• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Feedback Request: Promises I'll make if I were a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I've been thinking about this for a while. I've always wanted to become a moderator, and I'll probably sign up when they open up applications. I'm not going to beg a moderator or administrator to make me one. I'm just going to wait until the signups are open.

I have fifteen comments about being a moderator, five reasons why I feel like a good fit, five difficulties of becoming one, and five promises I will make if I do become moderator.

Reasons why I would make a good mod:

I follow the rules and know what's right and what's wrong - as I use the forums, I appeal to the rules and know what to do and what not to do. However, this took me a while to develop. Back when I was on TV.com, I was not a good member. I constantly went off-topic or contributed to the off-topic posting. Not only that, but I was rude, have broken other rules, and became abusive when I set my rules. I was even banned. Four years later, I joined another forum, Little Big Planet Central. Again, I was going off topic. However, instead of just giving me too many profile warnings that would count against me, the site staff tried to be nice to me and told me several times that off-topic posting was bad. I've been learning more about following the rules. If it wasn't for their helpful advice rather than quick punishments, I wouldn't be a good user. Two years later, I joined Pokecommunity. After learning so much about following the rules, I have been avoiding warnings. Very little I went off-topic here. If I got infractions, I would learn from my mistakes and swear not to break the rules again, unlike on TV.com where I continued to break the rules even after multiple warnings. And if anyone is breaking the rules on Pokecommunity, I report it, not caring about who did it. I try not to leave violations unreported.

I am very active on this site - although there were a few days where I did not make a single post, I have logged on every day since I joined Pokecommunity. I contribute to discussions, sometimes being helpful and interesting while voicing my opinion.

I have became more mature and responsible - another thing that took a while to develop. Despite those few times I gotten childish, I am overall more mature than immature. Back on TV.com, when I became editor for the Chowder guide (which had moderator like privileges), I was very bossy and had other social problems. That, and I broke the rules, even when I was an editor. At age 15, I would not make a good mod. Nowadays, I'm not as bossy or corrupt as I used to be. If I can continue achiving maturity and responsibility, I can become a mod. Yeah, I was actually bad when I was on TV.com, but those days are over. I have learned from my mistakes, and I have turned into something very different.

I have became helpful and full of knowledge - as I learn from other members and posts about the site's past and present, I have a lot of intelligence on this site. For example, I knew when the Pokecommunity craze began. I also answered many questions on the Quick Questions & Answers / "Where do I post this?" and other threads on the Community Questions & Feedback. Being a mod not only requires maturity and responsibility, but should be helpful without being bossy.

I have learned enough advice on moderatorship - despite having many character flaws, I do have the heart of becoming a moderator. I know what to do when I see the rules being violated, and when new people join the site, I can give them some advice. Plus, I respond to notifications very quickly.

Barriers to becoming a mod:

Although I do have the heart of becoming a moderator, there are a few qualities that would make me go nowhere on the site staff. And if I keep it up, I'll still be a normal member or even a banned member.

I have four infractions on my profile - even I have broken the rules before. Three of them are just warnings, but one of them was an actual infraction. Although I try hard to follow the rules, I have messed up on this site too. Offensive content, copyright issues, flaming, censor bypassing, and now off-topic posting, I can go a whole year or two without doing any of that (I can go 50 years without posting offensive content or copyrighted content). Even so, I still have broken the rules. Even if I got just four infractions, I got involved in a few arguments. This was just a bad month for me.

I have been defensive and biased - I'm not sure if this will ever continue once I become a mod, but you can see my past activity of being defensive. Yeah, I hate it when I get a negative reputation, especially over something that's not true, but by arguing and being defensive, that makes me just as guilty. As for the bias, I did have a strong political ego and conservative bias. I can be okay being biased when it comes to politics, but I shouldn't express it. I am unbiased about behavior though, and I am willingly to listen to both sides of the story.
I have been rude before - yes, even if I try to encourage other members to not act childish or be rude, I have been rude before, but haven't we all been rude. I did criticize some art of my character, call Pokecommunity's moderation system "weak", and brought up grudges. Even if I admitted taking them back, I still admit being rude.

