• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Gen II Toolbox - Hacking GSC Without Dissassemblies in 2023

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
Years
    • Seen today
    Hey gang, I know everyone uses either PokeGold or PokeCrystal to hack GSC roms these days, but if you get intimidated by dissassemblies it may be worth it to check out some tools instead.

Most of these were made back in the late 2000s or early 2010s. I've scoured the internet for them and managed to find a good mix.

DOWNLOAD

All tools included in the download link:

Pokemon Renamer
    t2MGqLf.png

Does what it says. Useful because other tools that allow you to rename your Pokemon don't let you include special characters like hyphens or periods. That's what makes this one useful.

Pokemon Sprite Editor - AGIXPP411
    uyRN51t.png

Long sought after by amateur GSC hackers, this is the only tool ever created that allows you to edit the front and back sprites of Pokemon and even the in-battle Trainer sprites in GSC. Most links online are missing the relevant files, so to say I had to turn over a few rocks to find them is an understatement.
    Using it is pretty simple, in fact most of it is self-explanatory except for two important notes:
    -When first booting it up, it will ask you to either load an image file OR a rom. The process is easier if you load an image file first.
    -When loading the back sprite, make sure Color 1 is the exact same as the Color 1 you chose for the front sprite, and make sure Color 2 is the exact same Color 2 you chose for the front sprite. Otherwise the sprite will end up with inverted colors.

Note: If your inserted sprite looks garbled, that's because the sprite is the wrong size. In GSC, a sprite may only have the following dimensions: either 40x40, 48x48, or 56x56. Back sprites are always 48x48. Every Pokemon is associated a sprite size. This can be changed using Pokemon Editor Ultimate, which I have also included here.
    Important: In order to get this tool to work, you need to download Active X Control Pad (Google it) and run AGIXP as an Administrator.
    WARNING: MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE USING. EVERY TIME. This program lets you choose where you want to insert your new sprite, but unless you have a specific offset in mind it'll just insert it wherever it thinks it found some empty space. Not choosing your own offsets will screw up your rom pretty quickly.

Stats and Typing Editor - Pokemon Editor Ultimate
    Oru8omk.png

Super useful tool. Edits a Pokemon's stats, Type, Cries, gender ratio, and even menu sprite.
    Pic Size will allow you to change the Pokemon's sprite size. Set it to 77 if you want the Pokemon to have a 56x56 pixel sprite.
    This tool has great synergy with the movepool and evolution editor, included below.

Movepool and Evolution Editor - OneGSEdit
    Tc5Hk93.png

Self-explanatory and easy to use.
    WARNING: You can give a Pokemon less moves than it started with, but not more. Adding more will probably glitch the game. However, from what I can tell there seems to be no danger in adding additional evolutionary paths.
    Works well with Pokemon Editor Ultimate since it gives you the Pokemon's movepool/evoluton "ID."

Another Stats and Typing Editor - Pokemon Gen II Editor
    MBBzVvv.png

Not quite as versatile as Pokemon Editor Ultimate, but it has one advantage: moves can be edited easily. It can't add or subtract moves like OneGSEdit can but the nature of the drop-down menu makes movepool editing more efficient.
    Please note that if you renamed your Pokemon to something with lowercase letters or special characters, this program will rename the Pokemon's name with the lowercase letters and special characters removed.

Gold Map
    zSQ24iH.png

This tool does A LOT. I use it for the Wild Pokemon tab to edit wild encounters. However, it cannot edit Surfing encounters.

Encounter Editor - GSC Wild Pokemon Editor
    jrxGTYP.png

Best wild encounter editor.

Trainer Editor - The One GSC Trainer Editor
    HabZjWM.png

Self-explanatory.
    WARNING: You can subtract data (Pokemon, custom moves, items, etc.) from a trainer but you cannot add additional data. Doing so will damage the rom.

Another Trainer Editor - GSC Trainer Editor
    AtBeYdI.png

Not as powerful as The One GSC Trainer Editor, but has the advantage of displaying your Pokemon's new names in the drop-down menu if that helps.

Dialogue Editor - PokeText
    GQwwfFX.png

Useful for editing some of the dialogue. Unfortunately not every piece of dialogue is displayed.

Mart Editor - GS Mart Editor
    EAnJgtD.png

Self-explanatory.

In-Game Trade Editor- TradeEd GSC
    dbjyoWe.png

Self-explanatory.

Attack Editor - PACv1.10
    nVtYZlF.png

All in German but pretty easy to figure out. You can edit the name, description, power, PP, and effects of any attack. Not sure if it can edit the animation though; I haven't played around with it much.

