• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Capture/Evolution/ Release, etc. Thread

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Well... we're only on island#2 and he has 4 Pokemon. Got two islands to go for him to catch the final two. Since two Pokemon happen to be Alola starters, it's starting to feel like Sinnoh all over again where he got the Fire and Grass starters with a companion having the other one. Also, were it not for a trade, Ash wouldn't have had a Water Pokemon in Sinnoh either.

What I'm about to say is speculation but I'd like to see Ash get an Eevee. What it evolves into I don't know but Vaporeon would be an interesting choice to say the least. Solid Water type that also can learn Ice Type moves. Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon or Sylveon(Ash's first Fairy type?) would be other solid options(Pikachu rules out Jolteon or any Electric type and Litten rules out Flareon). I also ruled out Glaceon because Ash can catch an Alola specific Ice type in Sandshrew(I would have advocated Vulpix but they just had to give it to Lillie).

I can't see him getting more Dragon types(only have had two so far) and Dark/Ghost types don't exactly fit Ash's style. Would be interesting to see if Ash gets a Fairy type being he didn't in Kalos(where they were first introduced) and considering how strong Fairy types can be, it could be Ash's powerhouse Pokemon in Alola and would make sense for the character Mina when and if she appears in the anime.
No thanks. Fairy types are rubbish except for legends and mythicals. Also Ash wouldn't get an Eevee since he had the chance many times.

I wouldn't mind another dragon for ash. A Kommo-o be great.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
There's also the chance Ash may get an incomplete team this region, considering the very shallow number of new Pokemon they can work with and the large amount of companions. Even moreso if Alola Forms are ruled out for Ash.

Yeah I could see him repeating the XY&Z scenario where he only had five Pokemon and had to recall Goodra for the League, only this time without him retrieving a sixth Pokemon in SM.

Years
Yeah I could see him repeating the XY&Z scenario where he only had five Pokemon and had to recall Goodra for the League, only this time without him retrieving a sixth Pokemon in SM.

There's also the possibility that Ash may not even take part in a league this time around, which would be very disappointing because it'll make Alola only memorable for being a "Orange Islands 2.0". Remember that Alola didn't get its Elite Four established until near the end of the main story in the games.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The anime and games are different though. There could be a league in the show. As for his sixth spot, i hope ash doesn't use an older pokemon because that is just lazy in my opinion. Have catch two more pokemon in alola.

Years
As for his sixth spot, i hope ash doesn't use an older pokemon because that is just lazy in my opinion. Have catch two more pokemon in alola.

I do hope that doesn't happen, though most of the new Pokemon just don't scream Ash-worthy to me due to design or not fitting with his style. I can't really see him getting an Alolan Form either.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Unlikely. Ash released Greninja just like Goodra. Ash not getting a water type is likely this region.

I can see him catching a Crabrawler and added him to his Alola team, because it can used water type moves. But that still leaves him with two open slots to be fill.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I can see him catching a Crabrawler and added him to his Alola team, because it can used water type moves. But that still leaves him with two open slots to be fill.
You already told me about you wanting to see him catch crabrawler. I already know that. I think you meant to say one slot. Ash has four - pikachu, rowlet, litten and rockruff.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
You already told me about you wanting to see him catch crabrawler. I already know that. I think you meant to say one slot. Ash has four - pikachu, rowlet, litten and rockruff.

I know i already told you. I can see him having six pokemon on his Alola team, but which Pokemon can he really get since there is only a few new ones that he can choose from.

Years
I know i already told you. I can see him having six pokemon on his Alola team, but which Pokemon can he really get since there is only a few new ones that he can choose from.

I agree, since there's two difficult things the writers have to take into consideration - the small number of new Pokemon outside of the legendaries, and the large group of six main characters to work with.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I agree, since there's two difficult things the writers have to take into consideration - the small number of new Pokemon outside of the legendaries, and the large group of six main characters to work with.

I don't see a problem at all with him getting 6 pokemon. There are still a number of pokemon we have yet to see. Ones that wouldn't match the others at that.

There are 35 non Alolan form/Legendary/Beast lines.

There was 31 in Kalos.

Ash Already has Fire, Electric, and Grass locked in. Taking out 3 of the 5 other main character, the other one being Lilie who probably may only catch 1 or 2 other pokemon.

Together they all own, 8 of the 35 evolutionary lines not counting Alolan forms. 11 if you count Team Rocket.

Pokemon Ash can catch without interfering with dev of other characters are the following:

Pikipek (Unlikely)
Yungoose (Unlikely)
Crabrawler
Oricorio (Unlikely)
Cutiefly (Unlikely)
Mudbray
Comfey (Unlikely)
Oranguru
Passimian
Minior
Drampa
Dhelmise
Jangmo-o

As you can see, there are still a ton of pokemon that he could possibly still catch that aren't Water, Fire, Grass, or Electric. And just because we have already seen said pokemon, that doesn't mean they can't reappear.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Ash can catch more than one of the same type you know. He had three flying types in kalos and three ground types in sinnoh. We can't assume that ash would catch pokemon that has the same type as his other team. Although electric is very unlikely.

