• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you find out about rom hacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2014
    I was looking up "Let's Play" pokemon threads, and came across one called "Pokemon Opal". That sparked my interest in ROM hacks, so I googled for tools, came across here, and I've been fiddling with Advancemap and the like since. It's only been a week really >_>

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
  • I wanted to make a pokemon game, and found out about advance map.
    Then i discovered that you needed a rom, and all the other tools for it.

wizard...

Zombie Trainer
    Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I was downloading roms and downloaded a hack of Zelda: Link's Awakening. I read about hacking, it was easy so I started.

TimeDialga33

Go Chickorita!
    Years
  • I Found about rom hacking when i was making a fangame i thought it was a rom hack but it was a fangame and when i found out about shinygold when i learned about johto.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
  • Dude, it was like...late in December of 2006, almost the dawn of 2007. I was on this other forum called DGEmu.com, where you could download ROMs as a member. Well, at one point in a troubleshooting thread, someone mentioned something about hacking Pokemon games and something about Advance Map. The first hack I played was Pokemon Brown, which really sparked my curiosity on how to hack roms. One thing led to another, and next thing I know, I found this place.

Years
  • For me it was more of my brother Jailbreaking his itouch and putting Pokemon games on it. after that i started searching 'how to play Pokemon on the pc and found WAH and vba and played games for a while until i found PC and wanted to start hacking myself.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Two words... Kaizo Mario. I watched a video of it, caught the words Super Mario World Rom Hack, and I searched it up. T'was a while before I joined here... yeah.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    I'm pretty certain my knowledge of rom hacking began with Sonic based hacking (I stumbled across what was then the Sonic 2 Beta website and it's accompanying message boards), then diversifying into the various communities based around game series and rom hacking until I decided to grab an account here after making good use of the tutorial section.

Last edited:

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
  • Super Mario World

Seriously, there are a ton of SMW hacks, as well as an entire website dedicated to it. I used to attempt hacking this game, but it became much too tedious to actually complete one, so I just made a graphics hack. Alternate Mario World is what I called it, but there were still a few better ones available.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • I've been a member here since 2004. Back then, I didn't know of such things as hacking. I left for about a year in 2007, and when I came back an old friend mentioned hacking, so I looked it up on Youtube. I then proceeded to find TamashiiHiroka, and I got interested. I googled ROM Hacking, and what do you know, PC had such thing. It had been in front of me the whole time. I then proceeded to start hacking in early 2008., and I've been here ever since(except for the summers, of course, of course).

Fire Blazer

Gomu Gomu no...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Four years ago or so a friend showed me some "editors" of sorts and I learned that games could be edited in many interesting ways.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well...I was on another forum and I saw a banner of a Pokemon Ice on a sig of one of the members. That's how I got linked to PC. It was actually Pokemon Ice, I think that made me want to hack. So after that I experimented a little and...poof...that was it.

Years
  • I recall a couple years back I was playing FFVI (SNES) on an emulator and I somehow bumped into a FFVI Sprite Editor. It escalated into getting a Multi-Editor with it, until weeks later I was making my own enemy scripts. Months later I saw touhoumon and assumed it was just video editing...then looked closer, it was too smooth to be just good video editing. Started playing it, and it's actually only been very recently since I've started editing Pokemon ROMS myself.

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
    Years
  • I've played a few popular Pokémon hacks here and there, including Zel's gorgeous Shiny Gold, Never Black & White, and of course, the much-anticipated Ckret's Pokémon Toxic Purple. The example of these fantastic games inspired me to make an attempt of my own.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back