• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JPAN's Hacked Engine for Dummies Tutorial

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
Years
  • Pokemon Fire Red Hacked Engine For Dummies
    Pokémon Engine hacks and additions tutorial
    By: Turtl3skulll

While working with JPAN's hacked engine, I've noticed a lot of the instructions are very poorly written; many assume you know every little thing that is going on, and thus a lot of examples are completely voided. I've began rewritting his manual in a friendlier way, one which (hopefully) any beginner with scripting knowledge may be able to look at and understand without the need of carefully reading every word of the document and having to put one-and-one together to figure out an example that was briefly talked about before that is needed.
    I will attempt to update the manual to make it as user friendly as possible, and include every special as soon as I get it fully working.

I'll use this format:

NAME OF SPECIAL & ITS NUMBER
    BRIEF DESCRIPTION
    A SCRIPT EXAMPLE
    EXTRA NOTES ON IT

DISCLAIMER:
    I will not include everything the original manual had. These will be examples of how to script the specials he created, and therefore they will not be explained in full detail, that's what his manual is for & you may look at that for in-depth explanation on his code.

If anything is wrong, needs more explaining, or I missed a special and you know how to explain it feel free to tell me & I'll add it onto this. Hope this helps some of you out :)

Multichoice boxes
    Spoiler:

Runtime Trainer Customization
    Spoiler:

Poke-Decrypt Specials:

Spoiler:

Party Specials
    Spoiler:

Wild Battle Pokemon
    Spoiler:

Walking Scripts
    Spoiler:

Key Detection Specials
    Spoiler:

Misc.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Phasesaber

Software Engineer turned Pokemon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Looks fancy, I''l have to look into his engine some more.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • You should link to the fixes for the engine's bugs. Karatekid has a thread on PHO about it.

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
    Years
  • You should link to the fixes for the engine's bugs. Karatekid has a thread on PHO about it.

That's actually a really good idea, I just wanted to make a tutorial on the specials themselves, but I assume you're right, it would make this better, I'll update it and add those under the "Misc." section. thanks

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Also if there are other fixes please let me know, pm them to me or add them here & I'll include them, so far the one posted is the only one I've seen

So I've started using JPAN's engine because it seems like the hack I was working on is broken. (Might as well start over)

I found out I'm able to change IVs, and I want to do so through the pokemon selection menu. I feel like I'm close to being able to, and I understand how most calls work, but I'm having trouble understanding what each variable does, and how it is used in conjunction with other variables. What are the limits to these variables? etc

Below is an example of my code.
    Spoiler:

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? I have successfully made all IVs max, but it only happens to my first pokemon. The only time its worked with the menu, I've had to use the item twice to see results. Its really odd.

Last edited:

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
    Years
  • I found out I'm able to change IVs, and I want to do so through the pokemon selection menu. I feel like I'm close to being able to, and I understand how most calls work, but I'm having trouble understanding what each variable does, and how it is used in conjunction with other variables. What are the limits to these variables? etc

Not sure what you mean by the limitations the variables have, PM me and I'll be glad to answer what I know about them.

As for what you did wrong, its not with JPAN's code, but with how you're calling the pokemon from their menu, I don't remember how to call them properly, I tried it and ended up changing the stats of everyone in my party XD try using diego's tutorial on XSE and see if you fix the way you called it, I'll look around my scrap codes cuz I think I have the solution there somewhere, if I find it I'll let you know.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? I have successfully made all IVs max, but it only happens to my first pokemon. The only time its worked with the menu, I've had to use the item twice to see results. Its really odd.

Also how do you know it only happened for the 1st pokemon, did you check it with the checking specials? if so, could you post that script too, that may help.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Not sure what you mean by the limitations the variables have, PM me and I'll be glad to answer what I know about them.

As for what you did wrong, its not with JPAN's code, but with how you're calling the pokemon from their menu, I don't remember how to call them properly, I tried it and ended up changing the stats of everyone in my party XD try using diego's tutorial on XSE and see if you fix the way you called it, I'll look around my scrap codes cuz I think I have the solution there somewhere, if I find it I'll let you know.

Also how do you know it only happened for the 1st pokemon, did you check it with the checking specials? if so, could you post that script too, that may help.

I figured it out. It took 6 hours, but I finally understand everything now, and I really appreciate you posting the code. I'll post mine:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
    Years
  • I figured it out. It took 6 hours, but I finally understand everything now.

Ok I'm glad you figured it out, sorry for taking a week to answer I was out of town.

If you got the solution I'd like to know it, in the case I ever run into that problem, or need to help someone else with it.

Thanks for posting your code on it, I was always a little confused on if the worked correctly. Thanks for that, I'll use your code to correct anything I've done, thank you!

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Ok I'm glad you figured it out, sorry for taking a week to answer I was out of town.

If you got the solution I'd like to know it, in the case I ever run into that problem, or need to help someone else with it.

Thanks for posting your code on it, I was always a little confused on if the worked correctly. Thanks for that, I'll use your code to correct anything I've done, thank you!

No problem! Glad you're using the code! I've tried it with multiple things, including renaming pokemon, etc and it works. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the other things. I still use this post as a reference.

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
    Years
  • No problem! Glad you're using the code! I've tried it with multiple things, including renaming pokemon, etc and it works. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the other things. I still use this post as a reference.

I feel like you're thanking me for things I didn't do, unless you're referring to my original post :P

Also I meant how did you fix your problem with giving the IVs to the selected slot on the pokemon choosing thing, instead of just the 1st/all pokemon in the party.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • I feel like you're thanking me for things I didn't do, unless you're referring to my original post :P

Also I meant how did you fix your problem with giving the IVs to the selected slot on the pokemon choosing thing, instead of just the 1st/all pokemon in the party.

I mean on the original post. Thank you for placing everything in one place and giving examples.
    And this:
    setvar 0x8004 0x1

This controls which slot it gives the stats to. I stuck notes on my code, hopefully that helps.

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
    Years
  • Didn't see this special on your tut.
    SPECIAL 0x18: Check Pokémon Specie
    If you want to check if the Pokémon in your Party is Pikachu or somewhat, here's the script

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Turtl3Skulll

Blue Turtl3
    Years
  • Hey, could you explain to me how the special 0x58(Wild Pokemon Data Changer) works? I've read it a few times but I'm clueless about what should be done.

Sadly I don't know how it works, I tried for a few hours today, but no success...

The closest I got to it working was this:

Spoiler:

Back