I may not be the best fit - along with the three reasons above, there are other members that seem moderator worthy, and better than me (even when I have moderation advice). I'd still cheer for them to become staff members, but I want to become a member too. In addition, I'm not a good artist, and I can draw Jigglypuff much worse than almost all of you can. I focus too much on symmetry, straight lines, and grid templates.

My parents don't approve - this is the strongest reason why I shouldn't be mod. Even at age 22, I'm under guardianship. My mom knows me and knew what I did back on TV.com. Some things she worries about is when I take the rules too seriously, when I can't accept sarcasm, and how mods in general stay on site almost all day. If I can learn from my errors, I can try not to go overboard or stay on site all day.

From wherever I did wrong, I am sorry for doing this. I'm normally not this kind of person, but I sometimes act childish when I'm having a bad day on the site.

Promises about becoming a mod:
If I can become a moderator, here are the things I can promise:

To not abuse my moderator privileges - even for fun. If I have to give out warnings, I can only do this for violations. I will never warn people for not agreeing with me or just simply hates the site staff.

To not engage in scandals - this includes repeating my previous bad behaviors I had on this site. This is not just a promise I will keep if becoming a mod, but to also for becoming a celebrity, manager, or official (real life stuff).

To come up with creative ideas for events.

To be helpful and to deal with problems on the site.

Above all, I will promise to reset the counter on "Quick, before the mods come" once in a while.

I am good at keeping my promises in general. I do have bad days though, but this isn't my personality. It's just natural. I am sweet, and don't pick fights at all.

Years
As TF mentioned, the mods here are picked via a secret voting done in the HQ Forums. Most of the stuff they consider is one's activity in a certain area, promoting said activity among fellow members who also visit the section, and also if the section is in need of one.

I can easily see your problems, because I'm sorta facing the same issue as you in that I'd never be considered because I had been quite iffy with opinions yet really active at the same time. I have even felt jealous a lot and that's fine but I'm sure something will come calling you when that time comes even if you don't know when that time will be. I once even thought getting infractions lowered one's chances of joining staff but as I learned that rumour was debunked because some staff here actually sometimes broke rules in the past even if unintentionally. It's just that you have to wait until a section you're active in is in need of one, in the event if the previous mod moves on such as graduation to higher staff or retiring.

And hey, you can still lend the mod a hand every now and then by reporting rule-breaking posts and stuff because they don't catch every little thing all the time so to have that system is a way to help you catch what they missed.

I have my bad moments just like you do and while I'm mostly doing my best to have fun and go with the flow there have been times where I have been not-so-joyful. Lately I had been involved in some bad arguments and it caused me to suffer self-doubt as of late. You can make your way to staff one day, it's just that you have to wait for the lucky moment to strike.

Last edited:

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
As TF mentioned, the mods here are picked via a secret voting done in the HQ Forums. Most of the stuff they consider is one's activity in a certain area, promoting said activity among fellow members who also visit the section, and also if the section is in need of one.

I can easily see your problems, because I'm sorta facing the same issue as you in that I'd never be considered because I had been quite iffy with opinions yet really active at the same time. I have even felt jealous a lot and that's fine but I'm sure something will come calling you when that time comes even if you don't know when that time will be. I once even thought getting infractions lowered one's chances of joining staff but as I learned that rumour was debunked because some staff here actually sometimes broke rules in the past even if unintentionally. It's just that you have to wait until a section you're active in is in need of one, in the event if the previous mod moves on such as graduation to higher staff or retiring.

And hey, you can still lend the mod a hand every now and then by reporting rule-breaking posts and stuff because they don't catch every little thing all the time so to have that system is a way to help you catch what they missed.

I have my bad moments just like you do and while I'm mostly doing my best to have fun and go with the flow there have been times where I have been not-so-joyful. Lately I had been involved in some bad arguments and it caused me to suffer self-doubt as of late. You can make your way to staff one day, it's just that you have to wait for the lucky moment to strike.

Thank you for your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back