• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 13, 2019
I just tested it again with the previous release (the one right before 190704), and the same thing happened. What I did was evolve Pidgey in Mt. Moon from trainer battles, and the first battle I shift out Pidgeotto after having checked its summary, it turns into a bad egg. Battling without checking its summary does nothing. The patches I use are Catch 'em all, extras, gb sounds and hq cries.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I can't reproduce your issues. And it sounds really, really bizarre. Like, something I've never heard of before. Are you sure you're patching the right version of the game?

Also, do you think you could upload your save file? I might be able to figure something out from it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 13, 2019
I can't reproduce your issues. And it sounds really, really bizarre. Like, something I've never heard of before. Are you sure you're patching the right version of the game?

I couldn't reproduce them myself when using official hardware, so it was probably because of the emulator I was using (gpsp).

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I couldn't reproduce them myself when using official hardware, so it was probably because of the emulator I was using (gpsp).
Man, that name takes me back. Haven't used a PSP in a long while, but I do remember playing Pokémon games in secret on it in my science classes in high school after tests. 😄

gpSP has never been known to be the vanguard of accuracy. It uses various hacks to run at roughly full speed on the PSP, even when overclocked. Not sure how it handles saving exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if that was causing any issues like that.

Years
Hey, Richter! How you doing? Why don't you make an Discord server to the Hack? Since Pokécommunity will be off tomorrow, should be good to chit chat about the hack, post updates, receive suggestions, etc.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey, Richter! How you doing? Why don't you make an Discord server to the Hack? Since Pokécommunity will be off tomorrow, should be good to chit chat about the hack, post updates, receive suggestions, etc.
Pretty good. Things could always be better, but I focus on what I do have and what I can control. Thanks for asking!

I'll be busy throughout the regular week, so I won't be affected much by the PokéCommunity outage. But I do like the idea of starting a Discord server for Throwback. I've never even used Discord, so it'd be an interesting experience to set up and maintain a server for the hack to say the least. I'll definitely consider it for the future.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Hey!
This hack really looks cool - Gonna test is out while on vacation in the coming 2 weeks 😉

However:
Is there any chance you can implement a save strategy to make it work with 512K SRAM on real HW?

There is one (also containing detailed instructions) in romhacking.net for Emerald that should be usable for this purpose.

I'm afraid right now I will not be able to finish the game because my cartridges only have 512K SRAM :/

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Hey, thanks for all your work on this hack! Two quick questions:

1.) Can Pokemon from this hack be transported to future games and ultimately to Bank or will they be caught by the legality checker? If so, what specific changes are the cause of this.

2.) Is there a "reverse" save-compatibility patch that allows you to transfer your save back to vanilla FireRed? I was thinking about using this hack on the Retron 5 with a real cartridge and soft-patching, and then using the cartridge in real DS hardware to transfer to Gen 4.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey!
This hack really looks cool - Gonna test is out while on vacation in the coming 2 weeks 😉

However:
Is there any chance you can implement a save strategy to make it work with 512K SRAM on real HW?

There is one (also containing detailed instructions) in romhacking.net for Emerald that should be usable for this purpose.

I'm afraid right now I will not be able to finish the game because my cartridges only have 512K SRAM :/
Welcome to PokéCommunity!

Unfortunately, that's beyond the scope of this hack. I see the Emerald hack you mentioned, but it's not the most trivial process to create a similar hack for FireRed/LeafGreen. I'd imagine a hack like that would've been made by now. There's places where the two games differ in data saved, such as with FR/LG's "Previously on your quest" function and Emerald's recorded battles from the Battle Frontier. This is something that would need to be made as a general modification and not a Throwback-specific hack, should someone be willing to do that.

For what it's worth, there shouldn't be a problem playing the GBA Pokémon games via custom GBA Virtual Console installs for 3DS or with modern flashcarts like the EZ-Flash Omega. The Everdrive X5 also works, although it can be a pain for games with RTC support.
Hey, thanks for all your work on this hack! Two quick questions:

1.) Can Pokemon from this hack be transported to future games and ultimately to Bank or will they be caught by the legality checker? If so, what specific changes are the cause of this.

2.) Is there a "reverse" save-compatibility patch that allows you to transfer your save back to vanilla FireRed? I was thinking about using this hack on the Retron 5 with a real cartridge and soft-patching, and then using the cartridge in real DS hardware to transfer to Gen 4.
Thank you for the kind words!

