• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV About Batman Shows/Movies

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, I'm kinda a avid liker of some of the Batman shows - mostly I've seen some of the cartoon shows, and a couple of movies here and there. But let's talk about your favourites! Which Batman series did you like seeing? Which Batman films did you like watching? Which ones did you not care for?

SPGouhV.gif

Not counting the Justice League stuff, the shows that I've watched are:

Batman: The Animated Series (1992–1995)
    Batman Beyond (1999–2002)
    The Batman (2004–08)
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2008–11)
    Beware the Batman (2013–14)
    Gotham (2014–2019)

And the films I saw:
    Batman Returns (1992)
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
    Batman Forever (1995)
    Batman & Robin (1997)
    Batman Begins (2005)
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

And some team ups like:

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2019)
    Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i'm not a superhero cartoon person nor have i seen any of the 90s batman movies. nolan trilogy is good though i can't help but feel they're a little overhyped, and i also actually like batfleck... but also i am insanely excited for hot eyeshadow-wearing robert pattinson batman

pkmin3033

I have seen a lot of Batman media...probably more than I should have, haha. I've seen pretty much all of the 90s stuff, all of the cartoons except for Beware the Batman, and a lot of the animated films, too. Of everything I've seen, I think I liked Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond (including the movie, at least once I saw the original version) and the first two seasons of The Batman the most. Gotham was very much a mixed bag in that it has the best portrayal of some of the villains I've ever seen - Penguin and The Riddler especially - but it severely led down by its terrible final season and absolutely awful portrayal of the Joker, which stings more than it should because they were getting things right with Jerome as it was. I actually kinda liked Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well for some reason

Oh, also the LEGO Batman movie. That was just hilarious. It was 60s Batman modernised for current generation kids, with some amazing easter eggs for older fans. It also started with a fantastic musical number.

About all I didn't enjoy in some form were Nolan's films. I will never understand why people glorify Nolan's trilogy so much - it's very much like the MCU in that it doesn't really capture the spirit of the characters or the comics. Even the cheesy 90s movies did a better job, because one of Batman's defining character traits is that he's a detective, and there...isn't really much of that in Nolan's trilogy. Nolan's Batman is a capable inventor, but otherwise he's a mindless brawler - he's not a detective, or a scientist, or even a strategic thinker. There's a lack of intelligence in Nolan's Batman that really doesn't sit right with me. I feel like much of the hype surrounding Nolan's trilogy comes from how the 90s Batman movies often followed more in the spirit of the 60s TV show and the Dick Sprang comics (which gave us things like this) rather than the darker side of Batman, which up to that point hadn't really been shown outside of the TV series. The gritty realism is nice, but it comes at the expense of too much else in my opinion.

Oh, and there was The Killing Joke, too. That is one of the worst comic book adaptations I have ever seen - bringing in Mark Hamill for the Joker's voice isn't going to hide the fact that they pad it out with pointless nonsense (including Batman and Batgirl making out on the roof for some reason?!) for about an hour longer than they should and it completely misses the point of WHY that comic is considered so iconic. Even Batman Ninja was better, and that film was...so bad it was good, hahaha.

I'm still waiting for someone get the Joker right in live action, too. Honestly I've not seen live action media try and fail to get comics right this badly outside of the Dark Phoenix Saga in X-Men...which they really, REALLY need to leave alone. Whilst the Joker is Batman's most iconic villain, if they can't get the presentation right - which they definitely can't - they really need to leave him alone and focus on someone else. One of Batman's biggest draws is his ridiculously huge gallery of colourful and interesting villains so it's not like they're stuck for choice.

I don't have any particularly strong feelings for or against Robert Pattison playing Batman. I hold out very little hope his movie will be any good simply because DC are failing hard with their live action movies and I doubt this will be any different.

User Anon 1848

I've only dabbled in a few of the comics but I've watched Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, the Nolan trilogy and Joker. I've played the Arkham games too which were very story-driven. I'd say The Animated Series is still my favorite version of Batman. Even now as an adult I can go back and watch it which I can't say for many non-Japanese cartoons. It gave birth to the character of Harley Quinn and fleshed out Two-Face and Mr. Freeze who were two dimensional gimmick villains beforehand. I'm still yet to see a portrayal of Two-Face as good as the one from that show. It was arguably ahead of its time when it came to showcasing the struggles of mental illness and the effect it has on those close to you, at least in cartoon form. Shirley Walker's music was a big part of the show's success too. She knew how to set the tone for every moment and character.

Batman Beyond was a very cool concept. I found most of Terry's rogue's gallery to be kind of bland but I can respect the writers for not relying on too many of Bruce's old enemies or their sons as antagonists for a new generation. I hope we get a Batman Beyond game similar to the Arkham series one day. The concept and character design of Batman Beyond is too cool to leave in the dust forever.

The Dark Knight used to be my favorite movie and probably still is one of them but I've burnt myself out from rewatching it too much.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Nothing will ever beat Batman the Animated Series. Mark Hamill for the Joker is one of the best VS choices I've ever seen and Harley's backstory is just mwah *chefs kiss*.

Edit: Duh, and obviously the comics too. Identity Crisis and Court of Owls is one of my favorite Batman prints ever!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i'm not a superhero cartoon person nor have i seen any of the 90s batman movies. nolan trilogy is good though i can't help but feel they're a little overhyped, and i also actually like batfleck... but also i am insanely excited for hot eyeshadow-wearing robert pattinson batman
    ahdjfkglg

this is a thing? i was impressed with him in Tenet; now he will become das bat?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ohh interesting. With the Riddler as the villain? Is this set in the Joker universe?

Incidentally, I re-watched Batman Begins yesterday. It is a really well made film and I'm gonna watch Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises soon as well. I don't usually like Batman much, so I think the Nolan trilogy will remain my favs. Unless Pattinson happens to be utterly amazing perhaps.

Back