• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kalos League Speculation Thread

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
  • lol, Ash must be the only main character that will never win because of plot armor. Admittedly, I'm not too salty about it since I don't follow the show regularly, but I still don't like how it ended. For story resolution though, he'll probably win if he gets a rematch against Alain. >_>

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Me, personally, I'd rank them by the following:

1. Sinnoh
    2. Kalos
    3. Johto
    Tie in fourth place: Unova and Hoenn.

I'm not counting Kanto here since let's be fair here, it was his first league.

I tied Hoenn with Unova regarding it being the worst because unlike the other leagues, Ash showed absolutely NO form of improvement during Hoenn. It may be slightly better than Unova since unlike the latter, he doesn't regress in rank, but it's not enough to warrant listing it as one of the better leagues.

As far as Johto, that was definitely one of the better leagues because of Ash actually beating his rival Gary in a fight, fair and square, and even though he lost against Harrison, it was somewhat justified because he was unfamiliar with Blaziken at the time. I was tempted to list Kalos as number one, but I instead listed it as number 2 mostly because, yes, Ash did better than in Sinnoh, but the reason he did so was utterly cheap. Ultimately, I had to go with Sinnoh being number 1 despite it arguably being cheap as well because at least Ash didn't lose to a guy the third time in a row during that time (and to be honest, I was irritated that, after all that foreshadowing that Ash would actually win the Sinnoh League, they had Ash lose all because they ran out of time before Black and White came out, which if they hadn't utterly wasted time with needless filler episodes for most of Sinnoh out of an arrogant belief that it would take a long time for Generation V to come out, we would have had Ash at least fight the Elite 4 if not beat them.

I measure whether a league is the best by whether Ash actually does better than before, and the only way to truly measure that is by his rankings in the league.

Years
  • What makes me even more salty about this is that we still haven't had a proper announcement for a Sun & Moon anime...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    What makes me even more salty about this is that we still haven't had a proper announcement for a Sun & Moon anime...

No kidding. At best, we've got an announcement for Movie 20 next year. And if the hints regarding there not being a Pokémon League at all in Sun and Moon are anything to go by (if anything, you're going to have to develop your own Pokémon League), that means, even if there was an official announcement, we can't even HOPE for Ash to challenge the Alola League because there IS NO ALOLA LEAGUE for him to challenge.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • HAHAHAHHAHA.

(more "uniformed post later.)")

Spoiler:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Meh I kinda didn't think he would win. Although I don't understand what happened and why they made him lose to Alain every time. Besides, he made it to the finals and he has never done that. I figured that he needed to get to the the Finals and lose before winning. As more not understand, it looked like Greninja just fainted like Ash did in his battles.

And now all attention turns to Team Flare and Alola. Which I wonder what they have planned for Ash since there are no gyms in Alola.

Once more, that confirms that that leaked list was fake.

As for Leagues from best to least:
    Johto
    Kalos
    Sinnoh
    Hoenn
    Unova
    Kanto

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    For ages , I have been claiming that the current writer favor their creation over Ash since he is Takeshi Shodu's creation .
    Yet people claimed to be crazy !
    What About now ? There was no reason for Alain to win Just they just did it anyway all because he is their creation.
    There is no point of next series since Alola is nothing but another Orange League! Plus Chicken Tomioka will create another piss of shit like Alain or Trip that will get free Z-ring ,Mega ring, Pseudo-legendary or Mystical pokemon and beat E4 member while Ash will just struggle and lose to him .

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Ugh.. I've been keeping tabs on the anime for a while and I was honestly hoping they'd stop this crap and let him win. But nope! They give him this super special Pokemon with synchronization powers and give him a full team with good Pokemon and he STILL can't win because the writers and higher ups can't handle him winning.

This is why I can't get involved in the anime. I'd really like to get involved in it, as I like Pokemon and I like anime. But it's pointless because Ash always fails to win and gets reset to factory settings at the start of a new series. Even now that's what's going to happen to him; he's eventually going to lose everyone minus Pikachu and one lucky straggler when he leaves for Alola. Everything he's done so far is meaningless, and he's caught in a cycle of losing battles and losing friends. It's like he's in some cosmic horror story where he's driven to keep traveling and living a futile existence for all eternity, wandering along in the aether as he meets and loses all his friends and Pokemon minus the one Pikachu, who is doomed to the same ultimate fate.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • A more uniformed post from earlier.

