• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rocket Game Corner prizes

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • In the spirit of Team Rocket Takeover, recall Team Rocket's "Legitimate" Game Corner in Celadon City and the "prizes" available next door. Within you'll notice three Windows or boxes that a player can access. In Generation 2, it's been reduced to two but each window is different depending upon the version you play. Note that Pocket Monsters is the Japanese version while simply Pokemon is English. Although I have this thread labled as Generation 1, this legitimately applies to Generations 1-4 thanks to remakes...

In Left Window you'll find the following:

Spoiler:

In Middle Window you'll find the following:

Spoiler:

In Right Window you'll find the following:

Spoiler:

Being that I've played Yellow for years, its the only place where I can acquire my favorite Pokemon in Vulpix. As such I purposely train her after liberating her from Team Rocket so that she can return and obtain some manner of vengeance and justice for her imprisonment. Everything else is a luxury as I see it and although Porygon is costly, I can get it via Ditto Glitch(other generations aren't so lucky).

Now having divulged my prize targets, what are yours? Do you even take the time to bother grinding out coins or do you simply spend your bountiful cash to Team Rocket for the coins you'll need? Discuss!

Years
  • I've often bought the TMs, and Game Corner exclusive Pokemon at the Game Corner. I don't play the machines to build up the cash though, I'm not sure if I'm unlucky or if it really does take absolutely ages, so I buy the coins with money instead, often needing to beat the Elite Four several times to save the cash.

Psychic being re-purchasable there in Gen 2 was a great thing, giving players access to a re-obtainable Psychic TM in Gen 2, and Gen 1 assuming you can trade.

I've often wondered why the Game Corner is still open for business after Team Rocket is defeated in both RBY and GSC.

Did the place get passed on to another organisation, like Silph Co, after Team Rocket's defeat?

We know that Team Rocket carried on after Geovanni quit at the end of RBY, so maybe what was left of Team Rocket carried on running the Game Corner?

Maybe Team Rocket never truly owned the Game Corner at all, and had just taken it over when they established a base there in RBY?

Or maybe I'm over-thinking it, and Game Freak just didn't wan't to take the Game Corner out after Team Rocket's defeat xD. Which I guess is good, since we'd lose access to the prizes you can buy there.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pretty much every time I play through Kanto, I spend few minutes in there. Mostly for the TMs. Shadow Ball, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt are all great in these games.

I don't remember purchasing Pokémon with coins recently. I know I got Porygon way back during my first playthrough of Yellow, but that's it.

I've never been in Game Corner in GSC or HGSS as it's pretty late in the games.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I pretty much always buy TMs, namely Shadow Ball and Ice Beam. I've bought Pokémon on a few occasions, but not very often.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Pretty much every time I play through Kanto, I spend few minutes in there. Mostly for the TMs. Shadow Ball, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt are all great in these games.

I don't remember purchasing Pokémon with coins recently. I know I got Porygon way back during my first playthrough of Yellow, but that's it.

I've never been in Game Corner in GSC or HGSS as it's pretty late in the games.

Yeah if I played FireRed or LeafGreen, I'd probably grind for the TM's too. You never got Vulpix in Yellow despite it being relatively cheap(and a really good Generation 1 Fire Type? Gen 2 onward it's not as strong. If it was, it'd be 525 Base Stats as opposed to its current 505).

I pretty much always buy TMs, namely Shadow Ball and Ice Beam. I've bought Pokémon on a few occasions, but not very often.

Which Pokémon? Eevee one of them or was it Porygon?

Years
  • Yeah if I played FireRed or LeafGreen, I'd probably grind for the TM's too. You never got Vulpix in Yellow despite it being relatively cheap(and a really good Generation 1 Fire Type? Gen 2 onward it's not as strong. If it was, it'd be 525 Base Stats as opposed to its current 505)

I've used pretty boring team in Yellow. I remember trying to complete the dex as much as I could - that's why I grinded for Porygon, but then I've switched to Silver and Crystal and never returned to that save on Yellow.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've used pretty boring team in Yellow. I remember trying to complete the dex as much as I could - that's why I grinded for Porygon, but then I've switched to Silver and Crystal and never returned to that save on Yellow.

Thing about Yellow version is that the Ditto glitch saves you so much trouble having to get coins for Porygon or any Safari Zone Pokemon for that matter. It's annoying enough trying to get Chansey or some of the harder to acquire Pokémon since they love to flee but with Ditto glitch there is no risk of that. Now Vulpix was a cheap and easy one to obtain but for the rest, I often utilize Ditto glitch to get them. Hard part is getting a Pokemon with the appropriate Special stat.

On Gold/Silver though... I can see going all out for some TM's and Eevee(multiple Eevolutions available).

Back