• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction of the Month (September): Who Shot Brendan Birch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy

Eee.
Years
  • And the rest of the chapter . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

May Maple sighed as she ran the tips of her fingers on the smooth cold glass of a window. Another day, another Pok?doll.

"No new dolls . . ." May muttered under her breath as she looked through a Rustbaro store's window. "Torchic, got that, Marill, got that, Seedot, got it, Skitty, have that, ooh what's this!" she gasped in delight. "An Azuril doll! Latias, it's so cute! I just have to get it!" She rushed toward the store's door when a icy cold hand clenched and locked itself onto her upper arm. May jumped up in fright, feeling goose bumps run up and down her skin. "Hey, let go!" she cried, trying to pry the stranger's hands off. "Who are you!"

Through the black ski mask, May could see the strange man smirk, his crimson-red eyes sparkling with mischief. "You do not know who I am Miss Maple?" he inquired, chuckling. "I surely know you."

"Let go!" the girl trainer cried fiercely, her sapphire-blue eyes glowing with anger. May reached down for a Pok?ball. "Perhaps this will help you! Go Flare-"

"I wouldn't do that if I were you Miss Maple," the stranger warned. "Don't want to cause trouble do you? Alert the media? Catch people's eyes?"

"Maybe I do!" May shouted angrily.

The mysterious man just smiled smugly again. "Let me add one more. . . Alert the media, catch people's eyes, bring your little boyfriend here," he laughed, "and in his condition, who knows. . . It would be your fault if you get him hurt again wouldn't it?"

May growled but slowly placed Flare's Pok?ball back onto her belt loop.

"That's it," the stranger chuckled evilly again. "Now where was I before I was rudely interrupted? Oh yes, you don't know me then huh?"

"Of course not idiot!" May yelled, enraged. "Even if I did, I wouldn't know seeing as you are wearing a **** ski mask over your face!"

"Oh, how stupid of me!" the man chortled wickedly. Using his free hand, he removed the mask away from his face. "Now do you recognize me?" he questioned, throwing the ski mask behind his back. "I'm sure you do."

"Maxie!" May cried but her mouth was quickly covered by Maxie's other hand.

"Quiet girl!" Maxie barked furiously as he pushed May forward to start walking. "You don't want people to look now do we?"

"Mmm hmm!" May hummed indignantly.

Maxie led her towards an alley way between two stores. Sneering, he let go of her and pushed her into a wall. May used her hands to pushed herself off the wall. Quickly turning around, she looked around the Team Magma leader but couldn't find an escape. Backing up into the brick wall as Maxie began to advance on her was her only choice.

"Wha- what do you want with me?" she managed to get out. May reached down toward her backside to get a Pok?ball but found none. "What the-?"

"Looking for these?" Maxie tossed up a Pok?ball in his hand. Reaching out into his pocket, he pulled out five others. "Oh, are these yours too? Well aren't you careless, placing your Pok?balls behind you for Groudon's sake!" He returned the Pok?balls back into his pants' pocket. "Now I'll give you back your precious little Pok?mon if you answer some questions for me."

May frowned, her eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Such as . . .?"

"Number one," Maxie started, "from what I've overheard from people in town is that Brendan Birch got shot in the left arm. Am I right?"

May nodded. "Yes, go on."

"Who shot him exactly?" Maxie questioned as he leaned onto a brick wall.

"We're not to clear on that detail," May answered sharply, focusing her eyes on the busy streets in front of her. "It was earlier this morning and no one was really around. I left moments ago, a few minutes after everyone else left the celebration party. Brendan got shot by someone outside through a window after he finished a phone call with someone with a deep, hoarse voice. I saved him minutes later when I heard glass breaking. And why do you want to know? Brendan betrayed you remember?"

"For you information Miss Maple," Maxie retorted, a small smirk forming on his face. "He wouldn't of even thought of betraying me in the first place if a former Team Aqua Member over here convinced him to do so." He crossed his arms and stared into the distance. "I want to know because he is, after all, a Team Magma Admin."

"He was a Team Magma Admin," May corrected, "and if you remember, there was another Team Magma Member that betrayed you. . . they probably convinced him to rebel against you also."

Maxie just shrugged at this remark. "Have it your way then Maple. But I wouldn't snap too much if I were you, I still have your Pok?mon remember?"

"I remember!" May growled through clenched teeth.

Maxie laughed. "How easily trainers today get so angry! I'ts quite remarkable really." Maxie pocketed his hands. "So Miss Maple, who do think tried to kill Brendan Birch earlier this morning? Wally perhaps? Your dad? The former Pok?mon Leader? Maybe you even?"

May snorted. "And why should I tell you who I think shot Brendan?"

"Because I'm curious." Maxie's eyes narrowed.

May shook her head. "Well, right now I think you are the one that shot Brendan!"

"Me?" The Team Magma Leader pointed to himself and laughed. "That's a good one Miss Maple! Me try to kill Brendan Birch?"

"Yes! You have the right reasons to too!"

"Yes, it is true that I have every reason in the book to kill Brendan Birch," Maxie agreed, "but I also have a reason to kill everyone in the blasted world and yet I haven't. Hurting Brendan Birch is like signing a death contract with myself especially since he is the new Champion. I know my priorities as much as that is hard to believe though I do know someone who doesn't know when to quit."

