• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I thoroughly enjoyed this hack! I was very surprised that I finished the beta 4, it just makes me want to play more! I just love it. ;o; and most especially the graphics, ah, I love the old ones, they're special to my heart. (Because I effing remember how clueless I was when I first played the Pokemon GBA, the Yellow one. /cries.)

Would Beta 5 be compatible with Beta 4 save? I've been training both my team pokemon and the other pokemon in PC for the next beta. I'm so gonna crush the both trainers and team darkness with my level 70 team pokemon, hahaha. xD

I really love this, I'm brimming with excitement for the next beta, oh maaan.
I can't promise everything will work properly in beta 5 with beta 4 save but I'll try to have them compatible. Whether you can use beta 4 save file or not depends on, do I have to reorganize ram memory usage.

Nice to hear you have liked it a lot :)

Are you still working on this I really enjoy this hack the story is fun and exciting and seem like an good old fashion rpg. I hope you have somance between certain characters too. :)
There will be something going on between certain characters in the next release but I probably won't make it go "that far". The player itself may have a way to affect the outcome of certain things related to this later on though.

Not too sure I've been assigned any side quests yet since it says "0/7" on my ID card, but this game is so much fun! Definitely would recommend this to other players to try out :D and the battle simulation was a genius idea! Thanks for making this!
You have probably played far enough to finish a sidequest or two already but if not, I'll just say that you're not really assigned to sidequests - they're just added to your ID card when the game tells you you have finished a certain sidequest (which are pretty much somewhat unique events that don't have to be seen to complete the game).

Sure, no problem :)

I have played this version 4.1 on my 2 Computers (Windows 7 and Windows 8.1) and on my phone I have got 3 profiles on my Windows 7, 4 on my Windows 8.1 and 1 on my Phone and I got to the end every time and I can't wait for more gameplay and all I have left on all the profiles is the pokedex (230 out of 251 seen) (need Poliwag, Gastly, Celebii, Mewtwo? (Not sure if there or replaced like Lugia for Super Onix), Blittisy (evolves from Chansy), Drownie (in FireRed and LeafGreen its in the patch of grass on Island 3 after getting the Natural Pokedex), Unown, Rikeu, Enti, Suecoun, Pre-evolvetion of Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee & Hitmontop and some others I can't remember the names of.)
You won't be able to get all the pokemon in beta 5 because I have naturally reserved some for later releases as the game is not done.

Really interesting hack you have made and I have just started playing it but using final fantasy and many other rpg games techniques in a pokemon hack is certainly a first for me though have you only added 251 pokemon from kanto and johto or have you added more and what about some pokemon like sneasel and magmar who have evolutions in gen 4 so have you added their evolutions as well????
the pokemon battling thing in the centre is a nice touch for grinding too
I haven't added evolutions for pokemon that have them in later generations. I could actually do that but this would "require" removing some original gsc pokemon off the hack. It is literally possible to add them without removing any original pokemon but this hasn't been done in a gsc hack before - unless KBM implemented it already in Prism.

If I become interested enough in doing lots of engine hacking (this is quite difficult at the same time because it involves debugging and coding things so that no bugs appear in the game in any situations and such) and including new pokemon in the game (I personally feel like the game is good enough with the pokemon there are in it already), I might include new pokemon in the hack without replacing any of the ones already in it. But I'm not even sure I can do this - at least, it wouldn't be easy figuring out all that would have to be done.

Does this hack have a phys/special split like the gen 4 games onward? I figured I'd ask since there are patches for that on skeetendo and a few G/S/C rom hacks (and even some R/B/Y hacks) as of late have been utilizing them.
I haven't included the P/S split. Including it might make the hack unbalanced and I would probably have to do a couple of "test plays" of the hack with different pokemon teams and seeing that the game doesn't turn out too easy nor it wouldn't turn out too difficult.

Another thing is that I have never been much of a fan of the newer generations either (haven't ever finished any of the gen IV games and I have tried gen V but wasn't interested enough in playing it for real) and because I have been so used to not having the P/S split (because it didn't exist in gen I - III), I don't want to mine to have that either.

Anyway, if people really want me to include P/S split in this hack, I could make an additional patch for adding it. It would still unbalance the game - at least a little - though.

Anyhow... what comes to me not replying in some time, I have been really busy during the last one and half weeks. Even now I have a half week undone school work waiting for me that I couldn't have done earlier because of having lots of student organization duties at university. So beside being away from here, I haven't had any time to continue with the hack either.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Hey Miksy, I hope everything is going well. I did enjoy playing through dark energy.
I do have some slight gameplay+story ideas for Dark Energy.

