• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (Reloaded) (Version 6.8C Released)

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
Years
Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (Reloaded)

A hack of Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)

Current Version: 6.8C

What is Touhoumon?:
Much like Machomuu, I shall give you a bit of a description of what Touhoumon is. Touhoumon is a rom hack of pokemon that replaces them with touhou characters, hence the name. It's similar to Moemon in that regard, but unlike (most) versions of Moemon, Touhoumon actually changes the mons themselves, the moves, type interactions, and as of the '1.8' version of Touhoumon, the types themselves. The original hacks for Touhoumon eventually became templates, in both Japan and the West, to make their own hacks. Notable examples include Touhoumon Purple, Touhoumon Another World, Touhoumon Gensokyo Scenario (which hasn't been released as of the writing of this thread), and Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced.

Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced is the one that we'll concern ourselves with mostly here. The original version of this was created as a compilation patch in Japan, adding a bunch of touhoumon patches together to try to add in more to the game. The patches I remember are the "Johto" patch, and the "Sliding Evolutions" patch. Eventually, Aichiya Sanae, the author of Touhoumon Another World and World Link ported it over to an English version of Fire Red, and translated it. It's remembered fondly, and is probably overall the best of the three 'major' hacks he's credited to.

Why does THIS hack exist?:
Unfortunately, this compilation still had problems. The maps of Johto were rather lazy overall, the trainer balance was non-existant, there were some rather odd choices in pacing between the regions, and the slide evolution system broke the game into little pieces. I saw all of these, and in my boredom decided: "You know what? Let's fix this up a bit for myself."

And so I tried, at the very least. Whether I succeeded, I don't know, but I put a lot of my heart in it. Eventually it got to the point where, I put so much work into it, that I thought it'd be a shame to just keep it to myself. And that's why you're reading this today.

Features:
I won't be able to get them all in here. My memory is bad, and my foresight is bad enough to make sure that I didn't exactly take notes on most of them. But I'll try to get all of the ones I remember. A lot of these are native to "Enhanced", but this might be helpful for those who haven't played the original.

- Physical/Special split
- Three Regions: Kanto, Sevii, and Johto
- Edited Trainers and Gym Leaders
- Enemies with EVs
- Slightly expanded plot
- The ability to evolve your team beyond the 'Kanto Dex' limitations before beating the Elite 4.
- Various Battle Music changes.

There's probably more, but as I mentioned, I can't remember them all right now. It's mostly a rebalancing hack anyway.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
Spoiler:

Documentation:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Downloads (Updated 9/9/2023):
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
SO...is this the FIrered version of Touhoumon Purple? The less of aichiya sanae's influence, the better

Zeta Sukuna

Years
SO...is this the FIrered version of Touhoumon Purple? The less of aichiya sanae's influence, the better

I wouldn't really even say it's a 'Touhoumon Purple'. I wasn't really inspired by it, anyway. I just wanted to make TPPE more fun for myself, so I edited it. This is just the result of what I found to be more fun, really. (Also, despite everything, most of the fault for the content in this hack is due to the Japanese patches more than anything. Aichiya just compiled it.)

And it's basically as done as I think I'll be able to get it. Maybe some bug fixes in the future if I'm ever able to do so, but that's about it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017

The only influence of Aichiya's in TPPE was the translation, most unbalanced and bad things in it were because of original TPP and Japanese fan-patches.

World Link and Another World were broken pieces of shit, but actualy TPPE was an awesome piece of Aichiya's work.

DatLuxrayDoe

Team Moemon
Years
I wouldn't really even say it's a 'Touhoumon Purple'. I wasn't really inspired by it, anyway. I just wanted to make TPPE more fun for myself, so I edited it. This is just the result of what I found to be more fun, really. (Also, despite everything, most of the fault for the content in this hack is due to the Japanese patches more than anything. Aichiya just compiled it.)

And it's basically as done as I think I'll be able to get it. Maybe some bug fixes in the future if I'm ever able to do so, but that's about it.

Well Zeta Patchouli, you've done a fantastic job. Thanks so much for such a great adaptation and well, overall bug fix that is clearly noticeable in some of the other Touhoumon games.

If I may say, ever since Moemon and Touhoumon became at thing, I've actually spent more time playing Pokemon now and less time playing everything else... ehh, what can I say, the anime loser in me can't help it.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
The only influence of Aichiya's in TPPE was the translation, most unbalanced and bad things in it were because of original TPP and Japanese fan-patches.

World Link and Another World were broken pieces of ****, but actualy TPPE was an awesome piece of Aichiya's work.

he had many chances to go back and fix up some of the broken stuff he made, but didn't and have to let others pick up the pieces. so in my my eyes hes **** irregardless of what else he has done. hes not the only touhou fan in the world that knows both japanese and english, so even he didn't translate tppe someone else would have picked it up eventually. but this is all a long time ago so whatever.

Last edited:

Sir Nice

The Man of No Talent
Years
It appears NUPS won't let me patch it. It's saying "the patch is corrupt" and stopping it from patching, even if I click Ignore.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
It appears NUPS won't let me patch it. It's saying "the patch is corrupt" and stopping it from patching, even if I click Ignore.

How odd, I tried to patch it to a clean rom and it worked for me even without clicking Ignore. Possibly try another rom? Redownload? I don't know what else could be the problem.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016

Why not just download it pre-patched?

Or better yet, have someone patch it for you then them link it?

Cause I got this pre-patched from someone else and been playing it for quite some time now.

Sir Nice

The Man of No Talent
Years
Alright, used a different ROM and it patched successfully. Seems the game crashes in VBA-M, but not original VBA. Odd. But yeah, it's working now. Thanks.

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
I tried to patch on a clean rom using rom patcher android and played this My Boy android and it works fine.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
Very minor bugfix update:
Changed a "Daiyousei" encounter on Route 22 into the proper Chibi encounter.

Does this mean a new download... or wait until more bugs have been ironed out? Cause so far, I haven't had any serious issues, nor did I even notice that bug to begin with. Right now, I'm just trying to fill up the BonekaDex.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
I did replace the download in the link, but if you really don't wanna, it's not the worst thing in the world. It's super minor.

Years
I want to play this hack, but every time I try to run the patched ROM, I get a white screen.

Is the final filesize supposed to be 16MB? Or 32? Because the patch spits out a 16MB ROM, and if it's supposed to be the latter, then it's clearly overwriting stuff the game needs to run.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
I want to play this hack, but every time I try to run the patched ROM, I get a white screen.

Is the final filesize supposed to be 16MB? Or 32? Because the patch spits out a 16MB ROM, and if it's supposed to be the latter, then it's clearly overwriting stuff the game needs to run.

Patch it to (1636) FireRed (U) with a UPS Patcher like Tsukuyomi or something, then play the game with Automatic + Flash 128K.

If it still doesn't work, then I can patch it for you and give you a link to the patched file.

Years
Patch it to (1636) FireRed (U) with a UPS Patcher like Tsukuyomi or something, then play the game with Automatic + Flash 128K.

If it still doesn't work, then I can patch it for you and give you a link to the patched file.

Thing is, I used that exact ROM, and when I tried Tsukuyomi it spit out a file to the tune of 128KB.

You can try, but I'm fairly certain Zeta borked the new patch.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
Thing is, I used that exact ROM, and when I tried Tsukuyomi it spit out a file to the tune of 128KB.

You can try, but I'm fairly certain Zeta borked the new patch.

Yup, you're right. Zeta, the UPS file is crap, it doesn't work. It generates FILENAME.gba.UTM files.

Back