I'll answer your second question first. There's nothing you'll need to do to make your Throwback save work with vanilla FireRed. Just rename it and move the file over, and you're good to go! The only slight thing you'll notice is that the GB Sounds item will transform into a mess of ?'s. You won't be able to do anything with it. It'll just be stuck in your Key Items Pocket. But it won't be messing with anything. I could theoretically make a patch that removes the GB Sounds item, but that'd be a hack in itself. At that point you'd be better off removing the now-corrupted item via a save editor.

Now, for migrating Pokémon to future games. I've recently thought about the many ways in which legality can be determined for Pokémon in Throwback, and an unfortunate reality has dawned upon me. It turns out there are many Pokémon you can obtain in it that can be considered illegal depending on how hard and fast a given system or competition holds to the rules. I don't know how strict Pokémon Bank is with this, and I'm pretty sure no one else is. That'd require either a ton of trial-and-error or a massive effort in reverse engineering a digital service. I can't say that any of these particular concerns I'm about to list will cause issues with using them in the modern games. I'm just listing the possible issues I can think of.

I'll divide them into a few sections. WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!

Section 1: Wild Pokémon in Throwback not available in either FireRed or LeafGreen

When transferred to later generations, a Pokémon's found location will be greatly abbreviated, shortening strictly to the region of the game from which they originated from. In the case of Pokémon caught in Throwback, they'll be stated to have been met in Kanto (this includes Pokémon caught at the Sevii Islands, FYI). This actually works great for version-exclusive Pokémon, but it still causes a critical issue for Pokémon not obtainable at all in FireRed or LeafGreen.

Regardless of transfer system used (Pal Park, Poké Transfer, Pokémon Bank), the games will retain which Poké Ball the Pokémon was originally obtained with. For later games this serves as an extra check for legality when it comes to event Pokémon, as their displayed Ball will be a Cherish Ball. This might also be used to check if a Pokémon was caught in a game it's not available in. Most Balls are only used when actually catching them inside it. Gen VI and onwards changed that to where you can pass down caught Balls via breeding, but that's irrelevant when it comes to transferring Pokémon from previous generations.

The following Pokémon are wholly unobtainable in FireRed and LeafGreen but can be caught in Throwback. Their evolved forms can be categorized similarly:

• Hoothoot
  • Chinchou
  • Sudowoodo
  • Sunkern
  • Girafarig
  • Gligar
  • Snubbull
  • Corsola
  • Miltank
These Pokémon are also regularly unobtainable in FireRed and LeafGreen (along with their evolutions). However, they were originally meant to be obtained in Altering Cave by using Mystery Gift at a Wonder Spot. Perhaps someone could conceivably convince someone that their Mystery Gift process went a bit haywire and incremented the variable that changes what Pokémon is available there at a given time. Here they are:

• Mareep
  • Pineco
  • Houndour
  • Teddiursa
  • Aipom
  • Shuckle
  • Stantler
  • Smeargle
There are a couple of ways to ensure that these Pokémon, and their evolved forms, don't get flagged when you send them to your Gen VI/VII games. First, you can breed them from the ones you caught in the wild. All Pokémon hatched from Eggs made at the Day Care are legal. The second way is related to that. If you catch them with a Poké Ball, there should be no issue with them being used in later games. Thanks to their indicated Ball being a Poké Ball, they'll be indistinguishable from Pokémon hatched from Eggs.

But I easily understand that not everyone will want to follow these precautions. Will there be any hangups transferring them to the modern games and using them as you wish? Probably not. But I can't guarantee that. Now, can you use these Pokémon with Sword and Shield? Well, I guess you'll have to ask Game Freak about that one. Or wait until the games come out to see which creatures will be given the green light to appear in them. But hey, I guess that's something Throwback will always have over the newest games!

Section 2: Roaming Legendaries

Without putting much thought into this, you'd think that this isn't an issue at all. Sure, you can catch all three of Raikou Entei, and Suicune in the wild in Throwback instead of just one. But hey, technically all three of them are normally caught this way, so there should be no problem, right? Right???

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

An oversight in the roaming code in the Gen III games causes the generated IVs of roaming Pokémon to be terrible. This means that there's a much smaller range of legitimate IV combinations for Pokémon obtained through this method. I fixed the roaming IV glitch in the Extras portion of the hack, meaning that the three of them can now potentially have any possible combination of IVs from 0 to 31 per stat. Of course, this comes with the side effect that most roaming Pokémon caught in this hack will likely have at least one IV outside of the limited range possible from the glitch. Since transferring them up to later games will still indicate that they come from Kanto, someone will be able to deduce that they came from FireRed or LeafGreen. Then people who are aware of the IV glitch could check their IVs to see if they indeed fall into the limited possibilities for those games. If not, they could be classified as illegal.

