• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Gender difference features in Gen III

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
  • Gender difference is a feature introduced in Generation IV. Is there a way to implement gender difference based features in GBA ROMs (FR or EM) including one or more of these:
    1. Most basically, different forms based on gender? (e.g Female Pikachu have a heart-shaped tail)
    2. Gender exclusive evolution? (e.g Ralts, Snornut, Combee, Salandit)
    3. Gender exclusive movesets? (e.g Meowstic)

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Gender exclusive movesets can be done easily by expanding the dex; just set one of the genders up as you would normally, and set the other up as a separate Pokemon, but with the same dex entry as the first. You can then assign them separate movesets, sprites, stats etc. This is also how Meowstic and most other forms with significant differences are set up in the 3DS games.

CaptainDumbChester

The Dumbest Person ever.
    Years
  • Gender difference is a feature introduced in Generation IV. Is there a way to implement gender difference based features in GBA ROMs (FR or EM) including one or more of these:
    1. Most basically, different forms based on gender? (e.g Female Pikachu have a heart-shaped tail)
    2. Gender exclusive evolution? (e.g Ralts, Snornut, Combee, Salandit)
    3. Gender exclusive movesets? (e.g Meowstic)

1.Done by KDS the formes , for gender different sprites just create 2 pikacchu with diff sprite .
    2.Done Before just search around.
    3.Just do 2 different pokemon(male female).

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • Gender exclusive movesets can be done easily by expanding the dex; just set one of the genders up as you would normally, and set the other up as a separate Pokemon, but with the same dex entry as the first. You can then assign them separate movesets, sprites, stats etc. This is also how Meowstic and most other forms with significant differences are set up in the 3DS games.
    1.Done by KDS the formes , for gender different sprites just create 2 pikacchu with diff sprite .
    2.Done Before just search around.
    3.Just do 2 different pokemon(male female).
    What if I want the Pokémon with gender differences share the same Pokédex slot? Whether I encounter a male or female Pikachu I want the Pokédex to ONLY register the 25th slot with seen data. Wouldn't it be weird to have a Pokédex displaying a Pokémon in two slots?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    What if I want the Pokémon with gender differences share the same Pokédex slot? Whether I encounter a male or female Pikachu I want the Pokédex to ONLY register the 25th slot with seen data. Wouldn't it be weird to have a Pokédex displaying a Pokémon in two slots?

When you expand the Pokedex you can also set up a number of Pokemon without their own Pokedex entries, but with data for everything else. If you then set their dex order number to match that of another Pokemon, they'll have the same dex entry as that Pokemon, and seeing or catching either of the Pokemon with that order number will register the appropriate information in the Pokedex (so they'll effectively share the same Pokedex slot).

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • When you expand the Pokedex you can also set up a number of Pokemon without their own Pokedex entries, but with data for everything else. If you then set their dex order number to match that of another Pokemon, they'll have the same dex entry as that Pokemon, and seeing or catching either of the Pokemon with that order number will register the appropriate information in the Pokedex (so they'll effectively share the same Pokedex slot).
    I've come up with an idea. Unown's forms in Generation III are determined by their personality values. So I think there is a similar way to display a Pokémon based on its gender value? If this is possible, then there is no need to expand the Pokédex.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I've come up with an idea. Unown's forms in Generation III are determined by their personality values. So I think there is a similar way to display a Pokémon based on its gender value? If this is possible, then there is no need to expand the Pokédex.

That would certainly be possible, and would probably be a better way to implement different sprites for each gender than separate Pokemon. I don't know how hard it would be or if it's been done before, though.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I've come up with an idea. Unown's forms in Generation III are determined by their personality values. So I think there is a similar way to display a Pokémon based on its gender value? If this is possible, then there is no need to expand the Pokédex.
    it also uses 28 pokémon slots up with sprites and only sprites :D
    best way to do it would probs be to set it up so that the game loads normally if male, loads at a fixed address away if female
    this is how deoxys and assumedly castform do it

Back