• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'll try the Nasty Plot set and see how that goes. Then, I'll try the Choice Scarf one. Thanks, you guys!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Explosion, 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp Def, is this good for a Gigalith?

Gigalith is better off using some form of offense. Without Custap Berry, it's not that good:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rock Blast/Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 196 HP/252 Atk/60 Spe
    Item: Custap Berry/Normal Gem/Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

Dalek_Kabu

Resident Fossil
    Years
  • Simple Question: need a Simple Answer how do i go about setting up a tournement to be held on PS? i have a few good ideas but dont know the right way of getting them started.

Shhmew

Years
  • Hey guys, so I'm extremely new to competitive battling, in fact I haven't even had a serious battle yet, still breeding pokemon~

I have a question... I really want to use either a Chansey or Blissey. I know Chansey with Eviolite is the better option, but I'm not looking for the best possible option, I'm just looking for the pros and cons of both. Also, whether to run one with Bold or Calm. I've done some research, and for Bold, I've read it gives Chansey/Blissey (more so Chansey) much better defensive bulk, but I've also read it doesn't matter at all because its defense is so low anyway, so you should invest in special defense/HP instead. So please let me know which one is correct (or, again, the pros and cons of both) and whether I should give a Chansey or Blissey Bold or Calm, and why. I would appreciate any educated input. Thank you!~

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Hey guys, so I'm extremely new to competitive battling, in fact I haven't even had a serious battle yet, still breeding pokemon~

I have a question... I really want to use either a Chansey or Blissey. I know Chansey with Eviolite is the better option, but I'm not looking for the best possible option, I'm just looking for the pros and cons of both. Also, whether to run one with Bold or Calm. I've done some research, and for Bold, I've read it gives Chansey/Blissey (more so Chansey) much better defensive bulk, but I've also read it doesn't matter at all because its defense is so low anyway, so you should invest in special defense/HP instead. So please let me know which one is correct (or, again, the pros and cons of both) and whether I should give a Chansey or Blissey Bold or Calm, and why. I would appreciate any educated input. Thank you!~

First I think you should get a chansey with Seismic Toss which can be obtained only thru gen 3. Of which I believe I do have one. Just need to clone it quick

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I want to have a good set for a reuniclus (trick room) and for a toxicroak
    Reuniclus:
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 192 HP/64 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard

Take note that Toxicroak is only good in rain teams, but it's taken a hit in usefulness this generation due to the Drizzle nerf:
    -Swords Dance
    -Drain Punch/Cross Chop/Low Kick
    -Sucker Punch
    -Poison Jab/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 28 HP/252 Atk/228 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Dry Skin
    Hey guys, so I'm extremely new to competitive battling, in fact I haven't even had a serious battle yet, still breeding pokemon~

Chansey has better bulk than Blissey because of Eviolite. However, it's worn down easily, even with access to Soft-boiled. Blissey is the preferred option because it has passive recovery in Leftovers; it also has usable enough Special Attack to make it less reliant on Seismic Toss and Toxic for damage:

Chansey:
    -Wish/Soft-boiled
    -Protect/Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Soft-boiled
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell/Aromatherapy
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Eviolite
    Ability: Natural Cure

Blissey:
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy
    -Soft-boiled
    -Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Wish
    -Protect/Soft-boiled
    -Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
    -Toxic
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef

The preferred nature is Bold for both Chansey and Blissey because it lets them take weak to moderately powered physical hits and respond accordingly. It's ideal to partner them up with physically defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory (tried and true since G/S/C) and Gliscor.

First I think you should get a chansey with Seismic Toss which can be obtained only thru gen 3. Of which I believe I do have one. Just need to clone it quick

Seismic Toss is now one of Chansey's egg moves. Breeding chain: Mankey/Primeape > Mawile > Chansey/Blissey

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • What are the best movesets for a Celebi without access to Pokebank moves (Giga Drain, Stealth Rock, etc)? For Modest, Timid, Calm, and Bold natures.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What are the best movesets for a Celebi without access to Pokebank moves (Giga Drain, Stealth Rock, etc)? For Modest, Timid, Calm, and Bold natures.