Does Pokémon Bank check for this? Do online battles check for this? Do tournaments check for this? You're asking the wrong person. I have a feeling that you'll be able to do the first two just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something out there that does check for it. I could always remove the roaming IV fix from the hack to bypass this entirely, but I don't know how others would react to that. I've already upset some by removing Faraway Island from the hack (I like to refer to it as "Fauxaway Island" due to how poor a facsimile it was of Emerald's), do I really want to poke the hornet's nest again?

Section 3: Mythical Pokémon

As the hack currently stands today, Mew and Celebi are not obtainable in-game. I know that this disappoints many people. Recently, I've come around on this and am now disappointed myself in this fact. So I'll say this now: Both Mew and Celebi will be obtainable in-game sometime in the future. It'll be awhile before I get things finished for them, though. I've got ideas for both of them in my head. Celebi's is far more complex, but I really like one part of it that I've already tested out. I think it'll please both people who know Celebi's capabilities and those who like the whole "Throwback" idea. 😄

Should they be obtainable in the ways I intend them to be, I can assure you that they will be considered illegal. In the Gen III games outside of Japan, Mew and Celebi are only obtainable via real-life events. This means that their Trainer IDs, Trainer names, and fateful encounter status are all predetermined from a very small pool of choices. This isn't something I can easily code into the game, and I don't think people will be too happy with obtaining Mew and Celebi through the hack in my intended means only to find out that they aren't the original Trainer for them.

Whew! Sorry if that response was a bit much. I just figured that being thorough about it would really help out with questions like this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Thanks for the thorough response! I suppose when you release the source files for the latest patch I can cobble together my own "legal" version of Throwback. Otherwise, I'll just try to catch those Pokemon in Pokeballs and avoid transferring the Legendary Beasts. Thanks!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I've got a lot of things lined up for the next Thursday release. It'll be up on the 18th, and at a better time! The changes this go-around will mainly revolve around one thing, but there are some other small things sprinkled in there, too.
Thanks for the thorough response! I suppose when you release the source files for the latest patch I can cobble together my own "legal" version of Throwback. Otherwise, I'll just try to catch those Pokemon in Pokeballs and avoid transferring the Legendary Beasts. Thanks!
Hey, don't worry that much about transferring them! I'm sure they'll move over to later games just fine. Even if they can technically be classified as illegal, you shouldn't have any issues getting the regular Pokémon to your Bank. And don't forget that hatching Eggs of them is also an option to make them 100% legal!

I can't assure the same success with the Legendary Beasts, but you will be able to get them to at least Gen V. Pokémon Bank could possibly throw some red flags, but I'm not certain about that. Either way, if you feel paranoid about losing them in the hack you can always make a copy of your save. Or make duplicates of the Pokémon you want to transfer via save editor.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Happy Throwback Thursday!

Today we've got a berry special update for Throwback! Guess what the big change is? Well? That's right, I tweaked a couple of corner tiles on the Sevii Islands to blend better with their surrounding tiles! Does that not excite you? Well, I also renamed Celadon Mansion to the Celadon Condominiums (translation error). Eggs no longer show as being healed in Pokémon Centers (like Gen IV on). And Sun Stones are no longer purchasable from the Two Island vendor (they aren't purchasable through standard means in the official games). Instead, you can get more Sun Stones as a prize from Selphy for showing her a Pokémon she wants to see. They replace Rare Candies. More on her later.

Oh, and I made a lot of changes to getting and using Berries. There's that, too.

Every Berry outside of the two battle-facility-exclusive Berries (Starf and Lansat) are now obtainable in Throwback. The respawning Berries in Berry Forest have been changed to remove the ones available through Pickup and replace them with the intense healing Berries (#11 through #15). They'll heal 50% of your Pokémon's HP in a pinch, but they may confuse it if they don't like it, so be careful. Sitrus and Leppa Berries can be found respawning there, too.

Meanwhile, stat-increasing Berries are now available as prizes from Selphy on Five Island. They replace the valuable items she might give you. I don't think people will mind that, especially since there's more dependable ways of getting money. It might take several tries to get the Berry you want. Luxury Balls are the most common prize, just as they are in the vanilla game. Don't get discouraged if she wants to give you those more than anything else! These Berries are supposed to be more difficult to obtain.

