• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Tips for completing the Pokedex in ORAS

Years
  • Well, here I am again writing another post. It's been a long time lol.

So hello there reader! Welcome to this guide of completing the Pokedex in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
    For the people who have been paying attention to the forum, I have indeed already made a post about this topic, but it was lacking a lot of information. So here is the new guide, with more details etc.

Have fun, and remember: "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Step 1: Preparations
    First things first, you can't just rush into the Pokedex like it's nothing. Picture yourself sprinting into a cement wall and faceplanting into it, that's what you get if you don't prepare.
    So here are all the things you will need to prepare

-The most essential thing you will need is time, you don't complete the Pokedex in 10 minutes while waiting for the bus, it will take weeks or sometimes even months of hard work.

-Next up you want to decide what kind of Pokedex you want to have, do you want a living Pokedex or just a filled Poxedex by itself?
    For the people who don't know I'll shortly explain what I mean.

A living Pokedex means you have every Pokémon that exists in your PC boxes.

Just a filled Pokedex means that you have every entry of every Pokémon in your Pokedex, but don't have them all in your boxes.

-Next up, any way to record the amount of Pokémon you have and/or a way to keep track of what Pokémon you still need to catch.

Personally I used Microsoft Excel to simply put all the Pokemons I needed to catch in a column called "Catch This" and all the Pokemons I had already caught into a column called "Caught".

-Also very important is a tactic, which Pokémon am I going to catch first? When do I have time to work on my Pokedex?

I'll give you some options: Get the starters first, Get legendaries first, Catch all the Pokemons from 1 type then another type and so on, clear out route by route and trade all the Pokemons you didn't catch yet with other players. Of course those are just a few, if you want more inspiration, Google is your friend. :)

-Next up you have to save up a lot of money, in game money of course.
    To even consider catching all the Pokemons out there you will need a ****load of Pokeballs, Repels, Evolution Stones, Escape Ropes etc.

-A Pokémon with Sweet Scent (Optional), if you are looking for Pokemons that are rare, but can be found in horde encounters, you have a bigger chance. Go for it!

-A Pokémon with Intimidate (Optional), this one is for getting to Pokemons like Zygarde, where you have to go trough a big cave to get to the Pokémon itself. Of course, you can just use Repels.

Step 1.5: Neglect Everything I Just Said.
    Of course you can neglect all the hard work it takes to complete this Pokedex, and just fill your boxes with lvl 100 shiny Arceuses using Pokegen or any cheating program like that.

If you do that, then you deserve a cookie (not).

Step 2: Early Stages
    In the first stages of your "I'm going to catch them all!" moment, everything will be fun and exciting like: "Yeah I'll become the best Pokémon trainer ever, and become a champion in those tournaments and then I will do this and that and bla bla bla"

Believe me, if you start taking the Pokedex seriously and want to complete it really badly it literally becomes HELL ON EARTH, so be prepared for that <3

Here are even more tips, for the early stages.

-For low level Pokemons don't use your Ultra Balls or Great balls, use standard Poke Balls or maybe Nest balls, you need those expensive balls for the stronger Pokemons in places like Victory Road.

-Use the GTS, wait the GTS can be useful in any way instead of all those people asking Darkrais for their Wurmples?!?!?

Yes, it can. There are normal people out there that want to use the GTS and are looking for a normal trade. Most of the time you won't find one of those deals because you have to start them yourself. I got every starter out there with just my Sceptile and a Ditto, you breed Treeckos and ask for example a Piplup. In about 10 minutes to 1 hour you will get your Pokémon. Another example is asking a Seviper for your Zangoose, both of them being version exclusive.

-Wonder Trading, it can be useful too!
    If you start a wonder trade you most often will find a Zigzagoon or a Wurmple. But you can also get something completely random, one time I was trading Absols and I came across a lvl 100 shiny Diancie (Which was Pokegenned, and I released it just because of that because I don't like cheaters).
    So if you can't seem to find a Pokémon anywhere just Wonder Trade away and with a lot of luck, you will find your Pokémon.

