• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Cloned Pokémon Ban

Years
  • I feel like cloned Pokémon are considered hacked because the only means of getting them is having to go online and do it, you couldn't clone Pokémon in gen 1, so you shouldn't be able to now. It isn't included in the game so...

Years
  • Ignoring everything except for the statement
    you couldn't clone Pokémon in gen 1, so you shouldn't be able to now

I'll just leave this bit from Bulbapedia's Cloning Glitches page for education purposes only:
    Spoiler:

Amy May

Banned
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    I know I have no business posting here so please forgive me before doing any bashing!!!

I understand what you're saying... but in the case of a thread or shop, the person doing it would more than likely state flat out what is being offered is cloned, so the info is already out in the open... you want nothing to do with clones, so you simply go to a different thread.

Believe me, I understand what you're getting at, I feel cloning in general is becoming a bit out of hand too, to such a point now.. if you didn't obtain it yourself, you have no clue if it was actually cloned.

But in the case of R/S/E, you can legitally clone Pokemon in the game itself via battle resort glitch cloning... never touching a cheating device.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I feel like cloned Pokémon are considered hacked because the only means of getting them is having to go online and do it, you couldn't clone Pokémon in gen 1, so you shouldn't be able to now. It isn't included in the game so...

Welp, I was GOING to PM this to you, but I suppose this will suffice for now.

Cloned Pokemon are not considered hacked by the PokeCommunity. This is where the politically correct side of me would say we would review this rule in response to your request, but we actually just did that last week and decided to leave it unchanged. So instead, I'll try and explain it :).

When a legally obtained Pokemon is cloned, all data regarding said Pokemon remains in tact, from the name, to the OT, even the PID. Therefore, we figure, the clone is also legal, as it contains the exact same data.

As for why we allow trading them, there are a number of reasons. Chief among them, in my opinion, is diversifying what can be traded on our forums. When someone goes through the effort to obtain a rare Pokémon, they probably wouldn't want to trade it. If you had two of it, you may be more willing to do so. If two players each have a rare pokemon, each clones theirs, and trades the other person the copy, now both people have both rare Pokémon. In this way, they are both happy.

Additionally, cloning is a service every PokéCommunity user has equal access to. Or at least will when we actually get cloners, which to be fair we didn't have all summer. So it doesn't give anyone a specific advantage over anyone else.

In response to your points above:
    First of all, "It didn't work in gen 1" is an unproductive reasoning for anything. If that logic were used by Game Freak we wouldn't have Abilities, held items, the Dark-type, Absol, etc. We wouldn't have Absol. :(
    Additionally, there was actually a cloning glitch in gen 1 native to the game. You actually didn't even have to go online to clone then (partially because you couldn't, it was gen 1). In fact, there was a way to clone in-game at some point in every generation except 5 and 7. So to be true to the games history, we should allow cloning of everything but gen 7 Pokemon. However, that seems really dumb. Source

In your case, the Manaphy offered was both hacked AND cloned. We don't care about the clonededness (words are hard), but because of the OT of AusLove.TV, it is untradeable here, as it is a known hack. Because you had already been warned, you likely would have been infracted if not for some technical difficulties, me having class, and Firebolt needing to sleep. If this occurs again, you can expect a heavy infraction or ban of some sort.

Anyway, while I totally understand your viewpoint here, after discussion the moderators of the Trade Corner all have the viewpoints that suggest that clones are fine to trade, and thus they will continue to be allowed here. Thanks for your feedback though! If you have any further questions feel free to quote this message in a response here so that it notifies me or shoot a PM to either myself or one of the other Trade Corner mods.

~ Spirit Shackle

Last edited:
    Back