1.) Disabling revives, max revives, revival herbs during battle (but working outside of battle, like rare candies)
2.) Disabling stat exp (I could go into more detail about it and send a link of reference, but it works well, and if you know the offset, "nop" does the job)
I was able to easily do this with my two hacks, Crystal Kaizo and even Blue Kaizo, just to give a more "heavy" experience.
Imagine how much more suspenseful in conjunction with the "game over" sequences, and it makes boss battles feel intense and climactic.
Given the offsets, I could even do this for you if you want.

Some other Story suggestions
1.) Elite henchmen types for team darkness in the last dungeon,
As many RPGs have these endgame nonboss enemy types that show these enemies mean business
(For example, like a team darkness soldier/agent/guard compared to grunts,
maybe with a female sprite, with good ai, and
With The most intimidating team setups that are second only to their leaders and admins, but stronger than any other trainer type
(Basically, an evil counterpart to cool trainers, which is actually
An original idea for a pokemon hack, and it really does an amazing job in setting the tone for an end all climax)

2.)Definitive final dungeon, like a big dark, forboding fortress interiors And textures
Maybe some tricky puzzles, such as Sliding puzzle (though from personal experience,
These are hard to make, so you could disregard the sliding puzzle idea)

3.)A suitable intimidating or ominous final dungeon music, could work in setting a "final dungeon" atmosphere.

I also posted this at skeetendo's forums, and I hope everything goes well. Universities are very busy times. So what do you think of these ideas?

miksy91

Years
Hey Miksy, I hope everything is going well. I did enjoy playing through dark energy.
I do have some slight gameplay+story ideas for Dark Energy.

1.) Disabling revives, max revives, revival herbs during battle (but working outside of battle, like rare candies)
2.) Disabling stat exp (I could go into more detail about it and send a link of reference, but it works well, and if you know the offset, "nop" does the job)
I was able to easily do this with my two hacks, Crystal Kaizo and even Blue Kaizo, just to give a more "heavy" experience.
Imagine how much more suspenseful in conjunction with the "game over" sequences, and it makes boss battles feel intense and climactic.
Given the offsets, I could even do this for you if you want.

Some other Story suggestions
1.) Elite henchmen types for team darkness in the last dungeon,
As many RPGs have these endgame nonboss enemy types that show these enemies mean business
(For example, like a team darkness soldier/agent/guard compared to grunts,
maybe with a female sprite, with good ai, and
With The most intimidating team setups that are second only to their leaders and admins, but stronger than any other trainer type
(Basically, an evil counterpart to cool trainers, which is actually
An original idea for a pokemon hack, and it really does an amazing job in setting the tone for an end all climax)

2.)Definitive final dungeon, like a big dark, forboding fortress interiors And textures
Maybe some tricky puzzles, such as Sliding puzzle (though from personal experience,
These are hard to make, so you could disregard the sliding puzzle idea)

3.)A suitable intimidating or ominous final dungeon music, could work in setting a "final dungeon" atmosphere.

I also posted this at skeetendo's forums, and I hope everything goes well. Universities are very busy times. So what do you think of these ideas?
Sorry - I did notice you posted this message there too but the time I saw it, I either didn't feel like replying straight or didn't have time for that at the time either. And I just forgot to do so.

Making revives unusable during battles might make the hack more interesting and I believe players wouldn't hate that change so I might make it so. What comes to traded pokemon receiving more exp, I don't see a point in changing it. I personally like the way it works right now because that way there is a point in getting those pokemon through trading.

For example Girafarig that you can get in The Capital can be gotten by going to North Star and catching a Machop and returning there for trading. Then again Abra can be gotten easily through Battle Simulator and evolving it to Kadabra is quite easy and it will definitely turn out stronger than Girafarig, but with boosted exp gain, Girafarig is a good choice to get too.

There will be 3 "big bosses" of Team Darkness of which one is that "Captain" who has the Steelix (who won't fight you with his whole team because of Sage Neal in Milky Village) and his team gets also more powerful the further you get in the game. Another one is that Rosalyn - I'm not sure whether she will fight you again or not though but possibly - depending on what happens exactly during certain event in the game. Then there is also a third boss - at least sort of who I won't give any more information as of now. And of course, there is also a man or two in the lead.
But yeah, I'll most likely put in some "mini bosses" you have to face in the headquarters of Team Darkness too.

