• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Noob Scripter here, wanting to start a ROMhack

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2021
    And by noob I mean I haven't started and I already need help. If this isn't exactly the best place to ask, active places that can help are welcome. I would like to use CFRU [Complete Firered Upgrade] in my hack. The problem is, the instructions are extremely complicated, and it's hard to keep track of what I have to do to get everything set up. Furthermore, I don't understand the terms or the whys of what each script i'm needed to enter is going to do. I can map fine but I can tell scripting will hold me back. Just in case anyones curious, I plan to port Sun/Moon into a GBA style, with 2d overworld. But to get most of Sun/Moons features, CFRU is essential. Also any tips to stay motivated on a project like this will be helpful.
    Tl:Dr need help understanding and getting CFRU and setting it up, and possibly somewhere where I can get consistent script help and other ROM Hack questions.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I can't comment much onn CFRU because I've never used it, but you're definitely in the right place to ask questions and get help! As for scripting help, this tutorial might be of some use to you.

Years
  • Same here, i also want to add CFRU to my Hack but without sucess...
    I don't really know why it doesn't work, but when i get to the injection, it doesn't show anything to the Command box and not make any file...

But well, i think maybe i'm doing something wrong...
    -I've installed the Python 3.7.6.
    -I have the last release of both DPE and CFRU.
    -I'm using the correct ROM.
    -With Devkitpro the thing is kinda peculiar, because somebody sent me the ARM packages and then i've installed the program, maybe it's not detecting them...
    I haven't downloaded it because of my Internet connection, otherwise i full installed it at the first run...

Years
  • Same here, i also want to add CFRU to my Hack but without sucess...
    I don't really know why it doesn't work, but when i get to the injection, it doesn't show anything to the Command box and not make any file...

But well, i think maybe i'm doing something wrong...
    -I've installed the Python 3.7.6.
    -I have the last release of both DPE and CFRU.
    -I'm using the correct ROM.
    -With Devkitpro the thing is kinda peculiar, because somebody sent me the ARM packages and then i've installed the program, maybe it's not detecting them...
    I haven't downloaded it because of my Internet connection, otherwise i full installed it at the first run...

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2021
    Good luck and i'm glad you found the help you need, unfortunately the projects more or less cancelled at least for now. I don't think this is my speed with how complex it is. If I ever do a ROM hack it'll likely be without CFRU.

Back