• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Is anybody else experiencing a graphical glitch with Red's clothing in the opening? It extends to the bedroom too.

Never mind, but the first still applies.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Is anybody else experiencing a graphical glitch with Red's clothing in the opening? It extends to the bedroom too.

Never mind, but the first still applies.
    Sorry for the late response. I was out at lunch.

I can confirm the bug. I've made a quick fix to the hack that patches this out of the main patch. I also made a fix to a notable issue brought about by me moving the Sevii Islands to the postgame: a lack of Fire-type Pokémon. You'll now be able to catch Ponyta and Magmar at Route 17 and the Pokémon Mansion, respectively. Sorry for the issues!

Changelog

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2019
    Hey this ROM hack is really awesome! It's one of my favorites on the site and I really appreciate that you made it.

I downloaded the latest version and I noticed that in Altering Cave I can only encounter Zubats now. Is this purposeful?

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • Hey this ROM hack is really awesome! It's one of my favorites on the site and I really appreciate that you made it.

I downloaded the latest version and I noticed that in Altering Cave I can only encounter Zubats now. Is this purposeful?

Is the same as in a non-hacked game.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Hey this ROM hack is really awesome! It's one of my favorites on the site and I really appreciate that you made it.

Yeah, that is the case. Huh...
    Is the same as in a non-hacked game.
    ... but it's not supposed to be. It must have gotten reversed inadvertently when I reset the Johto Pokémon locations via patching shenanigans.

Tell you what. I'm gonna release a fix tonight that brings them back there. But it won't stay that way for long. The Johto Pokémon that should be at Altering Cave will always be there in Throwback, but it won't be the same as it was before when the next regular patch comes out. I want to make a solution that would better match how Game Freak intended to use the area.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Looks like tonight is right now! I wanted to get this out of the way before I do anything else this evening. Sorry for all the bugs! I guess I wasn't expecting the anti-patching I was doing with the last regular update would cause these issues.

Changelog

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah, that is the case. Huh...

... but it's not supposed to be. It must have gotten reversed inadvertently when I reset the Johto Pokémon locations via patching shenanigans.

Tell you what. I'm gonna release a fix tonight that brings them back there. But it won't stay that way for long. The Johto Pokémon that should be at Altering Cave will always be there in Throwback, but it won't be the same as it was before when the next regular patch comes out. I want to make a solution that would better match how Game Freak intended to use the area.

Really?
    Well, I never managed to get to Altering Cave in Throwback so I didn't knew.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Can you offer any insight on what this means? Are you simply going to make them obtainable or make an entirely new area related to Hoenn?
    They won't be obtainable in Throwback. It'll be an Emerald hack I plan on working on sometime in the future.

Speaking of, I'm not sure how I want to approach it yet. At the Discord server we briefly talked about potentially using the Emerald disassembly for such a hack. Ideally it's a great asset to any kind of Emerald hack, since it lets you work on it with much more freedom and opportunity. The problem comes with potentially making it work similarly to Throwback where I'd provide several different patches for customizing the ROM. Building a hack with more than the most trivial changes to a disassembly will result in shifted data all over the place that'll make using IPS patches incredibly bogged down, if not illegal outright.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Happy Throwback Thursday!

School's back in session in many places now. You know what that means? That's right, sneaking some Gen III Pokémon time on your Game Boy Advance Nintendo DS Hacked PSP smartphone!

Today's update revolves around one thing: overhauling Pokémon learnsets. Every move that a Pokémon can learn in Generations IV and V can now be learned in Throwback! (outside of a few exceptions, see below)

Learnset_Changes_2.png
    Learnset_Changes_1.png
    Extras_8.png
    Learnset_Changes_3.png

Pictures taken from the Discord server.

Want to equip a Charizard with Solar Beam and Crunch? Now you can! Want to teach Dragonite Thunder Punch or Fire Punch quickly? Head on over to the Move Maniac! Want a Kingdra with Outrage and Signal Beam? Get your Day Care slots ready! And there's more. The legendary Johto Pokémon can now learn Extrasensory. Leaf Blade, Blaze Kick, and Muddy Water are no longer exclusive to Hoenn starters. Healing moves like Recover, Synthesis, Morning Sun, and Slack Off have a much larger range of compatibility now. Moves from TMs and Move Tutors like Light Screen, Safeguard, Rock Tomb, and Rock Slide can now be taught to many more Pokémon than in the base game.

And it's not just what moves they learn. It's when they learn them, too. Most Pokémon will learn their moves earlier than they do in FR/LG, oftentimes closely mirroring the levels of later games. Butterfree will learn all of its moves by Lv. 30! Aerodactyl will now know four moves when hatched from an Egg at Lv. 5! Be wary that this applies to wild Pokémon and Trainers, too. Sandshrew at early levels might know Rollout or Swift! And pretty much all opponents after Pewter City will be tougher as a result.

