• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraman228

My friends are my power.
Years

• All these posters here have it right. Every time a new generation comes out, people are always bringing up the same exact complaint. "Pokémon has become so unoriginal. Nothing beats the older Red and Blue days where things were so simple. " Well, that was about fourteen years ago since Red and Blue, and to be honest, what we have now is a lot better than what we had before. Yes, yes, I did say that what we have now is a lot better than before. For one, all the Pokémon back from the 1st and 2nd Generation were all very simple. I think when Pokémon became established and realized they could take risks in bringing more to Pokémon is when they started to develop even more. They became more unique in their own way. So, it isn't just a blue turtle with a shell anymore, it's something more than that. Actually, Pokémon hasn't even overdone anything with Pokémon yet. They are still relatively the same and simple as they used to be, just with a little more. So, in all respect, I think it's time a lot of players stop comparing the newer generations to the older generations. Now, that is pretty old and unoriginal if you ask me, since it happens every time. If anything, compare the new generation to the one before it, not one so many years back. It doesn't make any sense to compare Red and Blue to Black and White since they are two way different generations from two different eras in time. Pokémon is still Pokémon, nothing about that has changed.

As far as the graphics go, I would have quit Pokémon years ago if it had stayed like RBY and GSC. They were great at that time because nothing better was out. Now however we've been given more technology and larger spaces to work with. Like someone mentioned earlier, playing through city after city that looked the same got really old. At least every new generation we get now, each city has some new aspect to look forward to and the new graphics help with that ... a lot. So, if you're tired of what Pokémon has become now, then stop playing the newer games and stick to the older generation if that's what pleases you so much.

Saying this as easily as possible, but Pokémon isn't what it used to be. It's changed, so get used to it already and stop crying over something so old of a matter already. Not meaning to sound rude or harsh, but I'm just being direct to the topic at hand and giving my voice over the matter. That is, Pokémon is still Pokémon, change is expected, and it's tiring to see people keep comparing every new generation to the first generation [Red/Blue/Green] and then complaining about it.

Epic WIN!

This good person summarized everything I wanted to say.

Do you really want old R/B/Y or G/S/C Graphics or Pokemon style anymore. No, if it was still like the ol' 8 bit days, I would not be playing Pokemon anymore. Change is a good thing. I love most of the Gen III and IV Pokemon, Lucario being my favorite. Get a grip, play the game, and have fun :)

Years
  • i kinda agree with you but personally i like the way that creators try to create newer sleeker pokemon, it's true that some of them are complete fails (drapion for examlple) but a lot of them are pretty badass (gallade) i do sometimes wish that they can go back to the basics of the 1st gen but then again i'd like to see what new ideas and add-ons they come with

For the record i don't approve of the new starters except for Tsutaja (the snake obnoxious looking one) But i approve of the 2 legendaries and Zorua/Zoroark

Also, Hiiro just won this thread with that argument, no ifs ands or buts

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • hooray, black and white are finally here!
    wow, it's a new pokemon, let's see what it is!
    a blue ball with eyes! awesome!

in case you can't tell, i'm being sarcastic.
    if you don't like what's new, chuck your xbox out the window and go play pokemon blue like a good little boy.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd post a long rant explaining how times are changing and that you have to get used to new things, but Hiiro already said it.

I for one think that many of the Gen IV Pokémon are actually rather creative, even if they bear similarities to older species. And some of the Gen IV Pokémon were very creative and epic in their own right (Garchomp, anyone?). Admittedly, there were a few blunders (Probopass) in Gen IV, and the same will be said about Gen V, but in time it'll just grow on us. Disengage the nostalgia filter and prepare for the future, because it'll be here whether you like it or not.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2022
    I miss blue version :( and the yellow version cause pikachu follows u around

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • The way I see it, the Pokemon get uglier whenever people complain about them. Art styles change, for better of for worse. I, for one, actually thought that the Gen. V Pokemon (the revealed ones, that is) looked much simpler than the Pokes of Gen. III and Gen. IV.

Actually, I've decided that its not that Pokemon's going downhill, its just that we're growing up. Simple as that.

Toa Hyro

master of shadows
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2011
    All these posters here have it right. Every time a new generation comes out, people are always bringing up the same exact complaint. "Pokémon has become so unoriginal. Nothing beats the older Red and Blue days where things were so simple. " Well, that was about fourteen years ago since Red and Blue, and to be honest, what we have now is a lot better than what we had before. Yes, yes, I did say that what we have now is a lot better than before. For one, all the Pokémon back from the 1st and 2nd Generation were all very simple. I think when Pokémon became established and realized they could take risks in bringing more to Pokémon is when they started to develop even more. They became more unique in their own way. So, it isn't just a blue turtle with a shell anymore, it's something more than that. Actually, Pokémon hasn't even overdone anything with Pokémon yet. They are still relatively the same and simple as they used to be, just with a little more. So, in all respect, I think it's time a lot of players stop comparing the newer generations to the older generations. Now, that is pretty old and unoriginal if you ask me, since it happens every time. If anything, compare the new generation to the one before it, not one so many years back. It doesn't make any sense to compare Red and Blue to Black and White since they are two way different generations from two different eras in time. Pokémon is still Pokémon, nothing about that has changed.

As far as the graphics go, I would have quit Pokémon years ago if it had stayed like RBY and GSC. They were great at that time because nothing better was out. Now however we've been given more technology and larger spaces to work with. Like someone mentioned earlier, playing through city after city that looked the same got really old. At least every new generation we get now, each city has some new aspect to look forward to and the new graphics help with that ... a lot. So, if you're tired of what Pokémon has become now, then stop playing the newer games and stick to the older generation if that's what pleases you so much.

