• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do fangames always run poorly on my pc?

Ven9496

the strongest lesbian pokemon trainer in the world
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Rom hack run perfectly. But most rpgmaker xp fangames perform very poorly on my pc and i cant figure out why. I have four gb of ram and a very good graphics card. Does anyone know why this happens?

Years
    • Seen today
    Fan games made with old RPG Maker versions will usually run badly no matter how good your PC is. Some fan games may have been better optimized or may have workarounds, but generally it's just an old program that doesn't work well with modern computers. Fan games made with newer versions don't have this problem.

Ven9496

the strongest lesbian pokemon trainer in the world
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Oh, really? I didn't know that. But if that is the case then why do games seem so smooth on things like videos and such?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    RPG Maker games (I'm not sure about the latest MV and MZ) works (relatively) poor on Windows 8, 10, maybe 11 because Microsoft didn't care enough for retrocompatibility. Even Wine emulates better some old Windows games than these recent Windows.

There is a workaround that I suggest players to do when this happens on my game. You can test yourself to see if you have any gain:
    Click on the executable file and go into Properties, in the Compatibility section put at the Run in Compatibility Mode for Windows® XP* (Service Pack 2).

Besides this, around 2020-2021 a player called MKXP-Z is developed/popularized. This player brings better performance. Fangames made with Essentials kit v19 (April 2021) and beyond uses this player that may bring performance gains.

Fan games made with old RPG Maker versions will usually run badly no matter how good your PC is. Some fan games may have been better optimized or may have workarounds, but generally it's just an old program that doesn't work well with modern computers. Fan games made with newer versions don't have this problem.
    Almost no fangame here (I guess less that 1% here) uses the most recents RPG Maker. Almost every game is made with RPG Maker XP.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Nice reply that I got on my thread. May help you:
    DISCLAIMER - I am no expert in this area but this solution works well for me

You may want to edit this into the read me file since your solution is outdated

Spoiler:

- There is no longer a "Run with graphics processor" option in the NVIDIA Control Panel Dekstop Menu to enable. Consequently, the "Run with graphics processor" option is no longer available from the context menu in Windows 10 May 2020 Update as there was in previous OS versions.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ssing-from-context-menu:-change-in-process-of

However, in my PC, the interface is not the same as the link. Similar but not exactly the same
    I read this site
    https://candytech.in/7-tips-to-increase-graphics-card-performance/
    and disable anti-alasing and vsinc for the game (Tip 2) in the NVIDIA control panel -> Manage 3D setting -> Program setting
    Work well so far.

Back