Step 3: Legendaries
    Legendary Pokemons, you got to love them.
    As is logical, legendary Pokemons are part of the Pokedex too, so they need to be caught somehow, right?

Before I tell you even more tips I want to make a little side note, Event Pokemons like Arceus or Darkrai do not count towards your Pokedex since they were never officially released. So you need not to catch them, unless you are a huge Pokémon fan of course

-Preparing for a Legendary battle
    Legendaries can be difficult so you need to prepare, here is every essential thing you need.

Spore and False Swipe are CRUCIAL, they help you so much.
    Timer, Quick, Ultra and Great balls are essential as well.
    SAVING YOUR GAME BEFORE A BATTLE IS CRUCIAL, I don't even know why I have to tell this, this is common sense for anyone with a brain.

-Keeping your prized Legies secure.

Keep your prized Legendaries secure, yup. Put them in a box and never trade them away, you know what don't even touch them at all.

Step 4: Complete the Hoenn Dex
    Use the tips I gave you to complete the Hoenn Dex like a boss.
    Next step please *drumroll* <3

Step 5: Catch, Trade, Store, Repeat (5 times that is)
    Well Congratulations sir/ma'am you completed the Hoenn Dex! *applause*

Although the Hoenn Dex is almost all of the work (sarcasm confirmed), you still need to do a little bit of work....

with "a little bit of work" I mean eh.... Kanto, Jotho, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos.
    All I can say is simply repeat the steps I have already given you.

and 1 final little detail, you can replay the old gens and use Pokémon Bank, which is an really useful application (that costs money, don't be cheap).

And with that, we finish up this guide like it's nothing.
    I wish you good luck in your noble task to jail every mutated animal on this world and keep them as pets while they fight to the death

Not enough tips for you? That is of course possible. There are a ton of other guides out there to help you, or there will probably be people in the comment section with extra tips and tricks I didn't cover since these are just the basics.

kk bai :D

Last edited:

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • Well, here I am again writing another post. etc....
    This is a great guide for those who are completing the pokedex for the first time! A few things I'd like to add:

- Quick balls are one of the most necessary thing, 5x catch rate off the bat, it will save you A LOT of time (of course if it fails, dusk and ultras are the next best thing)

- Have pokemon with full ev's to use for super secret training, this is the only viable way of getting evolution stones without trading from xy

- The Elite 4 is a great way to evolve pokemon, however Gabby and Ty are also really helpful, they're great for evolving pokemon that only need an extra level or two (they can be found at Route 111, Route 118, and Route 120)

- Chances are you're not going to get Diancie or Hoopa (unless you already got them on another game) since the events are over. Almost all mythical pokemon on the gts are hacked, so if you're fine with it go for it, however they are almost always asking for genesect or meloetta, so good luck

- O-powers are really helpful, the ones you should level up are: hatching; exp. point; capture; and befriending

- When breeding try to have a pokemon that evolves by friendship in your party, this way you won't have to increase it's happiness much when it comes to evolving it

- A pokemon that has an ability that increases encounter rate is good to have, but not necessary (if you do use one, give it a smoke ball to hold)

- This is for those who want the forms for their living dex too. Unown are easy to get, vivillon not so. For vivillon, try to get one (any one) from the gts, then breed said vivillon many times, and evolve each one into vivillon. Then put up vivillon, ask in return for vivillon, and repeat, this will get you the majority of vivillon. The rest you'll usually have to look for in the gts, (be prepared to trade any of your pokemon, within reason, for the rest because some are insanely hard to get)

That's all I have to add, you already covered the majority of things :)

Years
  • This is a great guide for those who are completing the pokedex for the first time! A few things I'd like to add:

- Quick balls are one of the most necessary thing, 5x catch rate off the bat, it will save you A LOT of time (of course if it fails, dusk and ultras are the next best thing)