Saying this as easily as possible, but Pokémon isn't what it used to be. It's changed, so get used to it already and stop crying over something so old of a matter already. Not meaning to sound rude or harsh, but I'm just being direct to the topic at hand and giving my voice over the matter. That is, Pokémon is still Pokémon, change is expected, and it's tiring to see people keep comparing every new generation to the first generation [Red/Blue/Green] and then complaining about it.
    This is right stop complaining and get over it already.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I would find the series boring if it kept it's basic boring designs, especially this late.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • good point id post a long rant but some1 alredy did and i make way to many grammar mistakes. peoples get used to the fact that everything changes if i must say you cant expect to be with the same old things just because you like them(well you could)but you have got to let go.i liked red and blue also the gsc deries but i cant say that i dint love fire red or leaf green and i cant say i didnt love heart gold and soul silver id be liying if i did my point is that things change either for the worst or for the better. reshiram and the other 1 i forgot the name look extremly simple they just have a lot of details thats it but they are simple zoura and zoroark are simple too they look like remixed versions of eevee and lucario i guess that you cant say their not simplistic because they are.try coming up with atleast 100+ pokemon designs each gen its not easy right get used to change everything will change example:cars they making a change to hybrid i atleast love the sound that gas guslers make but we are running out of fuel 1 day it will be a law to atleast own a hybrid car(i hope its not true and that it never happens).i say get used to it(not trying to sound rude or anything).

Years
  • You know, Pokemon still has a lot of simplicity in it. Piplup and Chimchar were both very simple, as was Shinx, Pachirisu, Drifloon, Buneary, and a whole host of others. Honestly, I thought that Gen IV had much better pokemon than Gen III. I became interested after seeing Piplup, Chimchar, and Turtwig on a McDonald's ad in Japan. I hadn't been interested in pokemon in years. So I thought that was something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    The creators are losing their creativity. I agree. The pokemon are looking more like fanmon.... come to think of it, the fan made pokemon look even better. They should make a contest where everyone makes their own pokemon and some get picked for the game.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • I also agree that the pokemon are getting uglier. I liked the 2nd, 3rd generations and some pokemon from the 4th. I won't judge the 5th gen yet, but the starters do bug me.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Let me see... They got better LOL More better looking powerfuler and less like normal animals! What pokemon should look like! :D

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • The creators are losing their creativity. I agree. The pokemon are looking more like fanmon.... come to think of it, the fan made pokemon look even better. They should make a contest where everyone makes their own pokemon and some get picked for the game.

Oxymoron alert right there. They're losing their creativity by making more vibrant and detailed designs?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The thing I'm the most bitter about, is the legendaries.

Nothing wrong with them becoming plusiers numbers for each new gen, but they all look like robots now. Or wierd dolls. I liked Lugia and Ho-oh, they still had faces! And Mew and Mewtwo were a bit mysterious. I can stand some of the newer ones, like.... hm... Giratina. It's ok, especially in it's other shape. But the gen III legendaries can just go back home and stay there.

But meh. This is just me rambling like I've done in methinks many threads like this before.

I believe it's about how you feel about the games. We oldies who played the first ones when we were young and discovered pokémon, most of us (I assume) like gen I and II better. I think I've heard many of those who started playing pokémon when later generations were about thinks that they don't look too bad. And many of those who still do think gen I and II looks better, probably gets pepped up to think so by the oldies.
    Maybe.

Years
  • We oldies who played the first ones when we were young and discovered pokémon, most of us (I assume) like gen I and II better. I think I've heard many of those who started playing pokémon when later generations were about thinks that they don't look too bad. And many of those who still do think gen I and II looks better, probably gets pepped up to think so by the oldies.
    Maybe.

Well, I'd guess so in some cases, but I would definitely be the exception to the rule. I played Gen I and didn't think that a lot of the pokemon looked very good. I felt like the creators were just running out of ideas when they passed the likes of Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Doduo, Dodrio, and some others. When Gen II came out, I took a look at the pokemon that had been highly publicized--the starters, Marill, Donphan, Ho-Oh, and Lugia--and thought that they all looked hideous. With the exception of Donphan, I still feel the same way. That made me skip Gen II entirely. Gen III came out, and one look at Treeko, Torchic, and Mudkip made me think that it wasn't for me. Looking at some of the other designs from Gen III, I think it was a wise choice. As I said before, it was when I was in a Japanese McDonald's that I first saw Gen IV pokemon, and it re-kindled my interest because I thought the designs were so good.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • ^ Excactly. First and second gens were fine, in the the third it started to get a little weird… but Diamond and Pearl just killed Pokémon. I really hate how complicated the new legendaries are, and even the starters are a bit too detailed.

Same here. Around the same time Pokémon came out, things like Yugioh and Digimon came out too… and they just seemed to "fancy" to me, so I went with Pokemon. I really hope the other Pokémon don't get as over complicated as Digimon. It'll really ruin it.

But you have the new starters as your Avatar and in your sig? lol xD
    I agree though, I like the older stuff, it's more simple and better. But at the same time we better get used to change. Plus it's always interesting to see new things they come up with.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Awesome, ugly, pretty, cute, disguting.
    I don't care what would these Pokémon look like, I just pick my favorites and play.

I prefer ugly Pokémon over cute Pokémon anyways. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back