Last but not least, I've repurposed a (possibly unused) function in the game: a pseudo-Berry Master in Cerulean City! No, I'm not talking about the Berry Powder man. He lives in an unmarked house on the lower part of the map and stares at a TV. I wouldn't be surprised if many people don't know who I'm talking about. This is the house you're looking for:

Wonder-News-House.png

He'll give you a random Berry every once in awhile. And by "every once in awhile" I mean once every 512 steps. He uses the same internal counter as Daisy for her grooming service, so you have to pick and choose which one you want to use every half a thousand steps or so. The Berry that he gives you will be within the same range as Berry Masters in the main games (#21 through #30).

You know what that means? EV-reducing Berries are now on the table! They function exactly as you'd expect them to. All text related to them has been lifted from the later games as opposed to Emerald, so it flows better. EVs have also been capped at 252 per stat to help eke out every last bit of strategic EV distribution. And don't worry, the Pomeg glitch won't pop up.

Finally, Lostelle will give you an Enigma Berry instead of an Iapapa Berry after saving her in Berry Forest. This is mainly for completion's sake. If you've progressed past this point in the game, you won't be able to get it. But that might be for the best. You're not supposed to be able to get this Berry in Gen III, after all.

Enjoy!

Changelog

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hmm... this thread's been pretty dormant since the last update. How's about I post a foreshadowing gif to add a little excitement?

tumblr_pcah5mm4wS1sktgg3o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 28, 2019
Hello! I'm A little bit confused about the versions on the main page. Does the latest 190718 build include tkims changes? I saw that the Unofficial Throwback haven't gotten any updates in quite some time. But the 190718 version is the main one right?

Also, if I wanted to use Chronosplits Fire Red 251+ addendum patch, how do you patch it? Like first patch a Fire Red 1.0 with Throwback and then 251+ on top of that?

This really is the best Fire Red QoL rom hack I've ever played (played it first time some years ago)!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 28, 2019
Hmm... this thread's been pretty dormant since the last update. How's about I post a foreshadowing gif to add a little excitement?

Maybe set up a discord server? It is way easier to communicate, get feedback, post updates and getting some proper discussions going!

*I'm browsing pokecommunity on mobile and it is absolutely horrible...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hello! I'm A little bit confused about the versions on the main page. Does the latest 190718 build include tkims changes? I saw that the Unofficial Throwback haven't gotten any updates in quite some time. But the 190718 version is the main one right?

Also, if I wanted to use Chronosplits Fire Red 251+ addendum patch, how do you patch it? Like first patch a Fire Red 1.0 with Throwback and then 251+ on top of that?

This really is the best Fire Red QoL rom hack I've ever played (played it first time some years ago)!
Thank you for the kind words! I'm hoping these recent changes have been making it even better.

On tkim's patches: That depends on what changes you're looking for. If it's the suite of improvements he made to the standard version of the hack, I've implemented just about all of them. As for his personal changes in his "Unofficial" version, those aren't a part of the newest versions of Throwback. If he wants to update his version of Throwback to be based on the most recent official release, or if he wants to pick and choose stuff that I've implemented in the most recent patches to add to his version, that's up to him. I'm not sure if he's been messing with hacking again lately. In fact, I'm not sure if he's even been thinking about Pokémon lately, given he hasn't been here in over a week.

Chronosplit's addendum patch was built to work on my last official version until recently, as well as tkim's most recent "bugfix official" version. Reading through the Readme, it seems like there's nothing too crazy going on. It should work fine. Now that I look at it, though, there are a couple of things that I want to add to Throwback for myself... 😉
Maybe set up a discord server? It is way easier to communicate, get feedback, post updates and getting some proper discussions going!

*I'm browsing pokecommunity on mobile and it is absolutely horrible...
Yeah, it looks like that's the direction everything's headed in nowadays. I still haven't used Discord myself in general, so I want to get used to that for a tiny bit of time before I start creating any groups with it. But it definitely seems like it'll be the way to go to keep people more engaged with Throwback (and any future projects I work on).

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Happy Throwback Thursday!

First things first, a warning. If you beat the game in a previous version of Throwback, you must apply the Save Compatibility patch and speak to Teala, the receptionist at the second floor of any Pokémon Center in the game. Not doing so will result in bugs when the game has to read what your starter Pokémon is and whether you have the National Dex unlocked or not. I had to change some variables that I thought were unused in the vanilla game but actually are used.

Also, feel free to hit up the new Throwback Discord server if you want. You'll be more likely to get a timely response from there. Things are kinda free-form there at the moment as I learn my way around everything.

Now with that out of the way, onto the show.

