• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    God I remember getting Nier and starting it up semi-blind, only playing it cuz I heard it was pretty good and it was like £10, and the first thing I hear is something along the lines of

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BITCH BOOK"

And I'm like well ok then that's a good start

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • Modern Warfare 3 - 2 vs 2 Team!

Hey! I was wondering if anyone wanted to play some 2 vs 2 on MW3! I have an xbox360.

Gamertag: TheRealOCD

Years
  • ^ That's not even mentioning how absolutely gorgeous the game is, both in graphics and music, so it's worth trying out even just to experience that part of it.

I realized at one point that one of the boss themes from CoL absolutely gave me chills down my spine the moment it started up. Video game music never does that to me, so it was quite a pleasant surprise.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I can't rightly say how often I've contemplated getting CoL. I'm put it in my buy basket sooo many times and then removed it, it's actually unreal. I guess I've been clinging to the faint hope that it'll come to PS+ some day. :(

VG music though! Maaaan, I could talk for days about some scores. Granted, what I love others would probably slate. This one in particular is a biiiig fave of mine.

pkmin3033

Child of Light is on my to-do list...I'll get to it *eventually* but I just have such a huge backlog to clear right now, aha.

As for video games OSTs...I find the soundtrack to be more important than anything else a lot of the time! If it has a good soundtrack, the chances are that everything else about it is good as well, since it seems to be the one aspect most people consider to be the least important. I've bought games based solely on their OST before, and I've never been disappointed in any of the ones I've acquired based on their soundtrack~

Years
  • Child of Light is on my to-do list...I'll get to it *eventually* but I just have such a huge backlog to clear right now, aha.

On the bright side, Child of Light should only take about 10 hours to complete. So you could always take a break from your backlog and play it, hehe.

TY

I don't often mind video game OST's, but I don't mute them when playing through the story, cause usually that's when the OST gets at it's best imo. Metal Gear Rising for instance has a amazing soundtrack. But with a game like StarCraft the OST becomes less important as I get to the multiplayer stages. I don't buy games soley on the OST though, I have some games where the OST is meh, but I still like them.

Years

• On the bright side, Child of Light should only take about 10 hours to complete. So you could always take a break from your backlog and play it, hehe.
    That was probably the only thing I didn't like about it. I just wish it was even a little bit longer. :( The end of it actually snuck up on me a little bit, I realized I was at the final boss already only because I finally caught on that the battle music was different lol...

@ OSTs, I don't know if I would consider them the biggest part of a game, although I'm definitely going to like the game with the memorable score more than the game with just generic background music #30 or whatever. Well, assuming the rest of said game isn't really bad. But then again, if a game is good in other ways, I can often forgive a mediocre soundtrack. :P

Years
  • That was probably the only thing I didn't like about it. I just wish it was even a little bit longer. :( The end of it actually snuck up on me a little bit, I realized I was at the final boss already only because I finally caught on that the battle music was different lol...

It definitely had the potential to be made into a full-game. The battle system was interesting, graphics were colourful, a great difference to the usual Ubisoft games that was a pleasant surprise.

Years
  • I JUST BEAT CHILD OF LIGHT AND I LOVED IT

Robert is also the best character (and the most stupidly powerful character next to maybe Óengus) in the whole game.

that is all

Hop on to the bandwagon c: All this talk about Child of Light makes me want to replay the game multiple times over.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years

• It definitely had the potential to be made into a full-game. The battle system was interesting, graphics were colourful, a great difference to the usual Ubisoft games that was a pleasant surprise.
    If it was a full game, it would be harder to make a sequel for it :)

That was probably the only thing I didn't like about it. I just wish it was even a little bit longer. :( The end of it actually snuck up on me a little bit, I realized I was at the final boss already only because I finally caught on that the battle music was different lol...
    On the other hand, it's because it was so short you are left with so many feels =D

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Child of Light is on my to-do list...I'll get to it *eventually* but I just have such a huge backlog to clear right now, aha.

Same here.

Child of Light looks really good, and its icon is sitting on my desktop and staring me down every day... along with the rest of the "important" games in my backlog. Though calling it that is starting to make it sound like work. lol

I just got Rune Factory 4 in yesterday and after dumping 4 hours into it last night, I was gonna put everything else on hold for that, it's just so cute... but all this talk about CoL is making me wanna try that now instead, and if it is only 10~ hours... :P

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Child of Light looks really good, and its icon is sitting on my desktop and staring me down every day... along with the rest of the "important" games in my backlog.
    Sounds like me and Bastion. I've had that game installed to play for at least a year or two and I have just never gotten around to it. I really should add it to my to-play schedule sometime soon since everyone says it's fantastic.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Neptunia is a RPG series about female personifications of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and the Sega Neptune, in a world called Gamindustri as they compete against one another. It's essentially huge parody that prides itself in character interactions and jokes about the gaming industry; some of the jabs are skewed to more slightly to the Japanese side. Just think of it as the "console wars" with cute girls and such, I guess. Later games in the series put a less emphasis on the "console war" aspect though.

