• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ninty site got redirected elsewhere...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • These months, I have some problems when visiting a certain site. For some reason, when I visited main US Nintendo site, it redirects me to something completely odd. My first case was in about a month ago when it redirects me to GitLab, and the most recent case is when it's redirected to Alcatraz resort. In both cases, it still keeps the address bar as if it's Nintendo's.

And I decided to check on my phone to see if the problem persists there since initially I thought Ninty site was hacked, but it's not the case here, which makes me suspicious on my laptop rn. What should I do about this?

Last edited:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • Ok so I'm no technician or something like that but the first thing that comes to mind to me is to check Windows' host file which is located in the folder: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
    Check if there are some lines that do not start with "#" and if there are you should post the contents of the file here in a spoiler.

That's my idea, if anyone has a better one, he's welcome. haha

Starry Windy

Years
  • I have checked the hosts file, and it has nothing suspicious in it so far. Nothing unchanged after the last time I edited it to prevent forced Windows 10 updates from back then. Meanwhile, I checked that there's one infected file as I'm using full scan in my antivirus rn, but I'm not sure if it's linked to those redirects or not.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • Meanwhile, I checked that there's one infected file as I'm using full scan in my antivirus rn, but I'm not sure if it's linked to those redirects or not.

Depends on what kind of infection it is, but I also think that probably it has nothing to do with the redirects. What virus is the antivirus detecting?

Starry Windy

Years
  • That 'virus' turns out to be some sort of false positive regarding an app that was installed from a long time ago, so I think it's not related to the redirect and all.

Starry Windy

Years
  • I have tried Firefox and Chrome, the latter is in incognito mode (which means no add-ons are active), but the problem still persists. And as for the plugins, I have OpenH264 codec 1.6, Primetime Content Decryption from Adobe 17, Shockwave Flash 26.0.0.126, Widevine Content Decryption from Google 1.4.8.903, and Silverlight 5.1.41212.0 (as described by Firefox itself).

Also, I have posted one of my most recent redirect in the attachment.

Attachments

• ninty-hacked-or-malware.png
      ninty-hacked-or-malware.png
      29.7 KB · Views: 14
    • ninty-alcatraz-tour.png
      ninty-alcatraz-tour.png
      175.2 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

Starry Windy

Years
  • Well, I have scanned using both antivirus and anti-malware, and it says nothing, except for false alarm described earlier in the thread. Then I thought to use the laptop I didn't use for so long. So I did, but the browser also shows the same Alcatraz thingy, so it turns out both of my laptops are not infected by viruses, after all. So I have no idea what has caused this for now.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Are you able to use a VPN tunnel to see if the same thing is happening?

Also, could you ping nintendo.com and show us your results of that as well, without a VPN connection?

Starry Windy

Years
  • I'm just connecting the way I usually do, and I have no idea how to use VPN either... But then, I did try to ping, and here's the results.

Spoiler: Ping test
    Code:
    Pinging nintendo.com [54.149.163.48] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 54.149.163.48:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Well, I have scanned using both antivirus and anti-malware, and it says nothing, except for false alarm described earlier in the thread. Then I thought to use the laptop I didn't use for so long. So I did, but the browser also shows the same Alcatraz thingy, so it turns out both of my laptops are not infected by viruses, after all. So I have no idea what has caused this for now.
    If you're using wireless router, reset it because sounds like it's infected or hacked.

Starry Windy

Years
  • EDIT: I guess I gotta check if my router has a problem or not. The site works fine when I'm using mobile hotspot, apparently.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Years
  • As for today, I'm trying to edit the host file atm, using the IP that I got when I ping using my mobile hotspot (205.166.76.26). So far it's working and not redirecting me to any other sites as for now.

Years
  • You shouldn't have to use a mobile hotspot just to access one site. Not only is it an inconvenience, but it also kinda rules out whether or not it's something happening on your home network or a routing issue with your ISP.

Starry Windy

Years
  • Well, it's the temporary solution for me to connect to Ninty site via my usual Wi-Fi (and not via mobile hotspot) until I contact the ISP/network about this.

Last edited:
    Back