• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What should I get?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2017
    So they announced a new main series game for the switch. I haven't gotten a Pokemon game or a Nintendo system before and I'm planning to buy the new 2ds xl and buy moon and ultra moon when it comes out. So should I buy the 2ds xl and moon and ultra moon when it comes out or do I wait for more info on the switch game and make a decision then?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Welcome to the forums! No problems, I'll just move your thread to our general pokemon gaming area so you can have wider discussions about what to buy without problems.

I'd say buy a 3DS or a 2DS now and buy Sun or Moon (: they are great games. Then you can get US/UM when they release too. We don't know anything about the Switch game yet and the ones we do have for the 3/2DS are good.

Years
  • I'm with Adventure's recommendations. It's still a good time to get Sun & Moon and get accustomed to everything 7th Gen and Alola has, since Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon will be taking place in Alola as well.

We don't know any info about either US/UM or the new Switch game at this stage, but we should be getting coverage in the next few months so you can get to see what US/UM will be offering.

Flan

has the bird flu.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    Personally, I'd buy a 2DS/3DS because you already have an established library of Pokemon games to play. If you want, you can play SM, USUM, XY, and ORAS, and we're only talking about 3DS games here. You'd still be able to play DS games like HGSS, DPPt, BW, and B2W2.
    Your money wouldn't be wasted if you're interested in playing more of the franchise's games.
    The Pokemon Switch mainline game won't be out for a while, so you'll be waiting for some time to play it. It all depends on whether or not you intend to play more than a couple Pokemon games and if you're willing to wait to play them.

Years
  • I would get the 2DS and Ultra Sun and Moon because the Pokemon game on the Switch is still a couple of years off they said.

Years
  • I would get the 2ds because they are extremely affordable. Not to mention you can get a huge list of games at bargain prices from both the Eshop and on the used market right now. The switch is expensive imho and I myself may be saying goodbye to the pokemon games if they are not making anything beyond US/UM because I have other things to worry about like balancing my check book. It saddens me but I'm simply not made of money. Go for whichever you want but the future is clearly the Switch. The question is "is it worth the price it's at right now?" Also I would not carry it with me since it's screen is exposed and I feel like it it fell it would shatter. I could be wrong on that bit. But the fact it also looks like a tablet and the fact that some very bad people might target me for theft of said item I'd be too afraid to go to my local park to enjoy a nice sunny day with it. Why is the world so violent? T.T

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • you can play nearly all the games on the 2/3DS so even once the switch comes out it'll still be the best device for playing older games. not gonna stop being a good purchase anytime soon.

Back