63AAC76EB8595C88FDAA7D5705A75576E18020A8

Guess who's back, back again. Mew is back, tell a friend.

After two years of absence (and me having to deal with some harassment), Mew is once again obtainable in Throwback! You'll be able to find it at the peak of Mt. Ember (Moltres has moved back to Victory Road). If you examine it in most cases, it'll just be minding its own business and enjoying itself. If you approach it when you have a certain Pokémon in your party, though... things get heated. Literally. I'm sure you can guess which Pokémon that is. If not, you can look at the Event Guide in the download or read the changelog at the end of the post.

Mew will be holding a Starf Berry when you battle it. If you want it, you'll probably have to steal it from it with a Pokémon that knows Thief.

This was possible thanks to me finding out how to make Mew fully obedient. The specific special call used in the Deoxys battle at Birth Island will create a Pokémon that will fully obey you after you catch it. Workarounds exist to make all Mews obey you, but they make it so trying to trade with other players with a not-truly obedient Mew will crash the game. Plus you'd be out of luck if you wanted to migrate such a Mew to later games. It's still not a legal Mew, but there's really no feasible way to do that without just asking you to trade in an event Mew from a special save file or use a Mew distribution cart. And by this point I think I know how everyone would react to that.

The National Pokédex situation has also been lightened significantly. You will now receive the National Dex as soon as you beat the game, regardless of how many Pokémon you've caught. You can also obtain non-Kanto Pokémon at any time in the game, regardless of whether or not you have the National Dex. Trading with players who have non-Kanto Pokémon in their party is now possible as soon as you're able to trade, period. Do note that trading with Hoenn games (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, as well as their hack variants) is still not possible until after re-establishing links to the region in-game from the Sevii Islands. This is due to story reasons.

Speaking of the Sevii Islands, they are no longer accessible until after you beat the game. As a tradeoff, Johto Pokémon that I previously shoved into the final four islands in unnatural places are now found on the first three islands instead. There's other neat additions, like implementing the Egg-hatching function of Magma Armor/Flame Body. The patching process has also been slightly simplified. Check out the changelog for full details.

If you're curious to know where the Johto Pokémon have been relocated to, check out the new wild locations text file in the "Documents" folder. Enjoy!

Changelog

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Amazing update as always, I think only Celebi is missing right now. Do you have any plans for it? I'll start from scartch and play it again this weekend.
I certainly do have plans to add Celebi! There's no reason to leave it out any longer. The question is how to I'm going to make it accessible. Right now I'm thinking about making it easy to obtain, but rewarding in what it leads to. No battle, it'd just join you. But it'd serve as a key to go elsewhere, much like the event Celebi in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Obviously nothing is set in stone, and it might take some time for me to get something done for Celebi that I'll be satisfied with.

If you do start that playthrough over, I thought I'd let you in on something: The next update I'm planning on overhauling level-up learnsets for most Pokémon in the game. Most moves will be learned earlier, and I'm expanding the learnsets for Pokémon that learn new moves through level-up in Gens IV and V. It's all still just the moves present in Gen III, of course. I'm not adding any new moves wholesale to the hack.
You might hate this but would you consider making an alternative patch with key items as HM replacement so we can get rid of HM slaves.
I don't hate it at all! It's actually something I've thought about for some time. HM slaves stink. I know that Gen VII did away with them, but I don't know if I'm the biggest fan of how it was handled in Sun and Moon. The descriptions I've been reading of Ride Pokémon make it seem fairly inorganic. The Secret Techniques in the Let's Go games seem far more appropriate. I haven't played anything from Gen VII, though, so I can't say how they actually feel.

Like with Celebi, the big question would be "How do I implement this?" As of right now, I don't know. I like the idea of being able to use an HM so long as you've got a Pokémon in your party capable of learning that HM (without it actually knowing it). New Key Items is also certainly a possibility, although that would require designing new artwork for them.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Is it possible to export learnsets of each pokemon in text format so you can ship a database with the next release?
Of course it is! 😃

It'd take a lot of work, though. With how I want to specifically tweak and move around the data for each Pokémon's expanded level-up learnset, adding documentation into the mix would make it so that the next update wouldn't consist of much more than that. I'll be soft-rewriting the movelists for 300+ Pokémon, after all (dumb things like Metapod and whatnot won't need any changes, lol).
This is actually better than key items solution, can't wait to see future updates.
It seems like a good solution for the majority of HMs. Fly is an issue, though, and so is Flash to a lesser extent. I'll certainly explore my options with this.

Back