"So you know then?" May inquired, bewildered by the Team Magma Leader.

"Who do you think called and warned Brendan earlier this morning?" Maxie snorted. "This attempted murder was kept tightly under wraps. Even I had a hard time finding out this one."

"So are you going to tell me or not?" May demanded, pushing herself up from the wall.

Maxie shook his head. "I see all, I know all," he said cooly. "You, on the other hand, need to find out by yourself." He placed May's six Pok?balls onto a garbage can as he swiftly turned toward the entrance of the alley. "Remember Miss Maple, it's easy to get angry but it takes more to keep cool. Trust no one, question everything, and always be on your guard. You never know what will happen if you don't . . ."

---

Detective Tony shook his head as he stopped the tape. Pressing play, he glared at the officer. "I fast forwarded it when the others were here because . . ."

"Oh please tell me, I'm just dying to find out!" Officer Jacob said sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

"I fast forwarded the tape because it would make them jump to conclusions!" Detective Tony snapped, frustrated with his partner. "If they saw this part of the tape, they would go all out on the suspect!"

"How would you know this?" Officer Jacob asked, perplexed. "You only looked at the tape for like ten seconds before fast forwarding!"

"I did look at the tape before the suspects saw it you idiot!"

"Wait . . . what?"

Detective Tony slapped his forehead and ran his hand down his face. "Why the hell did you become a officer if you have no common sense?"

"I only did it for the free donuts," Officer Jacob laughed. He noticed the odd look the detective was giving him. "What? I was kidding! And I did understand the question! Sheesh, calm down."

"I'm calm!" the detective snapped.

"Uh huh," the police officer rolled his eyes. "Anyways . . ." he directed his eyes toward the television, "what will make everyone jump to conclusions?"

"This." Detective Tony paused the tape and pointed towards a man in a white shirt and black pants. "Do you know this man?"

"Noooo . . ." Officer Jacob answered slowly.

"What?" The detective scratched his head. "He was just here with the other sus- oh, wrong person!" Detective Tony bit his lip and pointed to another man. "Now let me try again. Do you recognize this man? Steven isn't it?"

Officer Jacob smiled smugly. "Nope, that's some woman."

"What?" Detective Tony turned around to face the television but saw he was pointing at Steven. "I'm pointing at Steven you dolt!"

"Well, it's not like I can see him!" the officer argued back. "Your bloody big head is in the way!"

Detective Tony groaned and slapped his forehead again. "Whatever, alright, it's Steven! Now pay attention to the rest of the tape!" Snd with that, the detective pressed the 'Play' button.

On the tape, Brendan was cutting the congratulation cake that his mother baked for him, ignoring the comments that the Wally kid was giving him. He placed a piece of cake on a plate and gave it to May who smiled and gave it to another person behind her.

"And . . . what does this have to do with Steven?" Officer Jacob asked as he raised an eyebrow. "All he's doing is standing there, waiting for his turn for cake. Oh Latios, that does look suspicious now that I look at it twice. Perhaps the gun is in the cake! Run like there's a mountain lion behind you Brendan!"

"Quiet you!" Detective Tony barked. "Just keep watching Steven!"

Meanwhile on the tape, Brendan was giving Norman a piece of cake, but Steven on the other hand gave a note to the man behind him who read it and slipped in Steven's open hand a gun.

"Bloody hell, he's got a gun too!" Officer Jacob remarked as Steven on the tape put the gun in his pocket. "Too bad then."

"Too bad then?" Detective Tony shouted, stopping the tape with a closed fist. "What do you mean 'too bad then?' Steven has a bloody gun for Rayquaza's sake!"

"So?" Officer Jacob answered cooly. "What is your point? Do you not remember the trick gun that Norman said that he was supposedly suppose to pulled on Brendan with but didn't? We also witnessed the same trick with Mr. Wood today when he used his own fake gun to squirt black ink at Miss Maple. Perhaps one of those guns is Steven's. There is also the fact that Mr. Stone is another Pok?mon Master like Mr. Birch. And remember what Steven said today? 'All Pok?masters had an idiotic prank pulled on them.' Maybe he was going to pull a prank on Brendan but he was going to let Norman do it for him!"

"But do you not remember what Wally said?" Detective Tony argued. "He said that Norman had his own fake gun when he was talking with Brawly and Flannery, two other gym leaders! That was a long time after the cake."

"So?" Officer Jacob eyed the detective oddly.

"So?" the detective scoffed. "So it means that Steven had no time to give Norman his fake gun! Steven had to leave early like at ten at night or something to help get things for the Pokemon Master's Brunch that was suppose to happen today remember?"

"But that also proves that Steven had no way to shoot Brendan last night!" the officer retaliated quickly. "The brunch was supposedly suppose to take place at Ever Grande, the beginning of the end of their Hoenn journey for trainers. Ever Grande and Littleroot is a long distance."

"Not if you have a flying type and a bloody fast one too. Like Steven's Skarmony."

---

Wally poked his head in between some bushes outside of Brendan's house but found nothing except for broken twigs and Taillow poop. He fell back and sat down on the dirt path, staring up into the blue sky.