This is how I feel about Ash losing:

Salt-Shaker-232x300.jpg

...How I actually feel about Ash losing.

Spoiler:

Sigh.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    Man Ash lost, I'm so disappointed. So many reasons for Ash winning and we get this. A Trainer who had no interest in the League wins it, this is another slap in the face for Ash

I don't know what will happen next. I mean I know that Team Flare will make their move but will there another Ash vs. Alain battle were Ash wins this time? I don't know.

I will add my ranking of the Leagues here:

1. Sinnoh
    2. Johto
    3. Kanto
    4. Kalos
    5. Hoenn
    6. Unova

Sinnoh was the best League even though Ash lost the way he did. I loved all the battles and Ash used his Oaked Pokémon. Also Ash's team was awesome.

Johto is second because I loved Ash's battle agains Gary, and against Harrison it wasn't bad either. But the other battles weren't that interesting.

Kanto was Ash's first League and his opponents weren't that difficult but I liked the League (maybe because it was the first one).

Kalos is the first one in the ranking I didn't like. First one thing that the Leagues should show in my opinion is Ash's Oaked Pokémon or otherwise the battles are just any other ones. I mean for what does Ash want his Oaked Pokémon if he doesn't use them?
    Another reason I didn't like this League is because how rushed it was. They didn't showed Ash's complete progression. We saw he going to the finals, but did we see all his battles? No.

Hoenn was boring. The battles were boring, the rivals were boring, and Ash only used his Hoenn Pokémon.

And then Unova didn't had any special battles. Trip was a disappointment and the way Ash lost was ridiculous.

Years
  • So Ash lost. Sunrise, sunset. To this day I don't get why so many fans let themselves get caught up by League hype. It happens every time a League begins and people act as if Ash has a chance of winning, completely ignoring how the status quo will put a stop to that each time. It reminds me if the tired "Maybe Ash will leave the show at the end of this saga" theories that we get every 3-4 years from fans. :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    So Ash lost. Sunrise, sunset. To this day I don't get why so many fans let themselves get caught up by League hype. It happens every time a League begins and people act as if Ash has a chance of winning, completely ignoring how the status quo will put a stop to that each time. It reminds me if the tired "Maybe Ash will leave the show at the end of this saga" theories that we get every 3-4 years from fans. :/
    This time there were alot of reasons to believe that Ash wins.

Years
  • This time there were alot of reasons to believe that Ash wins.

Like what? Because for weeks we've known that after this episode we'd have to deal with Team Flare, and none of the Team Flare episode info scans or summaries even implied that Ash would win. If, according to some fans before the episode aired, Ash winning the League had such a big chance of occurring, I don't see why it wouldn't have been spoiled in advance when like 99.9% of future anime events are.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Is it really so bad to assume and hope that Ash would actually win a League for once? The only real reason he hasn't yet is because the writers and producers simply refuse to allow him to win; it's the reason he keeps getting knocked out like this. It shouldn't be wrong to expect him to win it all with several seasons of battling experience and a full team of good Pokemon under his belt, and if the writers were better and the show wasn't just one giant commercial for the latest Pokemon games with him and Pikachu being the main advertising tool he would have won seasons ago. Not to mention it's nearing the 20th anniversary for the anime, so if there was ever a chance he'd actually win it would be now wouldn't it? Eh just forgive me for being kinda aggravated I'm just tired of watching the Pokemon anime cycle reach yet another iteration.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Sad but eh. Charizard had more feats if you followed the Mega Evolution specials. Alain isn't some Tobias 2.0, he's proven himself to be a strong trainer.