There will be no final dungeon in this hack but there is lots of unique and cool stuff in the "end-part" of the game. :)

But thanks for the ideas! :)
I have planned most things that will be included in the game already expect exact dialogues for people and such that I usually figure out just before I'm about to script the events. Therefore I won't need much help with planning either and including some things that you see in other hacks - like final dungeon - wouldn't make much sense to include here either.
But didn't mean, or want to run you down or anything - you don't have to feel so after reading this either.

miksy91

Years
Is this hack playable without a RTC function? (Like if i want to play on my Everdrive GB flashcart, which does not have a RTC)
It most likely is but I haven't tested this with an emulating system that doesn't support RTC like the nomal GB does. I don't see what could go wrong though - only thing that might cause problems is North Star and the "freezing thingy" in there (= you'll catch cold as time passes) but that should be related to CPU speed, not RTC.

But can't say for sure really.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 22, 2023
This game is great you have a great story talent here, making fantasy games is not easy but you have talent to make them.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 7, 2015
Hey Miksy,
I first started playing Dark Energy over a year ago, and I loved it. I played all the way to the end of whatever the current beta was, and then moved on to other things. I recently decided to check in and saw that Beta 4.1 is available, so i downloaded it and tried to play, but I can't get my emulator to play it. I've tried playing directly from the .zip file, and also by unpacking and playing from those files, but it just wont load. I haven't changed emulators since last time, so I'm not sure whats wrong. Any tips? I'm using both GBCoid and GameBoid on Kindle Fire.
Thank you for your help and for spending so much of your valuable time making the best Pokemon Hack I've ever played.

miksy91

Years
This game is great you have a great story talent here, making fantasy games is not easy but you have talent to make them.
Thank you :)

Hey Miksy,
I first started playing Dark Energy over a year ago, and I loved it. I played all the way to the end of whatever the current beta was, and then moved on to other things. I recently decided to check in and saw that Beta 4.1 is available, so i downloaded it and tried to play, but I can't get my emulator to play it. I've tried playing directly from the .zip file, and also by unpacking and playing from those files, but it just wont load. I haven't changed emulators since last time, so I'm not sure whats wrong. Any tips? I'm using both GBCoid and GameBoid on Kindle Fire.
Thank you for your help and for spending so much of your valuable time making the best Pokemon Hack I've ever played.
Hi,

Did you by any chance find a rom file of beta 3 (or beta 4.0) somewhere? Here I may not distribute a rom file but instead, it's "okay" to share IPS patches that contain data that has been edited - in this case in Pokemon Silver (U) rom - to make the game function the way it does (= it's still Pokemon Silver but so many changes that it feels like a totally different game).

You can find a patching tutorial here:
http://fantasyanime.com/patching

You should probably do the patching on computer with Lunar Ips and then move the patched file to your device (if not PC) where you have GBCoid.

In case you played beta 4.0 before, there aren't that many changes to it, but there are some new things here and there. But have fun with this fun either way! :)

miksy91

Years
How far does this hack go to?
I must ask, what is the completion rate of this game? How far are you is it almost complete?
The hack is still far from done. I have yet to implement a couple of towns, routes and other areas until you would attack headquarters of Team Darkness and that is where beta 5 will probably end. And it looks like that already covers the whole game since it looks like all the in-game maps are in it.

However, there will be no post-game but a somewhat new world (very small though) to explore which gives interesting background information to the story that has happened in the game this far. The final battle of the hack also takes place here and not in the headquarters although it looks like that.

So yeah - far from complete but there is LOTS of stuff in the hack already and I'd say that it's broader in terms of gameplay than for example Ruby and Sapphire by Gamefreak. There are also lots of quests in the hack already that you wouldn't have to do to proceed in terms of storyline (and finishing the hack).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 22, 2023
In beta 5 will the 4 towns/cities that are not in here so far, be in beta 5. Will the Castle be in beta 5 as well. And the red diamonds shaped dotes be there as well??????????????

miksy91

Years
In beta 5 will the 4 towns/cities that are not in here so far, be in beta 5. Will the Castle be in beta 5 as well. And the red diamonds shaped dotes be there as well??????????????
Yeah, I'll include whole East-Suden in beta 5.

Pokemon%20Dark%20Energy.png
I know... will probably do something about this for the next release.
I personally never use this background when emulating the game although I have known it is in there and should be fixed.