"This is hopeless," Wally muttered under his breath, watching a flock of Swellows fly by. "No clues, no nothing! And like those police officers are going to tell me anything anyways."

"Perhaps you need to ask someone else," a voice piped up from behind him. "Someone who will actually give you information."

Wally stood up and turned around. He raised and eyebrow, observing the boy. The boy was about his height and probably around the same age. He wore a purple vest over a black long-sleeved shirt and light green pants that draped over his black shoes. His dark green haired ruffled slightly in the wind.

"Who are you?" Wally asked, slowly reaching for a Pok?ball on his belt loop, "and why the hell is your hair greener than mine? Wait, should I be mad about that?"

"If you want to be," the boy replied. "I'm Drew. And you are?"

"Wally Wood," Wally answered back. "What are you doing here?"

"I've heard about the new Pok?mon League Champion for Hoenn got shot in the left arm and I wanted to see if it was true," Drew replied cooly. "Though I don't care much for battling, I'm more of a Pok?mon Coordinator." He smirked in pride.

"Ah . . ." Wally nodded, "good to know then."

"Isn't it?"

Wally paused for a minute. 'The ski mask!' he thought. 'The ski mask that Brendan found! It had green hair in it! Much darker green hair than mine . . . Just like Drew's! Is it possible that he's the attempted killer? But that's impossible! I don't think Brendan knows a Drew . . . but since when do you need to know someone before trying to kill them anyways?'

"Do you know Brendan Birch?" Wally blurted. He quickly slapped a hand over his mouth.

Drew raised an eyebrow and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Can't say I'm really good friends with him," he responded. "I met him through May Maple."

"You know May Maple?" Wally inquired, crossing his arms.

"Yeah," Shuu grumbled. "Don't tell her but she's one of my hardest competitors to beat. Her and that Beautifly of hers . . ."

Wally smirked. "Oh, are you that kid that gave May a rose once?"

"No!" Drew replied quickly as turning his head, a slight blush appearing on his cheeks. "The rose was for her Beautifly, not her."

"Uh huh," Wally laughed, noticing Shuu's flushed cheeks. "And the fact that your blushing?"

"It's really hot out isn't it?"

Wally shook his head and looked up at the sky, thinking again. 'Drew told me that May is one of his worst rival's in the Pok?mon Contests. Perhaps trying to kill her boyfriend might of effected her skills . . . That is if she goes back into competing. And he blushed and was very touchy when I mentioned that rose. Maybe he was trying to kill Brendan to get May?' Wally looked at Drew who was still trying to hide the blush on his cheeks. 'I don't know but all I know is that I better keep a close eye on this Drew boy . . .'

Hope you enjoyed.

LaTeR dAyZ!

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • I wub how my fanfic doesn't get bumped back too badly here. ^_^

Enjoy!

Chapter X:
    "A bloody bird can't fly that fast!" Officer Jacob retaliated quickly as he paused the tape. "It's not humanly, or in this case, Pok?mon-ly possible to fly from Ever Grande to Littleroot in a matter of a few minutes!"

Detective Tony scowled at the police man, eyebrow raised. "The shooting took place at four in the morning remember? If Steven left at ten at night, like I've said before, he would of spent at least two or three hours preparing the brunch. So let's see if you can add shall we? Ten plus three equals?"

"I get it, I get it!" Officer Jacob said coldly. He took his hat off his head and leaned on the desk. "It would be midnight or one o' clock by the time Steven finished with the decorations and preparations for the party. That would leave him three to four hours to fly back to Littleroot and supposedly try to commit homicide on young Mr. Birch."

"Exactly." The detective snapped his fingers. "Bloody hell Mr. Jacob Scott, I think you've got it!"

"Oh shut up Mr. Anthony Peterson, I do not need your sarcasm right now." Officer Jacob rolled his eyes in an annoyed manner. "Now there is the matter of WHY Mr. Steven Stone would shoot Mr. Birch isn't there? To the simple-minded like yourself," he ignored the glare the detective gave him, "it would be obvious that Mr. Stone would want to kill Mr. Birch to get his revenge for stealing his title and getting all the glory."

"Exactly again officer." Detective Tony nodded.

"But!" Officer Jacob held out a hand to stop the detective. "Mr. Steven Stone has been beaten before hasn't he? Why didn't Mr. Stone try to commit homicide on the last Pok?mon League Champion? It would seem that there is more to Mr. Steven Stone then what meets the simple-minded, eh Mr. Peterson? Mr. Stone must hold some kind of grudge against Mr. Brendan Birch in order for him to try to murder him. It is possible, detective, that Steven could of been the one to shoot at young Brendan but not for those obvious reasons that roam around inside your tiny, microscopic, little head of yours."

"But Officer Jacob," Detective Tony retorted back quickly, "there are plenty of other reasons why Mr. Steven Stone wanted to murder Mr. Brendan Birch."

"Really?" The officer raised an eyebrow, surprised. "Do tell."

"Let us pretend that I am Mr. Brendan Birch right now," the detective stated, "and you are Mr. Steven Stone. Now let us say that I, Brendan Birch, am acting really cocky, really arrogant, really egotistical-"

"We get it 'Brendan'."