- Have pokemon with full ev's to use for super secret training, this is the only viable way of getting evolution stones without trading from xy

- The Elite 4 is a great way to evolve pokemon, however Gabby and Ty are also really helpful, they're great for evolving pokemon that only need an extra level or two (they can be found at Route 111, Route 118, and Route 120)

- Chances are you're not going to get Diancie or Hoopa (unless you already got them on another game) since the events are over. Almost all mythical pokemon on the gts are hacked, so if you're fine with it go for it, however they are almost always asking for genesect or meloetta, so good luck

- O-powers are really helpful, the ones you should level up are: hatching; exp. point; capture; and befriending

- When breeding try to have a pokemon that evolves by friendship in your party, this way you won't have to increase it's happiness much when it comes to evolving it

- A pokemon that has an ability that increases encounter rate is good to have, but not necessary (if you do use one, give it a smoke ball to hold)

- This is for those who want the forms for their living dex too. Unown are easy to get, vivillon not so. For vivillon, try to get one (any one) from the gts, then breed said vivillon many times, and evolve each one into vivillon. Then put up vivillon, ask in return for vivillon, and repeat, this will get you the majority of vivillon. The rest you'll usually have to look for in the gts, (be prepared to trade any of your pokemon, within reason, for the rest because some are insanely hard to get)

That's all I have to add, you already covered the majority of things :)

Thanks for the positivity (is that a word?)

This guide covers the basics only, but if the curious reader wants more tips and tricks, I'll redirect them to other guides or comments like these, because holy moly some of the tips you wrote down I didn't even know myself.
    So I thank you for the support and the awesome tips, you truly deserve a cookie.
    11.%20wink.gif

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I would also add some other tips. First have completed the game and battled as many trainers as you can. This makes finding pokémon you haven't caught easier of course.

Quickballs are your friends. They have 5x catch rate on the first turn and it will succeed in a lot of cases.

Catching O-power lvl 3 helps a lot with legendaries. Too good actually because I catched most legendary's in luxury balls.

I would go route to route and catch all the pokémon you can find. Because you have dexnav in Oras you can easily spot and find the pokémon you haven't caught yet but have seen from other trainers.

If you don't have friends to help with trade evolution pokemon you can use the gts for trade evolutions that do not require an item. Searching is your best bet in most cases, but you will find out that there aren't always people looking for the same thing. So the next thing is offering yourself. For example: Offering a machoke and requesting a machoke. For pokémon that require a trade with an item your options are offering a pokemon that evolves via item and asking for a pokemon that is already evolved by trade evolution with an item.
    For example: offering a spiritzee holding a sachet and ask for slurpuff. The best option is trading with a friend you trust. The next best thing is to go to a local place where you can trade with other people. Your final option would be to ask someone on the forum.
    Be aware that there are scammers in real life and on the forum.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would also add some other tips. First have completed the game and battled as many trainers...

You have a point, although I covered some information about these topics (not all of them) this is far more detailed than what I covered. It's mostly a basic guide and things like O-Powers are just an extra little helpful thing. For the curios reader though I've redirected them to the comment section because I knew there would be extra tips for them here.

Don't misunderstand me, I truly do appreciate your reply on this guide!
    Thanks for being awesome!
    20.%20boogie.gif

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • This is a really cool guide, thanks for putting it together, bobby_the_potato! ^^ I still maintain that even after newer main series Pokemon games are released, ORAS will still be the best game for catching them all, since once you have caught them all, you can Dex Nav for them and get hidden abilities, egg moves, and high IVs pretty easily. Plus ORAS has so many Pokemon to catch, so going for them all is pretty fun :)

Years
  • I have to admit, this was definitely something helpful. Not that I needed much out of it but it will definitely help others. Great work there!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I've been thinking about trying to complete a PokéDex, so if I do end up doing so this'll be a fantastic guide! Thanks a lot, Bobby! :)

Back