• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bits and Bytes.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
well i have used a hex editor when following tutorials, but i meant how to find your way around a rom( more specifically, pokemon) using a hex editor.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
well i have used a hex editor when following tutorials, but i meant how to find your way around a rom( more specifically, pokemon) using a hex editor.

Hex editing alone does not allow you to understand the happenings of a ROM. You need to learn ASM for that. Hex Editing just allows you to use other peoples research to edit things without needing a tool.

Years
Hi Full metal, I was just reading quicly the part about BitWise Operators, and I thought that there's a few things you might should rewrite :)

You should be good to go, and doing BitWise operators, as well as converting between number bases, inside your head should be a breaze.
I don't want to discuss the level of difficulty, but maybe you shouldn't JUST assume every one has a head for converting between bases. Personally I find most number conversion easy... but honnestly with numbers bigger then 20, quite useless, and when I actually need it, I just type them into the calculator.
Just don't scare people off, by stuff like that, Ok?

BS-ing to the left: X << N =(exact) X * 2N
BS-ing to the right: X >> N =(rounded) X / 2N
When you say excat and rounded do you mean the result, or the X / 2^N? (X / 2N is excat, it's just,you don't store the decimal numbers. it's not really rounding, it's just loosing the bit with the most right placement. But both shifting to the right and left, can loose bits. You'd propperly notice more often when you lose you smallets bit, comparred to losing the biggest. (Since you'd use these operations on fixed sized variables.)
And example would be 5, Shifted to the right would be 2, even though 5 over 2 would be 2.5, which rounded would be 3.

AND-ing, involves two, corresponding bits of two units. IF both of the bits are set ( == 1 ), then the resulting bit is also set ( X = A AND B; X = result, A = Unit 1, B = Unit 2 ). Otherwise, the resulting bit is 0. Unfortunately, I don't know a way to represent this operation with algebra, I'm sorry. In programming ( save for ASM ), the AND operator is represented with the '&' character.
Maybe you should just write out the tabels, with 1's and 0's? I think it'd be an easier way to understand the system. But actually and reffers to multiplication as the word does it other mathematical uses. And, Or, and all that zhizz is just the normal arimethic operations, done with just two numbers (0,1). The subject is called boolean algebra, and the funny thing is, it was invented before it became usefull, in electronics and programing.
Same with or. Or means plus, and it's quite straight forwerd, except, when it comes to 1+1=1, but just remember there's nothing bigger then 1.
Anyway, setting up tables would really be the easiest.

Anyway, don't take this as any offence, I just trying to help you improve, and I think it's a great idea that you write tutorials like this.

I hope you read it, before some ....... ...... moderator will come and give me a warning for opening an old thread ;)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Haha, alright. Thanks for the feedback, and I'll improve on this when I get the chance. But as of now, I'm off to visit family and a genuine castle! :D [ seriously. I am. o.O ]

Back