• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with loss?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • So I lost a close family member just this morning and to give me a sort of distraction I guess I thought I might as well as just waste some time on PokéCommunity until I get my head together.

But enough of that. How do you deal with loss, be it a family member, a friend, or even a pet? If you've never actually experienced any of this then tell us how you think you'd react instead.

Fire away. What a lovely topic I have made.

AusDon

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I sleep. A lot.

When I get depressed, I try to avoid doing anything. Especially at night, because that's when I'm most depressed. Not really good solution, but whatever. Other than that, I play a lot of games/books/movies, or things that don't require any existential thinking.

The best way to deal with loss of people, in my opinion, is to be around people you like--to make up for it. Go see some friends, try to get more hope in humanity, etc.

Oh, and I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hope you feel better. Here's some cake.

How do you deal with loss?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I've never lost any people that were close to me, and honestly I'm afraid to find out what that's like even though I know I'll have to eventually. I have, however, lost a pet fairly recently - a cat - my first since I moved here. At first it just felt strange for an animal I've lived with for about 2 1/2 years to just be gone. I felt some guilt, too. But then I focused on the fact that I still have my other cat, and I think in some way loss helps you better appreciate what you still have. I also used hiking to help me be at peace. Nature is always good for any kind of emotional or spiritual healing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I try to hold the thought about the loss in, and I pace around nervously for a few minutes. If that thought hasn't gone away, I talk to someone about it.

Seungri

Victory 승리
    Years
  • Having someone close to me dieing isn't really new to me. I usually just stay silent for a couple of days, and just think life goes on. Then later on, when it actually hits me, I tend to bottle up the emotions and then release them in a form of anger.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • There were a lot of deaths in my family these past few years. I usually get really upset and I'd cry for days.

But, I usually just remember all the happy times I had with those family members.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I've really come to the point where when someone close to me dies, I just can't really cry about it. I get even more depressed and stay silent for a while, without eating much and such.

Years
  • I'm not really used to coping with loss, so I have to sit and think about how I last handled it.

My grandfather died last year. When I got the news I was just kind of... blank, I guess. I didn't really cry, although I got close at the funeral. I felt bad because it seems like that's how most people cope, and I felt like a monster for not being 'normal'. For the first few days, during downtimes I just sat and thought about things, about how my grandmother must feel, about how I regret not talking to him as much, about not getting to know him. I didn't really talk to anyone about it minus my sister for a little bit.

I imagine the next time someone in my family dies, I'll most likely react in the same way.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • For me, it kinda depends on the loss.

I mean, when my great grandfather passed away, he was in his late nineties and his health had been failing for a while so while it was sad, it was also understandable, and I didn't feel very sad. Just happy that he had lived a good, full life.

My grandfather, on the other hand...it was really, really hard, not only because I was closer to him and he was younger, but because he was diagnosed with a tumor in his leg and died two months later. In all honesty, my family is still grieving. We all pretty much tried to be strong, especially my brother and I, since his funeral was the weekend before school started, so we didn't want to worry our friends.

So for me personally, I tend to bottle up what I am feeling so that I don't worry anyone, and then I will usually cry or something somewhere where no one will notice.

Probably not the healthiest response... :\

Back