Do all gym leaders will teach you special moves after you beat them?
No, just trainers who have pokemon that know special moves.
I have probably documented those trainers either in ReadMe or in the first post here. If not, there are at least Ritch, a bug catcher with Headbutt-Metapod and the gym leader using electric types, whatever his name was Pierce.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 20, 2015
Hey miksy, finished playing beta 4.1 once again! ;D i love this one! would u please give a hint, just a bit, about when u will release the next beta! I know u've worked really hard and it shows. That's why everyone who plays this, loves this! Perhaps you have many plans, but please just a bit hint about timing of the next beta. I so want to play further more, now that i've played till here :D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 20, 2015
and, 1. Would Ho-oh be obtainable in the same way in next beta/final version? and in next beta would there be changes in the 'way' the gameline/special,legendary pokemons/events has progressed till granold city (as in 4.1) ?

2. Just a minor thing but prof. Joke says chikorita while we receive totodile.

3. do you feel like adding some more varities of opponent teams at battle simulators at pokemon centres? If yes, please do esp in the pro and supreme level :D

4. Levelling up magikarp for that sidequest was such a pain in my :P

5. would levelling up/training well 3 main/frontline pokemons in my team be fine for the later stages of game? Or is it must to have 6 strong ones? Say would it be okay if i train my espeon, dragonite and venusaur and i would eventually have ho-oh in my team?- I mean for the next beta/ final stages of games.

6. would there be a move re-learner at some point in the game? (i.e. Someone who can teach pokemons the moves which they had at earlier levels?). If yes, then in which city?

7. could you make venusaur learn petal dance at some level like 50-55? would be an amazing stuff! It's got a flower on its back too ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
Game crashes when Jokes aide tells you to leave, game resets with glitched pallette when you arrive to pick one out.

miksy91

Years
and, 1. Would Ho-oh be obtainable in the same way in next beta/final version? and in next beta would there be changes in the 'way' the gameline/special,legendary pokemons/events has progressed till granold city (as in 4.1) ?

2. Just a minor thing but prof. Joke says chikorita while we receive totodile.

3. do you feel like adding some more varities of opponent teams at battle simulators at pokemon centres? If yes, please do esp in the pro and supreme level :D

4. Levelling up magikarp for that sidequest was such a pain in my :P

5. would levelling up/training well 3 main/frontline pokemons in my team be fine for the later stages of game? Or is it must to have 6 strong ones? Say would it be okay if i train my espeon, dragonite and venusaur and i would eventually have ho-oh in my team?- I mean for the next beta/ final stages of games.

6. would there be a move re-learner at some point in the game? (i.e. Someone who can teach pokemons the moves which they had at earlier levels?). If yes, then in which city?

7. could you make venusaur learn petal dance at some level like 50-55? would be an amazing stuff! It's got a flower on its back too ;)
1. I don't think I'll make much changes to the things I have implemented so far. So no.

2. That's intentional. The other guy picks up Chikorita and Prof. Joke isn't that smart so he thought you picked that up. Also another thing that comes to this is that by him saying that, you may realize that the other guy got Chikorita before you battle him.
Anyway, the implementation here probably doesn't work out that well.

3. I could add more simulations to the Battle Sim. Might do that sometime or not. As of now, 5 different opponents for each mode works pretty well.

4. I know :P :) But we've got Exp. Share so it's not "that" bad.

5. Having 3 strong pokemon is probably enough but not any less. More than 3 good is better though (since you have to break that team of 6 into three groups of 2 pokemon sometime later).

6. This may be possible - I'm not sure. Sure, it can be done but I would have to find a way to make use of the original in-game code that makes pokemon learn moves at the end of battles and make it call that routine within a script in a case where your pokemon is first at level 0 and then learn all the moves it learns up to the level it is now. This could turn out difficult to implement well. But probably not is a pretty good answer here actually. I might implement this but most likely not.

7. I don't remember if Petal Dance is a TM move in the game. If it is, it could learn Petal Dance that way. If not, I most likely won't make this edit because editing base stats and moves that pokemon learn makes the game function in a different way from the original version and it shouldn't be changed much unless if I re-did everything instead (added a totally new set of pokemon or such). I think that others would just find it confusing, "Why does Venusaur learn Petal Dance because it shouldn't?".
If you want your Venusaur to know that move, you can edit it in the game through Memory Viewer (tool built-in VBA).

Game crashes when Jokes aide tells you to leave, game resets with glitched pallette when you arrive to pick one out.
I just checked the script that applies that functionality (aide talking to you and making you to walk out of the room) and there is nothing "special" there that might make the game to crash. I don't really know why this is happening to you - it shouldn't.

if you say no to the gate in greenwood it crashes
You aren't asked anything in either one of the two gates in Greenwood.
What did you mean?

Back