• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Korean summit: "a new era"?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/27/asia/korean-summit-intl/?no-st=1524861563

Earlier today the leaders of North and South Korea met at the DMZ and signed an agreement vowing to bring a formal end to the Korean War (it technically didn't end in 1953, just a sort of cease-fire or something was done). It also seemed that perhaps the two nations are interested in denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and a more friendly and open relationship between the north and south.

This is apparently not the first time they've made motions towards this sort of thing though, so we'll see how things actually end up going in the days/weeks/months to come, although people seem to feel that this time will be for real and seem to be somewhat hopeful.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I'm not hopeful. Kim Jong Un is still a dirtbag, a few handshakes and talks won't change that.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • This is a pretty major event in world history and I'm glad that so far it seems to have gone over well. Of course I don't trust Kim or his motivations; you'd be a fool to. But if he wants to take a step away from the "purge the US in nuclear fire" rhetoric and toward deescalation, that's an extremely good thing no matter how you cut it.

I don't think Trump's going to get anywhere with his disarmament talk, but we'll see. For all the times he's said or done things that really rub me the wrong way, he's also sometimes pleasantly surprised me in ways I didn't expect, like this talk taking place at all. This whole thing kind of came out of left field; I wasn't expecting things go to this well, I'm just glad they did.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    This is a pretty major event in world history and I'm glad that so far it seems to have gone over well. Of course I don't trust Kim or his motivations; you'd be a fool to. But if he wants to take a step away from the "purge the US in nuclear fire" rhetoric and toward deescalation, that's an extremely good thing no matter how you cut it.

I don't think Trump's going to get anywhere with his disarmament talk, but we'll see. For all the times he's said or done things that really rub me the wrong way, he's also sometimes pleasantly surprised me in ways I didn't expect, like this talk taking place at all. This whole thing kind of came out of left field; I wasn't expecting things go to this well, I'm just glad they did.

This is assuming NK even gets rid of their nukes, but we'll see.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I honestly really like this, and even though I will never trust him, the less he wants to drop a nuclear bomb on our country or anyone we're allied with, or... any of them at all, the better.

Do I believe it will change things? No, but part of me really hopes it will, for the better.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Denuclearization of the Kim regime is all well and good, no countless lives are at risk and it's a milestone for US-NK relations, but the best outcome in the future, probably far in the future, would be the collapse of the Kim regime (and the criminals are brought to justice for inhumane crimes), the country's economy is booming, with a fair non oppressive government and the people are living decently.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I doubt Trump will get anywhere with denuclearization when he's been extremely openly happy about American access to nukes and has even talked about using them in the past. Not to mention you can't really trust him not to start some sort of shitstorm with the people he was meant to be building a positive relationship with like with Russia. This is without even taking into account that the other side in all this is a straight up tyrant with a bad temper.

I'm hopeful for the future of the Koreas, I'm not at all hopeful for any long-term improvement in US-NK relations, I'm just waiting to see which leader screws the other.

Back