"Ah yes, pardon me. Now where was I? Oh yes . . . now I am Brendan Birch, and you are Steven Stone. I, Brendan, acted really arrogant after I won the battle against you. Prancing around, screaming, dancing, chanting that I won, normal behavior for a new-born Pok?mon Champion isn't it? Well let's say you, Steven, got frustrated with it and got pushed over the edge . . . You broke through your mental barrier finally."

"Surely I, Steven, would be use to it by now."

"Perhaps, perhaps not. Okay, back to ourselves now." The detective rubbed his chin, thinking things over. "Now as you know seeing as you were smart enough to string together that 'there must be another reason to as why Steven would try to commit homicide' issue, you surely must know that you have to be calm and collected to be a Pok?mon Champion, especially the one defending every blasted champion in the entire region. You've got to be prepared to lose, or ready to win. You can't get your hopes to high, but you can't let losing lower you down either. Steven is a calm and collected guy as we all know. But what if Brendan's win pushed him over the edge? Steven has been defeated by some other trainers, much like Brendan himself . . . How would you feel if you lost against some middle-class rookie trainers in less than an hour?"

"Not too good I admit," Officer Jacob confessed. "So are you saying that Steven finally cracked after the battle with Brendan?"

"I suppose so Mr. Jacob, I suppose so . . ."

---

With eyes cast down toward the ground, the young white-haired champion, known as Brendan Birch, walked around the city of Rustbaro, every now and then signing a fan's autograph book, menu from a restaurant, or some people's arm with his good hand. Without realizing it, the trainer strayed into the shadows of the Devon Corporation and instantly saw the swish of a man's cloak, hearing his shoes stamping down on the asphalt streets.

Curious, the ruby-eyed trainer followed, keeping hot on the stranger's tracks. Brendan skid across the sidewalks, causing the smell of burning rubber to fill his nose.

"What is this place?" the boy asked himself as he looked up at the building. The building was definitely old and broken down from years of aging bring the name of "Rustboro" to good use. It was pretty big compared to himself but smaller compared to the Devon Corporation and the other new buildings in the area, causing this building to be overshadowed by them. Broken glass littered the base of the floor, probably from kids throwing rocks at the windows, and the door was sealed shut except for a small crawl space just enough for the average man to get into.

"Maybe it was part of the Devon Corps.," Brendan suggested, "or maybe it's just a run-down building. Whatever, not like I really care." Brendan slowly trailed closer to the building. "It's not like I'm curious." He peeked his head through a window without its glass. "It's not like I'm gonna crawl through that small crawl hole at the bottom of the door to see if that guy is in there or whatever." The white-haired trainer trotted over to the door and got on his knees. Using his one good arm, he managed to pull himself into the building.

"Great!" Brendan got back up on his feet after he crawled through the small hole, slapping his forehead soon after. "I've gotta stop listening to myself!" The Champion examined the room with careful eyes. This place was apparently an old hotel for it had a lobby desk and old red carpet decorated with circles, squares and other shapes. An old elevator shaft was to his left, right next to a hallway of dark shadows.

"I have been waiting for you Mr. Birch. . ." a voice echoed through an empty hallway.

"Who's there?" Brendan demanded, his eyes darting back and forth. He reached out for a Pok?ball. "Show yourself coward!"

The voice only laughed in reply, "Your quite the funny boy aren't you Mr. Birch? Smart, great with Pok?mon, and, of course, the new Pok?mon Champion. Of course you need humor to smooth things over don't you boy? Of course you need this humor to hide your fear. You're REEKING in it right now aren't you Mr. Brendan Birch? I can smell your fear, TASTE it even. I can feel it running in your veins right now."

Brendan growled in return. "If I am the coward, how come you won't come out of the shadows!"

The voice hissed back in return like an Ekans in distress. "Hiding in the shadows does not make one this so-called coward Mr. Birch. It's the fools that create the fear that are the cowards. Fear, panic, alarm . . . It is not the surrounding nor the creatures with it that start the fear. It's the person who is reacting to it that triggers it. Yes you, Mr. Birch, have created the fear that rests in the pit of your stomach, that runs through your thoughts, not I. I am just a lone person waiting . . . waiting for you that is."

"Oh?" Brendan raised an eyebrow, an angry scowl plastered on his face. "And why, pray tell, do you wait for me?"

"Questions, Mr. Birch, questions," the voice replied calmly. "You have created utter chaos through the entire Hoenn Region. I do not know how one simple bullet wound to the arm could cause such commotion. Plenty of people die, some in their sleep, some from unknown reasons, and some for heroic actions, yet it does not create this . . . turmoil that the small little gunshot wound on your left shoulder created. What makes you so special from the rest? What made you want to pull that trigger in the first place?"

"I did not pull the trigger!" Brendan retaliated, his forehead furrowing in his anger, his nose wrinkling in disgust.

The voice cackled. "Believe what you want to believe Mr. Birch, but in my eyes, and possibly everyone else's though they are too blind to see it, you might as been the one to pull the trigger. Like everything in this world, everything is triggered by emotion. Why people get killed, why wars get started . . . The emotions anger, hatred, despite and others such like those three trigger it. Why people fall in love? Happiness, bliss, and the word love itself triggers it."

