• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding names

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I'm at a point in my story where I'm considering adding names to 4, 5, or 6 pokemon. I can pull off the process of doing it so far along in my story but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. The readers might get confused but names would add more depth to the characters.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You mean nicknames? I personally like the idea of nicknames. (All six Pokemon my character has have nicknames.) Don't worry about confusing the readers, as long as you describe who the Pokemon the name belongs to periodically.

Lasair nodded at his trainer's words. The Houndoom's head jerked to the right, his sharp ears detecting a sound in the distance.

If you do this, the readers won't forget what Pokemon has what nickname.

And hey, more depth to the characters is always good.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Kind of a silly thing to ask, but is your main character planning on catching more Pokemon besides Treecko?
    Do you plan on naming Treecko as well?

Don't worry, it's not that silly.

For the first question, yes. There will be a handful of more pokemon, to increase chemistry/friction between characters, plus its fun to develope their personalities.
    As for the 2nd question, Treecko has a 'clan name' but he's usually just called 'Treecko' by any other means.

You mean nicknames? I personally like the idea of nicknames. (All six Pokemon my character has have nicknames.) Don't worry about confusing the readers, as long as you describe who the Pokemon the name belongs to periodically.

If you do this, the readers won't forget what Pokemon has what nickname.

And hey, more depth to the characters is always good.

Thanks for the tips.

What are some good ways to name characters? I'm not really into the whole 'using eastern asian words' thing...I'll go as far as using Latin words, but thats all (with some exceptions)

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    I have some names:

Josh
    Terrence
    Billy
    James
    Danny
    Jack

Fred Fredburger(just kidding,:D)

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I plan on making all the Pokemon encountered in my fic (including significant wild Pokemon) have names given to them at birth. I can't stand the whole "I caught a Charmander! I'll name you Blaze!". When I actually find a person named Blaze, I'll consider naming a Pokemon that. Otherwise, I give them names that we don't see much these days (save two characters who were rushed). As you said, names add more depth and I feel they would do a better job if they were realistic.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I plan on making all the Pokemon encountered in my fic (including significant wild Pokemon) have names given to them at birth. I can't stand the whole "I caught a Charmander! I'll name you Blaze!". When I actually find a person named Blaze, I'll consider naming a Pokemon that. Otherwise, I give them names that we don't see much these days (save two characters who were rushed). As you said, names add more depth and I feel they would do a better job if they were realistic.

I don't really like that whole "omg i caught u now ill name u blaze" thing either, but, really, how is the trainer to know the name given to them at birth? Do they wear collars or something that has their name on it? O_o

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I don't really like that whole "omg i caught u now ill name u blaze" thing either, but, really, how is the trainer to know the name given to them at birth? Do they wear collars or something that has their name on it? O_o

Well, I got around this with my character understanding pokemon, so he can just ask them. ^ ^

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • I plan on making all the Pokemon encountered in my fic (including significant wild Pokemon) have names given to them at birth. I can't stand the whole "I caught a Charmander! I'll name you Blaze!". When I actually find a person named Blaze, I'll consider naming a Pokemon that. Otherwise, I give them names that we don't see much these days (save two characters who were rushed). As you said, names add more depth and I feel they would do a better job if they were realistic.

Technically, Blaze is a nickname, and very common one at that. XD

In my fics, I tend to make it the choice of the trainer. The Pokemon's name isn't in human language, so it obviously can't be understood, so the trainer gives it a unique name instead. For example, I have an in-process fanfic in which one of the main character's Pokemon is blessed with the unfortunate nickname of "Pidge-Gey-Gey-Pidge-Ot", and obviously upon obtaining him, my main character can't use that name. So, to get around it, he calls the bird 'Augustus' because he was reading ancient history at the time. XD

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Well, I got around this with my character understanding pokemon, so he can just ask them. ^ ^

Nicknaming pokemon is one less worry you have when a trainer can understand the pokemon's language, i guess.. XD I meant for the trainers who can't understand.

By the way, I'm still waiting to beta your story. Psshaw.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Nicknaming pokemon is one less worry you have when a trainer can understand the pokemon's language, i guess.. XD I meant for the trainers who can't understand.

By the way, I'm still waiting to beta your story. Psshaw.

Heh, yeah.

P.S:I'm sending it right after I finish this math (damn you, quadratic functions!)

Back