• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fix Your Country in Five Steps.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Gimmiepie's post regarding thread topic. First paragraph.

And let's see what you say later,

okay, this illustrates the problem and since GImmiepie's thing also asks for how you'd solve it, then please elaborate on a solution.

So.....you essentially don't give a solution, you know the other thing that's a requirement in this thread.

I'm genuinely surprised how many peeps in this missed the second part of his entire post. We can dabble on what problems there are, but I think Gimmie brings up a good idea on coming up with actual solutions to issues instead of just saying, "This and this is a problem, let someone else come up with the ideas to fix it."

So basically to say what he said, "Tell us the problem and a solution you think would help solve said problem."

Thanks for the advice/reminder. I'll repost in the correct format.

Australia

Step 1:
    - Stop importing immigrants into our universities. Our government pays for people to attend our universities from overseas. This means that locals find it harder to get in to university.

Step 2:
    - Lower the minimum wage. The AUD is getting lower by the month. Everything from taxes to goods are increasing due to the minimum wages constant increase.
    It's gotten to the point where we are removing our 5 cent piece due to it being worth next to nothing.

Step 3:
    - Australia needs to help the Aboriginal community. They don't need to rename cities such as Hobart to Aboriginal names. They need to help the Aboriginal community's problem with crime, alcoholism and their large, large depression/suicide rate. We should give them more psychological care early on in their life.

Step 4:
    - Stop the ABC's obvious political bias. Considering that they own every major Australian children's television channel, it means that they can force political ideas on our youth as soon as they are old enough to watch TV.

Step 5:
    - Stop our increasing rate of young people with depression. According to 'Beyond Blue', one in 35 people ages 4-17 are suffering some form of depression.
    We need to give better psychological help to our youth. We should be providing this care through school as that would be a safer environment if the student is in a troubled home.

Is this structured better?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Everyone is entitled to an education? If "Locals" aren't getting in, maybe it's because they don't qualify? Don't blame immigrants for it.
    I don't even understand why everyone hates people immigrating anyway. They're literally just people from a different country, moving to another country, which is not bad at all? Stop treating immigrants like they're somehow less then others.

Years
  • Hmmmmm, okay, this is gonna be a tough one. I can't guarantee that these will be cleanly split up into Problem -> Solution format; it's more just five things I would change or overhaul to fix what I perceive to be the problems plaguing my home country, which is the US.

1. Get rid of Citizens United. This is sort of part-method, part-problem, I guess. Citizens United is what's responsible for allowing political campaigns to be privately-funded. It shouldn't take a political science degree to see how much this benefits the already-wealthy and powerful over everyone else to a disgusting degree. I'm sure most people can agree that we ought to have people who are actually qualified and well-intentioned working these government positions, and Citizens United actively works against that by allowing the rich to drown out the voices of anybody less wealthy than themselves, however much more moral and qualified said drowned-out individuals may be.

2. Mandate community service as both a prerequisite for and a component of any government position. Anyone seeking any sort of government office should be required to have a certain minimum number of total community service hours under their belt, as well as a certain minimum amount of community service hours working specifically with their prospective constituents. As well, one to two days of their work week as holder of that government office should be mandatory community service, working directly, in-person, with their constituents in a situation unaffiliated with any religious group. This would keep politicians both socially and physically accountable to their constituents and keep them from isolating themselves off and coming up with reasons not to actually listen to what people are saying. As well, I should certainly hope that it would help skew those who seek and attain such jobs more towards compassion, honesty, and community-mindedness.

3. Adjust wage laws significantly. Not only should the minimum wage be raised and indexed in some way to the cost of living for each area so it can never fall behind the times, but the lowest salary in a business's payroll should not be permitted to be below a certain percentage of whatever the maximum salary that business gives is. No more CEOs raking in billions while the people actually doing all the hard work to keep the business up and running get paid a pittance they can barely even live off of. Businesses do not have insufficient profits to pay all their workers a good amount. The CEOs and other higher-ups are leeches who take way, way more than their fair share. It's selfish, avaricious, and wasteful, too, since past a certain point, they're not even doing anything with most of that money. It's just rotting uselessly in their coffers when it could go to people who would actually benefit from having it.

4. Raise taxes on the rich significantly and slash the damn military budget. Seriously, we spend more than the next, like, ten or so biggest military spenders on the planet combined. That's not normal, necessary, or frankly healthy. The military and the exorbitantly-, grotesquely-wealthy are the two biggest money and resource sinks plaguing America. Pretty much anything that people are skeptical about the practicality of acquiring funding for could be handily funded and then some by drawing money from one of those two places. Hell, all of those things combined could be, most likely.

5. Using money and resources freed up by point 4, guarantee all people living in America a place to stay, fresh food to eat and water to drink, clothes to wear, and access to restrooms, toiletries, and good healthcare and education. Universal base income would be a good thing to have, too. It doesn't have be anything luxurious, and I'm not suggesting it is, but essentially leaving people for dead, for the most part, simply because they don't have enough money, is positively barbaric, and our society does not need to do that in order to sustain itself. Tons of food is wasted every year because grocery stores and the like actively destroy what they don't end up selling despite that it's still perfectly usable just to prevent people from being able to obtain it without paying the business for it. The amount of pressure our society puts most people under simply to stay afloat is unnecessary and highly-detrimental to both the physical and psychological well-being of those people. Every human being deserves the right to live safely and with dignity.

These are far from the only changes I'd make, but I think these are the five biggest ones that would lay the groundwork for the rest of what I think needs done to form a better, happier, and more compassionate society.

Last edited:
    Back