TM Editor- TM Master GSC
    TNej65p.png

I removed this one since one commenter said it was triggering his anti-virus. But feel free to find it on Google.
    Useful for editing not only what each TM teaches but also which Pokemon can use which TM.

Starter Editor - StartED GSC
    GtjDR0e.png

Self-explanatory. Also edits the first rival battle.

Overworld Sprite Editor - pkSprite
    2yVipzc.png

Lets you edit overworld sprites and the ones that double as Menu Sprites (Clefairy, Lapras, etc.)

ItemEditor - afie
    PX1Rf2A.png

All in Spanish but pretty easy to figure out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    Lot's of thanks, many romhacking tools have been lost trough ages as people moved on to dissassemblies.
    I've been trying to find gen1 tools and information for some days now and I'm really surprised at how scarce the information is, and many links to tools are down.

If you happen to have something similar for gen1 it would be awesome.

EDIT: TMMaster GSC.exe is triggering my antivirus

Last edited:

Capt.Robvious

That One Guy
    Years
  • This is a great post! I have been trying to find some of these tools in the past but like the comment above said, its pretty hard.

I personally think the whole disassembly thing is hard so if anyone has any tips or tricks, please let me know.

Years
    • She/Her + They/Them
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    the sprite editor "AGIXP411" comes up with an error saying "Component 'FM20.DLL' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    the sprite editor "AGIXP411" comes up with an error saying "Component 'FM20.DLL' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Did you download and install Active Control Pad X? And then did you run AGIXP as an administrator?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    There's one thing that may be interesting to some:
    Both GoldMap and the Encounter Editor come with their respective source code.

GoldMap is written in Delphi (presumably Delphi 7 given its age). It should be fairly straightforward to port it to newer Delphi versions, though.

The Encounter Editor is written in Free Pascal which is very similar to Delphi.

So, if you're somewhat accustomed to programming and want to add some functionality to one of these tools then the option is there. ;)

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2023
    How do you use PkSprite editor 1.0?

Cuz when i edit the sprite, and save, and move on to the next sprite, and save that one, the sprite before it disappears/becomes the one i just saved, how do i fix this problem, is there a guide, or a video on how to use to tool?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    How do you use PkSprite editor 1.0?

Cuz when i edit the sprite, and save, and move on to the next sprite, and save that one, the sprite before it disappears/becomes the one i just saved, how do i fix this problem, is there a guide, or a video on how to use to tool?

That's strange, it doesn't do that for me. 🤔Idk my guy.

TehSquidly

. . .
    Years
  • Trainer Editor - The One GSC Trainer Editor
    HabZjWM.png

Self-explanatory.
    WARNING: You can subtract data (Pokemon, custom moves, items, etc.) from a trainer but you cannot add additional data. Doing so will damage the rom.

Thank you, this helps out a ton as I was doing a lot of this by hand with HEX.

When you say, "adding data will damage the ROM" do you mean I'm not able to add additional pokemon?

Years
    • Seen today

When you say, "adding data will damage the ROM" do you mean I'm not able to add additional pokemon?

I think what the poster means by that is adding more pokemon and new moves to trianers then originally there could break the rom as most of the tools are old

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today

Correct. Adding additional Pokemon is a no-no. I also wouldn't risk adding held items or changing set moves to custom moves, just in case.

You can change or subtract. But not add.

TehSquidly

. . .
    Years
  • Does anyone know how to edit which trainer sprite appears in battle?

I want to keep the events the same, i just want to make another trainers class sprite appear instead of the defaults.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Does anyone know how to edit which trainer sprite appears in battle?

I want to keep the events the same, i just want to make another trainers class sprite appear instead of the defaults.

Actually the Sprite Editor included here (AGIXP411) lets you edit Trainer Sprites as well as Pokemon. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    It seems that some of the tools, notably the Attack Editor, are unusable. When trying to use them, an error message will appear, saying that a component or one of its dependencies are missing. Is it a glitch on my part or is it because the tools are just really old?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    It seems that some of the tools, notably the Attack Editor, are unusable. When trying to use them, an error message will appear, saying that a component or one of its dependencies are missing. Is it a glitch on my part or is it because the tools are just really old?

Strange, it works on my end. It must be because the tools are indeed, as you said, really, really old lol

For example, in order for AGIXP to work you need to also download Active X Control Pad and run AGIXP as an Administrator. Perhaps the Attack Editor is the same?

Back