more areas overall to be able to add the expanded pokemon. I've managed my free space pretty good so far 😅 plus there's a battle/training ground before you proceed to the Pokemon League where you can battle a set of random wild pokemon around your level. This set of pokemon will contain unique (ones that can only be caught in the training ground) along with random other ones that can be found in other areas. I've also tried my best to include base pokemon forms instead of their evolutions, that's helped alot. It doesn't really work for the end game cause then it doesn't make sense to battle a base form at level 60 and then if you did catch the Pokemon, it seemed unfair to only level up one time and then evolve. But it's definitely helped for most of the game

Dark

SW-8589-1512-3501
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This looks fantastic, will this awesome hack have mega evolution?

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • This is good.
    As the main Crystal project (LiquidC) is sadly dead, is good to see other Johto-based hacks (GS Chro/Fire Gold) on the shelf.
    Definitely one to download as soon as available.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    This is good.
    good to see other Johto-based hacks (GS Chro/Fire Gold) on the shelf.
    Definitely one to download as soon as available.
    Wait, do other "vanilla" johto (G/S/C) remakes based on FR exist? Besides Shiny Gold, I only know about Crystal Dust, and it's far from complete...

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • Wait, do other "vanilla" johto (G/S/C) remakes based on FR exist? Besides Shiny Gold, I only know about Crystal Dust, and it's far from complete...

Of the three i mentioned (Fire Gold, GS Chronicles and Liquid Crystal) Liquid was the most vainilla-ish of the three. The other have their own twists in the story.

I also forgot to mention Crystal Advance and Golden Sun (this one in Japanese and the most faithful to Gold)

Last edited:
    Years
  • UPDATE:

I got distracted when some things came up in real life and I haven't been able to work as much on anything.
    The demo is almost complete and the discord server is almost ready as well. I apologize for the delay.

NotDWaddler

You're goin' straight to Gensokyo, Jimbo.
    Years
  • Hella stretched, but I like the concept. Can I suggest sneaking a DexNav function in at some point if you're planning on making all of the Mons available? It'd make searching for ones either unowned or unseen a lot less of a hassle to go through.

Back