Brendan shook his head. "Emotion does not trigger everything."

"But it does in most cases doesn't it Mr. Birch?" the voice countered back. "Now as for why someone would try to kill you . . . Oh, there are plenty of emotions behind that one, each one held by different people. Jealously, Wally Wood of course. Hatred, perhaps Steven Stone. Anger, Norman Maple without a doubt. Fear, maybe your dear old dad. And of course love, May Maple."

"Love!" Brendan shouted ludicrously, stifling his laughter. "Why would love want or try to kill me?"

"Love," the voice said back simply. "Love is such a funny word. How it can tie binds, bring two people close together . . . Yet you can fake love like every other emotion in this blasted world. Love brings two people closer together like I've said before. Perhaps young Miss Maple wanted you to be close to her . . . so she can stab you in the back that is!"

"You're wrong!" Brendan roared, stomping his feet on the ground in protest. "May would never betray me!"

"Are you sure about that Mr. Brendan?" the voice got louder and deeper. "Are you really sure about that? How much do you know about this girl and how many lies do you think she tells?"

"SHUT UP!" Brendan shouted, his voice pentrating through the thick walls of the old building. "YOU'RE WRONG! May is not like that!"

"Ah, but why are you getting so hyped up over this then?"

"Because that's my girlfriend your making serious accusations about!" Brendan said sharply.

"Ah yes, you're boyfriend with that girl aren't you?" the voice chuckled. "How pathetic. She got to you didn't you? Telling you lies of how she loves you, how she CARES for you, how she couldn't live without you! But reality check Mr. Birch! No one really cares, no one can really love, and everyone can live without knowing a single person in this world! Believe it or not Mr. Brendan Birch but it's true, admit it! I can read it in your soul; it's at the bottom of your heart! That girl has probably been giving you lies from the very beginning! She knew you would be something great so she tried to get to you from the very start! Seducing you, feeding you lies, trying to get you to love her so she can get to you . . . so she can rid of one of the strongest trainers in the world . . ."

Brendan stayed silent, quite shocked by the voice's words.

"Quiet eh? I must of gotten to you," the voice laughed once again. "Love is one of the strongest emotions out there. It can be unbreakable sometimes and it can hide the most darkest secrets and lies out there with its fluffy pink and white covering. It can fool even the smartest, it can trick you like a fool. Now I am not saying that May's emotion helped her trigger the gun, but if I were you, Mr. Brendan Birch, I would keep my distance from your girl. Put up your strongest mental barriers, and protect yourself from getting hurt again."

I've got to admit, that entire Brendan scene was inspired by Harry Potter. XP

Officer Jacob and Detective Tony suspect Steven now. . . and who's that voice that Brendan keeps talking to? So who do you think shot Brendan Birch?

. . . We're waiting. :D

LaTeR dAyZ!

Years
  • I still say Brendan shot himself.then I'm gonna tie it with that whole lie,love and stuff.so I'm gonna say that:
    Maxie called Brendan to warn him.Maxie thought Drew,the crazy love ridden co-ordinater was gonna shoot Brendan or at least try.Drew made it to Birch's house and then got out the gun.but then a few minutes before he was to comit murder Brendan pulls out a gun.Drew watches, stunned as the boy picks up the phone and then drops it.Drew back to reality throws a rock at the window and it shatters.Brendan takes this chance to shoot himself.he pulls up the gun and BANG!May comes on the flying pokemon.Drew hides in the bushes and watches the girl trainer with jealosy.then he gets the idea to frame Wood.between the time when Maple alerts the police and they arrive he slips off his ski mask and retrieves the rock.then he decides to hightail it out of there.he slips away with night as his cover and returns to his home.if he has a flying type it takes only a little while.but if he doesn't he returns home and his parent(if he lives with parents)ask where he has been.the news of Birch's injury has reached the media and they saw the news on tv.Drew explains he was on a walk.the parents don't believe him and he has thrown suspicion on himself.so he calls Maxie and arranges a deal.Maxie refuses and says he thinks Drew did it.he listens to part of the deal and modifies it.he is going to warn Maple and startle her at the same time.then an Auqa dude leads Birch to the rundown place.he tries to warn Birch and is working for Drew at the same time.Drew told him what to say and the Auqa dude made up some of it to go along with Drew's speech.
    okay I'm done with hypothesizing.man that took forever to write.its great you continued this again.

Years
  • I tried.I tried okay.I thought it was pretty smart to me seeing as I can't really ever figure out mysteries until the end when it tells you.

