• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Little Details you Notice in Pokemon games

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are some little details you notice in Pokemon games? I noticed in the earlier generation, some npcs are holding game boys in their sprites. I suppose I didn't notice this until recently since I only picked up gens i and ii.

I also noticed that in the first two generations, if you defeat a Pokemon, you don't take Poison or Burn damage after your turn ends. Maybe this isn't considered a "little detail" but I consider it an interesting enough detail to point out that just doesn't happen in later generations.

Another little detail, and I often forget this, is that you can give your Pokemon markings. I don't know what they're for though.

In Gen 3, well, FR/LG, at least, you can tell where there is a hidden berry because there's spots on the ground or grass where they are. They're dark spots in the grass, usually. Also, in generation I, when you find a hidden item the evolution success jingle plays instead of the standard item get jingle. I don't know if this is a glitch or was intentional, but this is a pretty interesting detail, in my opinion.

Something I often overlook is how Red, and Green/Leaf do not make eye contact with trainers that are challenging them, but every other playable character turns to look at the person talking to them. Red never has, and this was kept in the remakes when you play as him.

At the moment, no other small details from the Pokemon games come to mind to me, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    In Gen 1, the rival's Rhyhorn, Growlithe, and Exeggcute don't evolve until they pass the level they learn their best moves.

Rhyhorn learns Take Down at level 55, Exeggcute learns Sleep Powder at level 48, Growlithe learns Flamethrower at level 50.

...Unfortunately, the devs then messed this up by giving Blue's Exeggutor, Arcanine, and Rhydon their basic level-up movesets.

Years
  • Before Generation VI, six pairs of Generation I Pokémon shared near-identical cries: The cries of Charizard and Rhyhorn, as well as those of Poliwag and Ditto, were exactly identical.

This was something I noticed a long time ago! Though as a kid I kept thinking that the cries reminded me of another Pokémon when seeing them, and it didn't click that they were the same as certain other mons until later lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • fun fact about the gen 1 cries, or well i could be butchering this, but i believe there are technically only three sound bites for cries. what we hear differentiated for each pokemon is varied by using speed up/slow down, pitch changes, etc. so that's why a lot of them sound the same but different. and then there are a few that share the exact same cry lol.

other details uhhh. idk mostly RSE stuff, i know where most hidden items are. trainers typically have pokemon that match their own gender. i used to have that soda pop girl's speech memorized (that whole "cool cat not, chill at my pop's spot" thing). probably other things i can't think of on the spot aha.

ohhhh wait, in let's go, the gym leaders are in their original poses from red/blue. i thought that was such a neat touch.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • fun fact about the gen 1 cries, or well i could be butchering this, but i believe there are technically only three sound bites for cries. what we hear differentiated for each pokemon is varied by using speed up/slow down, pitch changes, etc. so that's why a lot of them sound the same but different. and then there are a few that share the exact same cry lol.

other details uhhh. idk mostly RSE stuff, i know where most hidden items are. trainers typically have pokemon that match their own gender. i used to have that soda pop girl's speech memorized (that whole "cool cat not, chill at my pop's spot" thing). probably other things i can't think of on the spot aha.

ohhhh wait, in let's go, the gym leaders are in their original poses from red/blue. i thought that was such a neat touch.

g/s/c and I think hg/ss did this, too, with some exceptions like Bugsy in HG/SS Pokemon all being female instead, same with Will (we'll leave trans theories for another thread tho i guess), Jasmine's Steelix being male & her magnemite being genderless. (Although this was changed in the remakes! Her Steelix is female there), and Karen's Umbreon being male.

although i'm not sure if that's what you meant by trainers having pokemon that match their gender so sorry if i took it literally

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • g/s/c and I think hg/ss did this, too, with some exceptions like Bugsy in HG/SS Pokemon all being female instead, same with Will (we'll leave trans theories for another thread tho i guess), Jasmine's Steelix being male & her magnemite being genderless. (Although this was changed in the remakes! Her Steelix is female there), and Karen's Umbreon being male.

although i'm not sure if that's what you meant by trainers having pokemon that match their gender so sorry if i took it literally

i meant just generic trainers rather than important ones like leaders/E4.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2021
    Another little detail, and I often forget this, is that you can give your Pokemon markings. I don't know what they're for though.

I always assumed this was a utility for breeding/IVs, since there are (iirc) 6 possible markings to go with the 6 IV'd stats.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Marshal of the Unova Elite Four has a mouthguard. At first I thought his Masters model had a visual glitch on his lower teeth, but his sprites in Generation V also show the blue "teeth."

Back