Offensive:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Psychic
    -Ancient Power/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Recover
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Defensive:
    -Psychic
    -Baton Pass/U-turn
    -Perish Song/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell
    -Recover
    Nature: Calm (preferred over Bold, as it has more useful specially-based resistances)
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    6 IV shiny Eevee

Heyy. I have a 6 IV shiny Eevee lvl 1 with a timid nature.
    What evolution type suits it best? also, on what lvl should I evolve it ?
    Thanks for your help ^_^

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    When there is an error message saying the communication with the other trainer has been lost. Does that count as a loss against me?
    If they were the ones who disconnected, it probably counts as a win for you and loss for them. I don't know for sure, though.

Thanks for your help ^_^
    Espeon and Jolteon are some of the most popular Eeveelutions, and Timid is the standard nature for both of them. Choice Scarf Sylveon could be used as well, but I'm unsure of its viability.

Evolving Eevee sometime before level 9 would be ideal for in-game play. All of the Eeveelutions learn their STAB move at level 9. For competitive play, it doesn't really matter. Espeon learns Psychic at level 37 and Morning Sun at level 33, which are some moves to consider. Sylveon learns Moonblast at level 37, but Hyper Voice is better.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Thanks for your help ^_^
    As said, only Espeon and Jolteon ever use this nature. However, Jolteon is very dependant on HP Ice, so Espeon is probably the better choice for now.

We recommend you to run 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Dual Screens. A Baton Passer is probably better off with a Bold nature. However, we still recommend you not to evolve Eevee before Level 33 where it learns BP. Even when you don't actually pass anything BP is still very useful in order to escape Pursuit; it's called soft-passing.

Our recommended set would be:

Espeon @ Light Clay
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 Spd / 244 HP / 12 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Psychic
    - Baton Pass

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

I've seen this on a lot of smogon sets too, such as this one off the top of my mind, and I've been wondering if there was an advantage to certain pokemon for having 248 HP as opposed to 252, and when it is advantageous. (Anyone can answer this.) Also, why do many sets for sweepers recommend putting the last 4 EVs into def/spdef as opposed to HP, while some recommend putting the 4 into HP?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I've seen this on a lot of smogon sets too, such as this one off the top of my mind, and I've been wondering if there was an advantage to certain pokemon for having 248 HP as opposed to 252, and when it is advantageous. (Anyone can answer this.) Also, why do many sets for sweepers recommend putting the last 4 EVs into def/spdef as opposed to HP, while some recommend putting the 4 into HP?

Making a Pokemon's HP divisible by 8 is bad because this means that the Pokemon takes less damage from Stealth Rock. Note that this depends on a Pokemon's base HP.

I'll use Scizor as an example. At level 100 assuming 31 HP IVs and 252 HP EVs, its HP will be at 344 (Scizor's base HP is 70 for reference). That's a number divisible by 8. If this Scizor switches into Stealth Rock 8 times and wasn't damaged during those times, it will be KOed on the 8th switch in. Take out 4 EVs from HP and you'll end up with 343 HP. This lets Scizor live 8 Stealth Rock switch ins total.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Making a Pokemon's HP divisible by 8 is bad because this means that the Pokemon takes less damage from Stealth Rock. Note that this depends on a Pokemon's base HP.

I'll use Scizor as an example. At level 100 assuming 31 HP IVs and 252 HP EVs, its HP will be at 344 (Scizor's base HP is 70 for reference). That's a number divisible by 8. If this Scizor switches into Stealth Rock 8 times and wasn't damaged during those times, it will be KOed on the 8th switch in. Take out 4 EVs from HP and you'll end up with 343 HP. This lets Scizor live 8 Stealth Rock switch ins total.
    If you want to avoid premature death by hazards you should also avoid divisibles by 4. Three layers of Spikes and Stealth Rocks on a Rock-weak Pokemon takes a quarter of your health. If your Pokemon is quad-weak to rocks you should keep your HP an odd number.

There are a few exceptions. If you mon of choice has to eat a Sitrus Berry (Belly Drum in Singles, Super Fang in Doubles) you better have an even number of HP. It's situational and should never take priority over bulk but is something to consider.

Also, when you play on a cartridge you will primarily battle at Lv. 50, so you have to use different EV speads in order to archive the correct HP.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back