Hawk of the North

ph34r my 1337 5ki115
    Years
  • Wow, your talent's obvious, no doubt about that. You manage to keep the story moving, remain interesting, and keep the chapters long. Your grammar lapses from time to time, but just little things, generally. It catches my attention and keeps it, flopping from suspect to suspect. Just when you think it's in the open, something happens, which is really what keeps the attention. The humor in it always made me laugh. I'm waiting to see where the story goes, so keep up the good work!

lilbluecorsola

~¤Sea Priestess¤~
    Years
  • *gasp gasp* Okay, I just got through reading all the chapters you've posted here so far! ^^;

Well, as I said at SPPf, I love this fic to pieces. 8D A humorous mystery, just my cup of tea. (^.^)

There are a few mistakes here and there, but not really enough to impact the story itself. =)

Whew, I think I'll be following the fic from now on. ^^; I did say I needed to reread the first chapters, and I don't have too much of an advantage because I've nearly forgotten all the clues now. XP

Again, a really great story Breezy. =D *hands you a Supa Lolly andwaits for the next chapter*

LeaderMarina

Prof. Psycho Smily Thrower
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 20, 2009
    Wow...honestly, that is one of the best Pokemon Fan Fictions I have read. (And I've read many.) The story is gripping...not in the least bit boring. It plays with your mind so that when you think you've got it all figured out, something pops up at you, making your theory go down the drain. Really, you've done an awesome job here. I can't wait until the next chapter. I could not find anything wrong with it...

I applaud you on your humor. It made my sister think I was a bit crazy because I was laughing so hard.

HashiriyaR32

GT-R Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    BUMP

(They need to make the signature count towards the 25 character min)

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • I'm kinda confused right now. @_@ I have a feeling I screwed up posting this fic either here or at the . . . uh other forum I post at so . . . yeah heh. ^^;

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter XI:
    "What do you mean by that?" Brendan demanded, his ruby eyes still darting back and forth. "I don't understand! Put up my strongest mental barriers? Protect myself again? You know who tried to shoot me last night don't you? Tell me please!" The boy took a step forward and instantly, cold air brushed past him, slapping him hard with gentle fingers as if this was the voice's barrier. He ignored the cold feeling and look down at the old and dusty red carpet. "You do know, don't you? You knew before I was shot. You knew this was going to happen ever since I won the championship huh?"

The voice paused before answering, "I have known for the longest time Mr. Birch. Ever since you were born, I knew you were going to do great things in your life. Magnificent, beautiful things. It is not clear as to why you would; it's yet another mystery in my life that I am trying to solve. Perhaps I am meant to know to tell you when you seemed confused about your life I suppose. Now do I know who's emotion was so strong that it wanted to kill you? No, no I cannot say that I do Mr. Birch. But I know those few people that have that strong emotion to do it. Like Miss Maple's so-called love for you."

Brendan hesitated before speaking. "Do . . . do you honestly believe that emotion controls everything?"

"Perhaps, perhaps not," the voice responded. "For emotion does not control the stoplight on a street, a machine does that. Not unless the machine holds a certain grudge against the car I suppose, but in most cases, like who tried to murder you last night, emotion played an important roll in that. For a person would not just shoot a random person for no reason not unless their soul was created out of pure evil. No, the person that pulled that trigger on that gun had a strong emotion that you kindled from the start."

"What if the person just wanted to well . . . kill me?"

"Well, that is still an emotion after all. Boredom, Mr. Birch, boredom would of killed you if that was true. But since it is not . . ."

"I've got another question. Who . . . who are you?"

The voice didn't answer and instantly, Brendan felt the cold wind leave the room. "Just call me," the voice said in a quiet whisper as if left the hallway, "an unknown friend."

* * *​

Wally eyed the other green-haired boy suspiciously, rubbing his chin with his left hand. He cocked his head to the side, and squinted at the poor Drew kid. Drew, in return, stood there, the faint blush on his face dying down after the comment Wally made about May. Growing sick of the boy trainer's staring, the Pok?mon Coordinator questioned,

"What!"

Wally snapped out of his thoughts and glared at the boy contestant for disturbing him. "Nothing, just thinking, sheesh, I'm sorry if that's against the rules!" he retaliated back angrily, dropping his hands to his sides. "Can't a kid think without being questioned about it!"

"Well do you have to stare at me while you think!" Drew snapped back. "Do you know how annoying that is!"

'And I thought Brendan had a bad attitude' Wally thought.

"Whatever kid, I'm going!" Drew turned around and walked to the path toward Oldale, but Wally ran past him and stopped him in his tracks, kicking up dust in the process.

"You're not leaving, I have to ask you some questions!" Wally demanded, pulling a notebook and pencil from out of nowhere. "What do you know about Brendan Birch?"

The boy Pok?mon Coordinator smirked in return. "I know nothing except that he's the new Pok?mon Champion of Hoenn and that his girlfriend is May Maple. All the same things that everyone not really close to Brendan knows. What? Do you think that I tried to shoot Brendan Birch?" At this, he laughed jeeringly.

Wally only frowned in return, running a hand through his hair. His emerald-colored eyes sparkled with suspicion as he glowered at Drew. "I'm not saying you did," he replied sharply, "I'm just saying it's possible that it could be you. When I asked you about May and that rose that you supposedly gave to her Beautifly instead, you blushed. Do you have a thing for her or something?" Wally waited for an answer but got none. "Really now? No answer huh? Sounds oddly suspicious . . . Perhaps you wanted to kill Brendan to get to May!"

Drew snorted in disgust. "You're just saying the accusations that work for yourself too! I'm not sure if you like May or not, but your jealous just as well. Becoming a Pok?mon Master is your dream, but you only got to the semi-finals didn't you? Brendan is one of your worst rivals, and him achieving your dream before you must be like living a day through hell isn't it?"