As for the exceptions? Well, most of them are obvious:
    • No newer moves have been added to the game. Stealth Rock abusers will need to look elsewhere.
    • If a Pokémon can only learn a move through breeding with a Pokémon that doesn't exist in Gen III, it won't be able to learn that move in Throwback.
    • If a Pokémon can only learn a move through a TM that doesn't exist in Gen III or a Move Tutor that doesn't teach those moves in FireRed and LeafGreen, it won't be able to learn that move in Throwback.
    • Pichu still can't learn Volt Tackle. I'll "tackle" this in a future update.
    All Pokémon have been updated, including Hoenn Pokémon. Also, keep in mind that many of the new Egg moves are gotten through breeding with Hoenn Pokémon. If you want to take advantage of them, you'll need to trade them in from another game first. Throwback will have a sister project to pair up with in the future, but for now the official games (and hacks that support trading) will have to do.

These learnset changes took up a lot of time, so this is the entire update this time around. And I undoubtedly left an error or two in there. If anyone runs into something peculiar, feel free to let me know. Chances are I'll be tweaking this slightly over time regardless. No radical changes, as I believe every learnable move by all Pokémon (sans the above examples) is now available in this game.

I have a feeling this is something more along the lines of what people are looking for in a ROM hack. Well, here you go. Enjoy! 😊

Changelog

On the docket for next update: Trainer difficulty, TM locations

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    And it's not just what moves they learn. It's when they learn them, too. Most Pokémon will learn their moves earlier than they do in FR/LG

How will this affect existing saves? Won't this cause certain Pokémon to miss out on some of its moves because it's at a higher level than the newly shifted move is learned at?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Hi RichterSnipers how's it going? Hope everything is good going, also amazing work with new creative way to make pokemon feel new game wise. But i have two or three questions.
    1. Will day and night system from gen 2 ever make an appearance in throwback.
    2. Do stone evolution such as raichu, nidoking, nidoqueen,ninetales, arcanine,ect, get to learn there previous evolution move from levels up?
    3. Will the difficulty be more harder in the next patch like gym leader battle.
    Again thank you for such awesome work.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • How will this affect existing saves? Won't this cause certain Pokémon to miss out on some of its moves because it's at a higher level than the newly shifted move is learned at?
    You'd be right about that. Since this update doesn't affect anything but Pokémon learnsets, I'd say update once you're ready to deal with that reality.

It does make me wonder if I need to develop a better customization system for Throwback, though. You're not the only one to prompt me on how these changes affect the progression of the game.
    Hi RichterSnipers how's it going? Hope everything is good going, also amazing work with new creative way to make pokemon feel new game wise. But i have two or three questions.
    1. Will day and night system from gen 2 ever make an appearance in throwback.
    2. Do stone evolution such as raichu, nidoking, nidoqueen,ninetales, arcanine,ect, get to learn there previous evolution move from levels up?
    3. Will the difficulty be more harder in the next patch like gym leader battle.
    Again thank you for such awesome work.
    1. It's unlikely. There's no functional purpose for day and night in Throwback other than determining what Eevee evolves into. I could retrofit some pedometer-based events into daily events, but I'm not sure how people would respond to that. I could see myself including it as a cosmetic change at some point, but it's not something I have in mind.
    2. No, they won't. They've never been able to in the main games, and I intend to stick with that precedent.
    3. I actually don't know what all I'm going to change with Trainers yet. All I know is that I need to do something about the custom battles to accommodate for the change in level-up learnsets.

It's all good, BTW. Thank you!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    RichterSnipers while i was looking to breed a tentacool the egg moves were distorted or messed up saying error. Probably the data is missing or a bit corrupted.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • RichterSnipers while i was looking to breed a tentacool the egg moves were distorted or messed up saying error. Probably the data is missing or a bit corrupted.
    Where were you looking at for this? You mean ingame, or using a tool?

Edit: I see what's going on. It was an error on my part. I expanded all of the Egg moves with a hex editor, so something like this was bound to happen. Thanks for pointing it out to me! I'll get a bugfix patch out real quick.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Tbh it was a tool i was using Gen 3 Hacking suite to know what move each pokemon learns. Hope it help a little and have a nice day.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Update time! It's actually a two-for-one fix. First off, Tentacool's Egg move list has been fixed. I made an error when typing in the move values in a hex editor. The other fix comes from the Discord server. Someone there reported broken Pokédex entries. As it turns out, the TM and Move Tutor expansion I did created this bug. I was using PGE to edit the hack, and I had no idea what bytes it was changing. Either way, it ended up causing the issue with that. Either that, or it doesn't like the Pokédex species glitch fix implementation. I can't say for sure which it is. Regardless, that issue is fixed at the expense of the increased move compatibility those edits brought. I'll bring back the expanded TM/Move Tutor compatibility if I can figure out why that bug is happening and stop it, or if I find another way of expanding move compatibility for those.

If you've already updated to v190815, update again to v190818 ASAP. Sorry about that!

Changelog
    Tbh it was a tool i was using Gen 3 Hacking suite to know what move each pokemon learns. Hope it help a little and have a nice day.
    It certainly does. And thank you, you too. If anyone finds any other bugs with the update (or in the hack in general), feel free to let me know!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Hey, I'd just like to let everyone know that I'm not going to be releasing an update on Thursday. I've been busy with other things lately. Not sure when the next update will be out, but I'll be sure to let everyone know when I have an idea.

Sorry about that!

Last edited:
    Back