• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Umbreon and Espeon!

Espeon or Umbreon?

• Total voters
Years
  • In the second generation of Pokemon games, a ton of brand new mechanics were introduced. Two of these new features included the Day & Night feature, and evolution by happiness.

Two brand new eeveelutions were introduced as well! The extremely popular Umbreon and Espeon. You can obtain Espeon by leveling up a happy Eevee during the day, and you can obtain Umbreon by leveling up a happy Eevee during the night.

So, which do you prefer? The sun Pokemon Espeon, or the moonlight Pokemon Umbreon?

I love both, but Umbreon would be my favorite. It is actually my favorite Pokemon out of all of them today! I love the design, and have fond memories of raising one in my original Silver version long ago :3

PsyMaster

Your mind is mine to control.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 21, 2016
    Out of the two I prefer Espeon. One for it's really majestic design that I find fascinating and mysterious. Two because it's the psychic type.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I always preferred Umbreon's design, but in terms of moveset I prefer Espeon. I've been training for either for a long time now in Silver but it feels like I'm getting nowhere. OP, how long did it take you to evolve Eevee?

Years
  • I always prefer pokemon with darker colors, and since I already had a lugia (Psychic), I evolved my eevee to Umbreon. The fact that it evolved at night made it more of a cool mystery to me.

I love it, great simple design (specially the shiny), and it's a great tank with good defence and special defence.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It was very clever and appropriate to utilize the day/night system and friendship "stat" by giving Eevee new evolutions to align with it. While I do like Umbreon (there isn't an Eevee evolution I dislike), Espeon is my favorite Eevee evolution out of all of them.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Umbreon for sure. I raised an Umbreon in Crystal and I loved it. I like Umbreon's design much more than Espeon. Don't get me wrong, Espeon's cool and all, but I can use Espeon in competitive in ORAS and I can't do that with Umbreon.

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • I prefer Espeon - I prefer the Psychic typing, and I just find it cuter. Espeon's design is really nice i want seven to cuddle and it's not half bad in battle, either. Umbreon is cool and all, and it, too, is viable, but at the end of the day, Espeon is actually just one of my all-time favorites and is going to rank pretty high in my book.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2017
    Of course umbreon don't you worry thrust me umbreon more powerful than espeon

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
  • I prefer Espeon. Design looks sleeker and overall just a much more pretty pokemon. Umbreon's tail and ears kinda wigged me out, since they reminded me of cocoons.

Sirfetch’d

Both are super cool, but I think I like Espeon a bit more. It was definitely more fun to use due to how strong of an attack Psychic was on it.

Neither of these mons had a great movepool though...

pkmin3033

I wanted an Umbreon something awful, and I was quite upset when I found it to be pretty useless when I finally did get it...but then, there weren't any good offensive dark-type moves back in Gen II, so it was to be expected.

I don't mind Espeon, but that shiny colouring, my god...

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • Espeon's my choice. Watching Eevee evolve into this when I was younger was such a great surprise and it's been my favorite ever since. I even like it's Shiny..

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I think they both have really great designs. tbh I haven't used either of them that much in battle (nor did I catch either of them in GSC), but Umbreon has always fascinated me more with its design and the fact that it's one of the few Dark-types. It also has a great shiny version. So out of the two, Umbreon would be my favourite.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I adore these two; though I think I ended up using Espeon a lot more frequently, because casually Espeon would hit a lot harder than Umbreon. Not to say Umbreon isn't a great pokemon too; I think I used one to give Sabrina run for her money, ohoho.

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • Eevee evolutions are fantastic and I love them both (like everyone else on here it seems) but I prefer Umbreon because of its cool design and I love dark types. Especially after finding that Psychic types were so op in gen 1. It's been hard for me to let go of some of those biases from the original games (still have a hard time convincing myself that poison types are good, but after several poison monotype runs I'm finding I like them more and more too)

Back