• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Questions] In search for a name

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hi, I need some help to find the name of the company who made those sticker cards back in 1999. They are fake sticker that were sold in vending machine back in the 90s. I don't know how they received and processed the informations needed to create those sticker but the company were actually able to make around 2000 of them in gold form and about 100 platinum(silver). They created the almost entire fossil set (golem's out unfortunatly) and also almost all the base set and jungle set. They did some holo pattern like chequered prism, star holo, prism holo. The platinum cards are located in many country so I don't know where there from. Thats all i know about the cards it's been years searching without any answer better then ''they were sold back in the 1999 in vending machines''. So if anyone know let me get a taste of that knowledge please.
    Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
      IMG_0177.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 19
    • IMG_0170.JPG
      IMG_0170.JPG
      1.3 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_0174.JPG
      IMG_0174.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_0175.JPG
      IMG_0175.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 9
    • IMG_0179.JPG
      IMG_0179.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 11

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I don't know who made them either. I'd assume some anonymous Chinese bootlegging facility. I love those kinds of cards though! They're super nostalgic to me. Never found any past Neo Genesis, so I'm super jealous of that Umbreon!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Yeah thanks for the efforts at least and also at this point im done giving me false hope so im not surprised xD. But could you believe that no one knows what was the company yet while they sold tons in vending machines? I found it ridiculously weird and how did they even managed to get all the informations needed to recreate them with insane holographic patterns and stuff i dont get it why did they put that much of efforts for doing such a cards they sold for 0.50$. And all of that in 1999 when pokemon wasnt that much popular. The logic and the intentions behind those stickers is very blurry thats all i have to say lol.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah thanks for the efforts at least and also at this point im done giving me false hope so im not surprised xD. But could you believe that no one knows what was the company yet while they sold tons in vending machines? I found it ridiculously weird and how did they even managed to get all the informations needed to recreate them with insane holographic patterns and stuff i dont get it why did they put that much of efforts for doing such a cards they sold for 0.50$. And all of that in 1999 when pokemon wasnt that much popular. The logic and the intentions behind those stickers is very blurry thats all i have to say lol.

Given the ubiquity of those red sticker vending machines in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I can believe they sold so many.

And they likely just bootlegged the information, late 1999, around the global release of Yellow Version and the First Movie, was peak PokeMania, so a lot of this stuff was already out there as images in some form.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Like any good bootlegger, they probably got their materials really cheap. They probably bought in bulk, knowing they'd have no problem selling thanks to Pokémon's popularity. Even if each card sold for a matter of cents, I imagine that they still made plenty of money.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    But for what near just 1000-2000$ for the entire set of stickers. I dont find it any worth the effort but you know… Nah i still don't get it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I don't know who made them either. I'd assume some anonymous Chinese bootlegging facility. I love those kinds of cards though! They're super nostalgic to me. Never found any past Neo Genesis, so I'm super jealous of that Umbreon!

Oh yeah i didn't talk about it but about the Umbreon it's some kind of a special one because I think they tried making some ultra rare and secret rare or stuff like that by doing chequered prism and star holo. Also it is maybe (idk lol) a test card before they start producing the set because there is some evidence (the back of the card is different and i got like 10 of them with this back and also they only produced neo genesis silver card so it's normal you didn't see one). So my hypothesis about those 10 cards is that before they start producing the set they used some cheaper or stuff cardboard and printed any holographic pattern to test if its actually operational and after that someone took them and decided to sell them instead of getting rid of them. I don't think it's another company bootlegging some already bootleg stickers cause it would be too much. I'll send you some photos of the *test stickers and the actual one that were produced and also if you have any idea about why they are different and stuff i would really like to hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
      IMG_0182.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0183.JPG
      IMG_0183.JPG
      1.3 MB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0180.JPG
      IMG_0180.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_0181.JPG
      IMG_0181.JPG
      1.3 MB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0185.JPG
      IMG_0185.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'm not convinced they were trying to do anything special rarity-wise but rather just used whatever foil sheets they could get their hands on at the time. I've got some with hearts and flowers, wavy ripples, shattered glass, expanding spheres...

Did you ever see the miniature versions? I used to have a Squirtle (Team Rocket), but I sadly lost it over the years. I do have a mini Growlithe with the same TCG back though. It's about 4.2cm tall, but the front isn't modeled after a TCG card (it's just a picture of Growlithe against a swirly background, with "Pocket Monsters" written out in warped text and a Poké Ball with 1180 inside).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Mmh interesting no i do not have any mini one seems like something nice are they made with the same material(prism holo) for the sticker or no? And yeah you're probably right about the materials it's sure they used the cheapest one to make more money still I like the design.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I used to have a Squirtle (Team Rocket), but I sadly lost it over the years.

Off topic but I remember having the same thing! Another piece lost to time but yeah, I totally remember having that.

Back