Years
Pokemon Ash can catch without interfering with dev of other characters are the following:

Pikipek (Unlikely)
Yungoose (Unlikely)
Crabrawler
Oricorio (Unlikely)
Cutiefly (Unlikely)
Mudbray
Comfey (Unlikely)
Oranguru
Passimian
Minior
Drampa
Dhelmise
Jangmo-o

As you can see, there are still a ton of pokemon that he could possibly still catch that aren't Water, Fire, Grass, or Electric. And just because we have already seen said pokemon, that doesn't mean they can't reappear.

I can see why Pikipek and Oricorio are unlikely, considering Rowlet seems to be filling the regional bird slot this season, sorta like how Talonflame did both that and the typical Fire-type. And aside from Clemont with Bunnelby in XY, the regional early-game Normal-type rodents never make it onto the main cast.

Cutiefly and Comfey look way too feminine for Ash, so I can see why you've ruled them out.

Out of the other ones listed, I feel Crabrawler, Jangmo-o and Passimian would look best with Ash. Sadly that'll mean no Water-type for him this region, like how he caught no Grass-types in Kalos. I still think something like Wimpod or Dewpider could work, but then again that could interfere with Lana's team development, especially in the case of the latter since it also looks like it could be a Lana Pokemon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think Wimpod is still very possible, but didn't want to include it. He could meet up with the one he saved, but I think Wimpod is going to be another Venipede and Skrelp. Both in which he helped and seemed like he was going to catch in a later episode, but they never showed back up.

He hasn't caught too many bug pokemon, so it would be nice for him to catch another one. Especailly one that looks amazing like Wimpod's evolution.

But as you said, those are the exact reason I said unlikely in that list.

I think think he will catch one of the fighting pokemon. I am almost 100% positive he will. Since both match his personallity well. Passimian looked for a trainer who can throw a pokeball well, which Ash has always been great at. And then Crabrawler who reaches for the highest point to become the best and end of evolving on the highest point in Alola. I can't say much about Jangmo-o right now. It is possible and could definitely be a Gible of the region, but it be nice for him to evolve.

We also need to remember how much this reminds us of SInnoh, team wise, it is very possible for Ash to catch a 6th Alola Pokemon. Similar to how he got Gliscor. If you don't count all the Legends, pre evolutions and evolutions of old pokemon, Sinnoh also only had 30 pokemon lines and Ash still caught 6 pokemon.

I don't think it is an exact replica, but I think it will be close to SInnoh like how Kalos was to Hoenn.

Litten = Infernape
Rowlet = Torterra
Rockruff = Staraptor
Gible = Jangmo-o or Drampa
Buizel = Passimian or Crabrawler
Gliscor = Wimpod

This is just based on attitudes and what they could remind me of.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
If ash catches jangmo-o then i want it fully evolved because he needs a pseudo-legendary and i rather not see another gible situation.

Years
If ash catches jangmo-o then i want it fully evolved because he needs a pseudo-legendary and i rather not see another gible situation.

Even if he does fully evolve it to Kommo-o, he may likely get released a la Goodra. We don't want that happening again.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Even if he does fully evolve it to Kommo-o, he may likely get released a la Goodra. We don't want that happening again.
True but there is a chance he will keep his psuedo this time. But i don't want him to get it if it pulls a gible or goodra on us.

Years
True but there is a chance he will keep his psuedo this time. But i don't want him to get it if it pulls a gible or goodra on us.

I feel it will probably be a Gible situation, since Kommo-o would look a bit too "threatening" for Ash in a series that's exposing him as a complete butt monkey.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't really see him catching a psuedo right now. In the two generations he had caught one, he had been more grown up Sinnoh and Kalos. Both in which he was more mature and more powerful and finished within the Top 4 of the League.

Alola Ash, I just don't see him catching one as I don't think he is mature enough, unless he matures through the show. I know he is powerful in Alola, but he lacks maturity.

Years
I don't really see him catching a psuedo right now. In the two generations he had caught one, he had been more grown up Sinnoh and Kalos. Both in which he was more mature and more powerful and finished within the Top 4 of the League.

Alola Ash, I just don't see him catching one as I don't think he is mature enough, unless he matures through the show. I know he is powerful in Alola, but he lacks maturity.

Agreed. DP and XY Ash were on the mature side, so it's clear you stand by my point that SM Ash is too dumb and immature to have a pseudo-legend. It's clear his current team would need more development first but I do fear his constant goofing off and focus on school will see him finish Alola with an incomplete team.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Rockruff seems close to evolving. I doubt it is a new form. Probably becomes midday or nidnight.

Back