Ash also relied on Greninja too much, this was evident when he chose Goodra (hadn't battled in ages) and Noivern (still a baby and has only won against Inkay and Doublade) for his team. Greninja would have to pick up the slack (and Pikachu, but everyone knows Pikachu puts on his plot armour whenever required). Besides...if Ash was going to win it would be when the anime ended and he would use all of his Pokemon, or at least his best from each region.

I guess you can say 'Oh, but the B/W writers wrote Ash vs Alain which is why he lost' to which you would be right (seriously go check), but Ash will always lose so long as Nintendo have games to promote. Pokemon anime is not an standalone anime, it's an advertisement. If the producers need Ash to lose to keep their advertisement ship sailing, then the writers will have to make it so (they're not going to risk their jobs against the higher ups regardless of what the fans want). If Ash won the league with this team and went to Alola, it makes no sense for him to drop off everyone bar Pikachu and possibly Greninja (if Rainbow Greninja is in Gen 7) at Oaks lab for Gen 7. Which would cut into screen time for the new Pokemon. The other option of course is to have a new protagonist in the Gen 7 anime. They've tried this already, not nearly as popular as Ash. So it makes more sense for Ash to travel into the next region.

Besides, Team Flare Arc looks amazing. I'm hyped for that, especially Lysandre vs Ash and possibly a rematch of Ash vs Alain if Alain works for Team Flare in this arc.

TLDR: I was sad, I'm ok now, producers to blame for Ash losing not writers, looking forward to Team Flare Arc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Sad but eh. Charizard had more feats if you followed the Mega Evolution specials. Alain isn't some Tobias 2.0, he's proven himself to be a strong trainer.

Ash also relied on Greninja too much, this was evident when he chose Goodra (hadn't battled in ages) and Noivern (still a baby and has only won against Inkay and Doublade) for his team. Greninja would have to pick up the slack (and Pikachu, but everyone knows Pikachu puts on his plot armour whenever required). Besides...if Ash was going to win it would be when the anime ended and he would use all of his Pokemon, or at least his best from each region.

I guess you can say 'Oh, but the B/W writers wrote Ash vs Alain which is why he lost' to which you would be right (seriously go check), but Ash will always lose so long as Nintendo have games to promote. Pokemon anime is not an standalone anime, it's an advertisement. If the producers need Ash to lose to keep their advertisement ship sailing, then the writers will have to make it so (they're not going to risk their jobs against the higher ups regardless of what the fans want). If Ash won the league with this team and went to Alola, it makes no sense for him to drop off everyone bar Pikachu and possibly Greninja (if Rainbow Greninja is in Gen 7) at Oaks lab for Gen 7. Which would cut into screen time for the new Pokemon. The other option of course is to have a new protagonist in the Gen 7 anime. They've tried this already, not nearly as popular as Ash. So it makes more sense for Ash to travel into the next region.

Besides, Team Flare Arc looks amazing. I'm hyped for that, especially Lysandre vs Ash and possibly a rematch of Ash vs Alain if Alain works for Team Flare in this arc.

TLDR: I was sad, I'm ok now, producers to blame for Ash losing not writers, looking forward to Team Flare Arc.

Yeah, but, Sun and Moon doesn't even HAVE gyms, let alone a Pokémon League, so it's not like they must end the show just by having him win one measly Pokémon League, and besides, he still needs to fight the Elite 4 and the Champion before he can come close to achieving his Pokémon Master goal and thus the end of the anime anyways, so no matter how you look at it, this loss was completely pointless. If anything, by having Ash actually WIN a league, they actually WON'T have to worry about whether Ash challenges Alola. Had it been me writing the series, I'd make sure Ash at the very least beats Alain, yet loses to an Elite 4 member, and then Ash will take a bit of a break with Alola and aid in the building of a new league like in the games.

Besides, did they end the show when Ash beat Drake in the Orange Islands? Technically, he beat a League there, yet they still had him go to Johto.

Years
  • Besides, did they end the show when Ash beat Drake in the Orange Islands? Technically, he beat a League there, yet they still had him go to Johto.

Technically, Orange Islands isn't a main region (aka region that appears in the games) and was created for the purpose of delaying the Johto saga until Gold & Silver's release so they let him win the league, due to not being a main league campaign.

Back