• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Demonic Core - Alchemy Based RP(M-Rated/Other)

crimsoncero

In El-Harim, there lived a man, a man with yellow
Years
  • The Demonic Core

For the last few years, I've had a story in my mind. In the years, the world and characters had many changes, but I believe I've came to an iteration I like. So here it is:

In the RP world, every human being, have a special organ. This organ is not physical, yet one can feel it. There are many names to it, the divine organ, the ethereal heart, but it is mostly referred to as "The Core".
    The Core has given humans the ability to perform alchemy; although most people doesn't have the education or the talent to use it, thus it is a rare sight.
    By the years alchemy have been categorized to three different types:

Physical Alchemy – also referred to as Elemental Alchemy, based on the four basic elements, Fire, Earth, Water and Air. The most common and basic form of alchemy.

Aether Alchemy – Based on the Aether element, which controls space and time. Specializes in telekinesis, telepathy, communications, light and similar aspects.

Spirit Alchemy – Unlike the other types, doesn't based on an element but rather on the soul of the alchemist, unique to each individual.

The players will be in a group of alchemists which got invited to join the journey to discover the roots of this demonic core. The journey will also expose the group to the world they live in and will face them with questions about what is right and wrong, and how they want to shape the world with the powers given to them.

I want this RP to be able to touch some hard and complicated issues, so it will be M rated.
    If anyone got questions I'll be glad to answer, also as a side note, I'm quite busy right now so I don't believe it will be happening soon, but if there will be interest I'll start working on it sooner.

"We are all corrupted, whether by this world, the gods, or by our own demonic core"

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I'd think I'd like an explanation of what is exactly meant by Alchemy, but this actually sounds realy nice. I love the idea of an extra sense/organ (like a sixth sense). However, I basically get the feeling that Aether Alchemy would basically be... OP/god-tier. Being able to manipulate time and space and telekinesis seems like some dangerous abilities. Though, of course, I don't know how you're handling distribution or Alchemist-related things.

I do like RPs that make the character re-examine the world that they live in and they ideas that they've had about it. Seeing the world as so much more than the bubble that they live in and that really allows an RPer to show their strengths when it comes to character development. I think this is a good RP idea and I think as long as you have an interesting plot down, which from what you've explained you do, that this idea should be well-received.

I like it and I'm definitely interested in hearing/seeing more about it.

crimsoncero

Years
  • I didn't want to bombard this post with information, but I'll explain a bit about alchemy:

There is the soul, which is the source of energy of every living being, the core is a medium through which the energy transform into a specific type. For every living being, the core is used to transform spirit energy to life force.
    Alchemists use the core to transmute the elements. Souls Alchemy is a bit unique in that that it doesn't perform transmutation on an element but rather on the soul, also why it's unique to each person(and not everyone having it).
    The fact that the core and soul energy is used for both life force and magic means that when you use magic you drain from your life source, thus using something that requires too much energy, may have bad consequences(even death).

For your question how to balance the three schools of magic,
    Every alchemist starts by learning the basics through elemental alchemy. On top of that, every character will have a school which it will prime in, if they pick Aether or Soul, they will also have basic understanding of Elemental, but not vice versa.
    The important thing though, is that each character will have a specialty in something, similar to Fullmetal Alchemist, where each Alchemist had a unique way of fighting and using alchemy.

Aether is mostly utility based alchemy, enhancing your speed, communications, telepathy, telekinesis(which is kinda the only offensive part of it, and even this isn't that offensive). On top of that it's more limited than Elemental.

Soul can be many different things in general, but for a character it's a specific thing(For example, one of my characters have wings and a bow with energy arrows, but that's it).

Elemental is very, very open, and can be very op if done right.

Balancing the characters will be something I'll have to keep watching, but hopefully people in here will be kind enough to not go out of control.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sounds interesting! However, it also sounds like a very large scale RP, plotwise. I would probably recommend you to plan so that it's not going to take several years to finish the RP (which is actually usually the case with large scale plot RPs on this site). Set a goal, even though the RPing itself can become pretty free and influenced by the RPers actions and choices.

crimsoncero

Years
  • Sounds interesting! However, it also sounds like a very large scale RP, plotwise. I would probably recommend you to plan so that it's not going to take several years to finish the RP (which is actually usually the case with large scale plot RPs on this site). Set a goal, even though the RPing itself can become pretty free and influenced by the RPers actions and choices.

You have a good point, I will have to look upon how I want the RP to be. The setting was not something I planned for a RP, more for a novel or a game, so it is something I need to adjust to fit into the structure of a RP.
    What I think I'll do, is have a main plot-line, but have mini plot like events that will be the main issue the players will confront, behind the scenes and in the big frame, the main plot drives all the events.

Back