• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphic✓] [pokeemerald] Attempting to Change Shiny Palettes

Skelatox

Bones Full o' Ooze
Years
  • Hey, so, as the title says, I'm trying to change the shiny palettes for a few pokémon, like Nidoqueen, to be less... bad. But I'm unable to figure out where the game pulls the shiny palette from. My first assumption was that it would be from graphics\data\nidoqueen, specifically the shiny.pal, shiny.gbalpal, and shiny.gbapal.lz files. So I tried swapping hers out with a different pokémon's, and she ended up with her normal palette. Since that didn't work, I tried deleting those three files from Nidoqueen's folder altogether, to see if that caused any errors that could point me in the right direction, but the game was able to make just fine, and when I got a shiny Nidoqueen, she still had that same ugly palette.

I tried digging through the other files, but everything I can find (graphics.c, pokemon.h) seems to point to the same place to get shiny palettes. At this point I'm just going in circles, and I was hoping somebody here has the knowledge to get me on the right track.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hey, so, as the title says, I'm trying to change the shiny palettes for a few pokémon, like Nidoqueen, to be less... bad. But I'm unable to figure out where the game pulls the shiny palette from. My first assumption was that it would be from graphics\data\nidoqueen, specifically the shiny.pal, shiny.gbalpal, and shiny.gbapal.lz files. So I tried swapping hers out with a different pokémon's, and she ended up with her normal palette. Since that didn't work, I tried deleting those three files from Nidoqueen's folder altogether, to see if that caused any errors that could point me in the right direction, but the game was able to make just fine, and when I got a shiny Nidoqueen, she still had that same ugly palette.

I tried digging through the other files, but everything I can find (graphics.c, pokemon.h) seems to point to the same place to get shiny palettes. At this point I'm just going in circles, and I was hoping somebody here has the knowledge to get me on the right track.
    .gbapal files, just like the .4bpp files are all generated by the compiler and can't be edited. There's no point in even trying.
    Effectively, the shiny.pal files represent the shiny palette for each Pokémon and you need to edit them if you want to change a Pokémon's shiny palette.
    Spoiler:

If it's not working on your end, then you may have an error in a file that is normally compiled before the species' palettes, and that doesn't allow the files that normally come after in order of linking to be properly compiled.
    To double check this, you can do make clean and then make or make -jN, where N is the number of CPU threads you want to assign to the compiler.

Last edited:

Skelatox

Bones Full o' Ooze
    Years
  • Well, I tried replacing just the .pal file, instead of all three files, and then did make clean, and that did the trick.
    Spoiler:

It's hideous, but the important thing is that this worked. Step 2 will be making it actually look decent. Thanks again, Lunos.

Back