A lot of the misconception that you have an idea about this series is that there are a couple of spin-off games, one of which is an idol simulator - which is the reason why you heard that it's musical. A hack-and-slash spin-off is coming out in the next month, so that might account for the fighting? At it's core, the Neptunia series is RPG-centric though.

pkmin3033

Okay so, another question: where should I begin? Do any of the hyperdimension neptunia games intertwine with each other, if that makes sense? There's obviously the original and mk2 which I assume to be the second one, and I assume Victory is just a spin-off, but what about the re;birth series? is that also a continuation from mk2, or a spinoff series altogether?
    The Re;Birth series are remakes of the PS3 games, and if you're looking to get into the series I'd recommend starting with those - the dialogue has been toned down slightly, but the gameplay is significantly better, as they all use Victory's battle system with some improvements. Especially in the case of Re;Birth 1, as the original Neptunia was a complete mess in the gameplay department and it really benefits from the changes. You can pick up the games at any point, as they're fairly self-contained stories, although starting with Re;Birth 1 makes sense~

Spinoffs are Hyperdimension Neptunia PP, which is an idol simulation game I'd recommend avoiding like the plague until you're familiar with the cast, and Hyperdevotion Noire, which is a turn-based strategy RPG similar to Disgaea that you can pick up whenever you feel like it; other than the characters it doesn't really share anything with the main titles. Hyperdimension Neptunia: Action Unleashed will be out next month, and that's a hack-and-slash title which I'm guessing will be unrelated to the main series as well.

pkmin3033

I'd recommend checking out the following...for PS3. If you want Vita recommendations as well, just say and I'll give you another textwall, as there are substantially more titles I'd recommend for it, aha :3

For turn-based battles and a change of pace, you might want to try the Atelier series. There is less of an emphasis on battles in some games than others (I'd say Meruru, Escha & Logy and Shallie are the most battle-oriented titles) but they're pretty by-the-books in terms of battles and come with a delightfully easy to learn but difficult to master alchemy system. The time limit might be off-putting though, as well as the generally relaxed atmosphere. There are not RPGs about saving the world, they're mostly about people just trying to get by in the world. You get a truly fantastic cast as a result though.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is worth trying out if you're interested in the Tales series; it's battle system is substantially better in that it allows easy full 360-degree movement and places a little more emphasis on tactics, since you can't use too many artes to just bully your way through the game. The cast offers a far wider variety of play styles too, and I'd say it's slightly longer than your average Tales game. Although if you're after trophies you need to avoid it like the plague, it's notoriously difficult (read: damn near impossible) to platinum it.

I'd recommend Resonance of Fate if you're looking for something different. It's...semi-turn based, shall we say? In that you can potentially avoid enemies getting a turn entirely if you're good enough. The problem is getting good enough: it's absolutely brutal. The gameplay is similar to Eternal Sonata, Neptunia Mk.II/Victory and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria in that you move about on the battlefield for a set amount of time before selecting your attacks, although there is less of a focus on combo attacks and more on plotting your moves carefully. It has an unique steampunk setting and a nice sense of camaraderie between the three main characters, so it might appeal to you :3

If you weren't too keen on Disgaea I'd be hesitant to recommend The Guided Fate Paradox, but I have to give it a mention anyway, because it's a fantastically brutal rogue-like with a unique story and a fantastic soundtrack. It boasts Disgaea's insane level of grinding and stats, but has a slightly more serious plot (but only slightly; it's quite a bit like Disgaea 4 in this regard) and, whilst it's hard to get into, it's rewarding. I've heard the sequel, The Awakened Fate Ultimatum, is a lot easier, although I've not had a chance to play that yet. Busy busy.

Fairy Fencer F is another one you might want to consider if Neptunia looks appealing to you, it's made by the same team and has the same battle system, but is more of a traditional JRPG rather than a parody. It's quite a short game if you don't platinum it, and it's woefully easy, but it's quite a lot of fun nonetheless.

There are more. I'm forgetting something...but it's very early in the morning and I'm drawing from a sleep-deprived memory. xD

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Years
  • So, I found this place. I guess it's the daily chat for the VG forum. I was actually looking to talk to some experienced PC gamers over here so that I could get great suggestions to play. I do not want to disrupt the current topic but I couldn't find any Sticky where they gave out platform specific recommendations so I ended up here.. Am I at the right place?

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    good time to get into Star Ocean since Star Ocean 5 is on the way! Never played the games myself but I might give 5 a shot when it comes out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back