Wally growled and raised a fist, ready to punch the living daylights out of the green-haired contestant. Instead, he slowly raised his fist down back to his side; fighting wasn't the answer anyways, and this kid wasn't worth getting his hands dirty.

"I'm just curious," the boy trainer said through clenched teeth. He forced a smile on his face like hooks were pulling the ends of lips upward. "It looks like we both hold a certain grudge against Brendan Birch. I do because he's the new Pokemon Champion of the Hoenn Region, and you . . . you . . . Well, you just hold a grudge against him." At this point, Wally felt rather pathetic for accusing Drew. He still wouldn't let him off that easily though. "Anyways, you know just as much as the people that watched the news on the television, I get it. Fun stuff."

"Yep," Drew replied, pocketing his hands inside his pants' pockets.

"Yep," Wally retorted, following suit.

The two stared at each other in silence again, both ignoring the high-pitched screech of the police alarm, and the shrill yelling going on over at the Birch residence. A gust of wind blew by, blowing both boy's hair in one direction. Drew, annoyed again, hollered,

"What are you looking at!"

Wally, surprised by the sudden outburst, stepped backwards onto an untied shoelace, causing him to fall over, causing him to get angry. "Must you yell!" he shouted, jumping back onto his feet. "I'm only a few yards away from you! Do you think I'm deaf! I CAN SPEAK ENGLISH! NO HABLA ESPANOL! NO HABLA . . . other languages!"

Drew smirked again, crossing his arms. He stayed silent and watched from the top of the hill as the police men began to search for clues over the neighborhood. "It's quite pathetic really," he said quietly as he observed with amused eyes. "How people these days over think things as if all things were a great big mystery! Sure, this is a mystery, but not a hard one to figure out."

Wally raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" he asked after a few seconds of silence.

"What I mean is," Shuu explained, "that a person could shout, 'I TRIED TO MURDER BRENDAN BIRCH' on the top of their lungs and people would think that their trying to protect the real murderer or something like that. I guess decades and decades of being fooled by the top criminal minds of Team Magma, Aqua, and Rocket helped, but still, people over think things sometimes. It blocks out the real picture by deceiving them with facts and logic."

"So are you saying that you know who tried to kill Brendan?" Wally inquired.

" 'Course not," Shuu scoffed. "I'm just giving you the . . . Well, facts of life. I suppose I over think things too by saying that I don't know who it is. The only real person who would know would be the one true witness: Brendan Birch. But since he was blinded with pain at the moment . . ."

"Well, I guess we'll never know now. . . "Yet anyways."

* * *​

Officer Jacob stood up and took the tape out of the VCR. He carefully placed it back in its box before looking back at Detective Tony. "So . . . we have a reason as to why Steven would try to kill Brendan. Shall we move on Detective Anthony Peterson, or shall we wait a few more minutes until your tiny little mind computes this information?"

"Oh shut your bloody old mouth officer," Detective Tony retaliated cooly. He sat down on the dusty black couch and laced his fingers together. "We shall move on then. Who is next on the list? Mr. Norman Maple?"

The police officer nodded. "Yes. Yet another obvious reason as to why he would want to try and commit homicide on young Mr. Brendan Birch. Miss May Maple is his daughter correct?"

"Correct," the detective answered.

"And she also wanted to be a Pokemon Master correct?"

"Correct."

"But she lost at the championship against the one and only Brendan Birch. Now you have kids don't you detective? Surely you want the best for them am I right?"

"Of course officer, for after all, most parents want their kids to be something. Why do you think parents enter their children into those idiotic reality television wannabe kid shows in the first place? So what I think you're saying is that Mr. Norman Maple's dreams got crushed for his daughter to win the Pok?mon League?"

"Exactly. When her dreams got crushed, his did too. That's why he could of tried to kill Brendan to get revenge for his daughter's loss!"

"Talk about sore loser, and he wasn't even the one competing in the league." Detective Tony stood up again, rolled his eyes at the disgust of Norman's parenting, and smoothed the creases out of his trench coat. "There is also the fact that if the Pok?mon League Champion happens to not fulfill his duties as Pok?mon Champion, abuses his powers, or something unfortunate happens to him, the understudy will take his place. Perhaps Mr. Maple thought that if he killed the new Pok?mon Champion, his daughter could take his place and be the new one instead!"

"And Mr. Maple is the Petalburg gym leader," the officer brought up. "Perhaps he, and I'm not saying he is like this, is ashamed that he lost to the understudy of the Pok?mon League even if it is his daughter during their gym battle." So he wanted to make her the champion by trying to kill Mr. Birch!"

"It's possible I suppose," the detective replied. "We now have the reasons as to why Mr. Norman Maple would try to kill Mr. Brendan Birch. But do we have the evidence to prove it?"

"Evidence one," Officer Jacob started, "Norman has a gun for protection. Everyone knows that in Littleroot Town; he's like the town guardian over all of them while they are sleeping."

"That's right. Evidence two: Wally states that Norman had a gun hidden underneath his sweater last night at the party. Norman explained that it was a trick gun and even demonstrated it in front of everyone."

"But it could be a trick, just like that so-called trick gun. That gun could of been real. Norman could of just had that gun with him today in order to contradict anything if fingers were pointed at him. And even if he didn't shoot the gun, he would of had to have lent the gun to someone else, leaving him also responsible for the attempted murder of Mr. Birch."

"Not unless someone stole the gun from him without his consent that is." Detective Tony walked over to the window and peeked out through the blinds. His eyes squinted at the bright glare of the sun reflecting on car windows. "There is also the fact," he started, "that someone is keeping a gun without a permit. All guns require one after all isn't that right Jacob?"

Officer Jacob nodded. "Yep, it's illegal to keep one without it . . . at least here in the Hoenn Region anyways."

"Makes sense," the detective muttered. "Anyways, it is possible that Norman DID NOT try to murder Brendan Birch. He left BEFORE May as he stated. Keyword there, before. That mean that Mr. Birch or Miss Maple could of seen or heard him leave the house. Miss Maple states that she left, took a quick shower and went to bed. She also states that she is a light sleeper and can be awaken to the slightest things, like the breaking of glass all the way next door. So she could of heard Norman leave."

"Not unless he escaped quietly without a sound," the police man retaliated quickly. "It's not that hard to leave a house without making a single peep especially if you don't have squeaky floorboards or doors."

"But!" the detective retorted. "Norman could of left when May was taking a shower! The water could drown out the noises that he could make. After he got outside, he could hide in a bush, wait for May's light to turn on and then off again, wait a few more minutes and then . . ." He pointed a finger to his head. "BAM!"

"Perhaps you're right, for once, about this one Detective Tony." Officer Jacob admitted. "Perhaps you're right . . ."

* * *​

"Tough day kid?" Drake, Dragon Master of the Hoenn Region and proud member of the Elite Four, asked as Steven collapsed into a chair in the Elite Four waiting room. "I guess I would too if I was accused of trying to murder the new Hoenn Pok?mon League Master."

"Eh, whatever," the silver-haired champion replied. He closed his eyes and meditated. "How can people think that I would try to kill Brendan? If I wanted to kill Brendan because he's a Pok?mon League Champion, I would of killed the entire lot of them that battled and won against me." He opened his eyes and looked at the dragon master. "Are the other Regional Champions coming over to sort this entire fiasco out Drake?"

Drake nodded. "Should be here in a few moments I expect. Which ones did you invite anyways? Red? Lance?"

"Those two yeah, and a few others," Steven replied. "This 'Pok?mon Champion has been shot!' story has traveled worldwide as Lance told me. Better kill this thing while it's young before rumors begin to spread . . . no pun intended about the killing thing by the way."

The slight swishing sound of a Flying Pok?mon landed was heard and a sudden gust of wind blew open the doors, shutting them soon after.

"Ah, Lance and Red are here I suppose," Drake said. "That Charizard and Dragonite of those two always landed too dramatically if I do say so myself." He chuckled merrily, looking at Steven soon afterward, "Hey, were those two at the Pok?mon League celebration last night at the Birch residence?"

Steven shook his head. "I doubt it, who would travel all the way from Johto and Kanto just to see Brendan, the world's most arrogant Pok?mon Master-"

"Now, now Steven, do not speak ill of Brendan. You never know if they would of come or not I might add," the elderly man pointed out, interrupting him. "After all, they were there for your party when you won the Hoenn League, and they were their for a few others too. Why not go to Brendan's, for after all, he did beat Team Magma, so he was pretty famous to begin with. And besides, those two were here in Hoenn to watch the competition remember? Most of the famous Pok?mon Champions watch the league battles after all."

"Still . . ." Steven trailed off before continuing, "they called me and said they couldn't come to the party last night. Didn't say what but they said they were busy with a few things."

'Wait a minute,' Steven thought. 'Busy with what! Sure, they are well-respected Pok?mon Champions, and they have more fans than they can count tenfold, but they could escape them to come to the party. It's not like that have family here in the Hoenn Region. Wait . . . Registeel, they couldn't be the . . . nah, they would never try to murder Brendan, they have the same reasons as me not to! But, that's just my opinion after all. I know that Red and Lance would never try to kill someone! Those two have been through too much to try and commit homicide right?' Steven's attention directed towards the swinging of the doors, and two familiar figures strolled into the room.

'Well,' he concluded, 'I guess I'll figure out the reason now!'

More suspects for you all haha! ::points at you and laughs:: Nah, I'm kidding. ::snickers:: Really, I am! =D

LaTeR dAyZ!

Pokemon AD Fan

drawing quietly, me
    Years
  • Nah~ Red & Lance couldn't have been the culprit... They have no reason to, and are they in the party that day? And i thought Charizard's Green? Red's supposed to have an Aerodactyl... If they are suspects, what is their reason? Maybe they think Brendan poses a threat to them... There's many reasons you can think of if you think hard... Anyways, your story plot's great! It keeps me in suspense, who that unown friend? Was it Maxie? TELL ME PLS!>_<

HashiriyaR32

GT-R Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    Bump is a GameFAQs term for sending a topic to the top of the list after posting.

Bring
    Up
    My
    Years
  • Once more I have a suspicion!Now I think it was May.She said she took her shower in a few minutes and then went to sleep.but....oh forget it I don't have a reason.I think May did it.She stole her dad's gun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back